WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hiking the AT (with the nothing really but the dream)

Hi! Recently in life I have thrown caution to the wind and decided to plan an epic attempt at a thru hike. I am living off nothing due to a low paying job just so I can achieve this goal while I complete my first semester in school since I was 18. It is truly a feat so far. I was wondering if any others on this site were not as well off financially upon attempting a thru hike? I read constantly about people having but I was wondering what is the least anyone has taken with them (besides essentials.) Thanks.

Images

you can hike as far as the money takes you. i found when i was poor my money went farther staying put.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

There will undoubtedly be situations where having money will help. But if you decide to go hike until the well runs dry, its up to you. Some hikers have also found temp jobs on the trail to keep the dream alive. Just cut out town stays.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

It has reportedly been done in the recent past with full kit of gear and around $1000.00 cash. One must be both frugal and fortunate to make this work. The norm these days seems to be 4 times that amount and up, from what has been reported here. I like the sound of your adventure. Wherever you end up you can look for work if needed.

Journal Entries

I decided to thru hike when I did because I was running out of money and needed to make some major changes in my life, and I knew if I waited a year I would not be able to afford it.

As for your situation, people regret more what they could have done with their life and didn't then the other way around. Follow your heart and be true to yourself is my advice. IMHO even if you don't make it you will be better off ten if you never tried.

2 of us hiked in '77 on $700.
    Made it to Delaware Water Gap (NJ/PA border) going NOBO.
    We were very frugal, using a $6 tube tent that we got wet in a few times.
    Things are more expensive now, but if you want to, you can still cook beans and rice and avoid towns like we did.
    (beans and rice have perhaps doubled in price since '77 but are still cheap)
    Of course they take a long time to cook so, you have to plan a lot and carry extra weight (soak them all day in your water bottle helps a lot)

Your biggest problem is the mental game.
    When your friends are going to town for a motel, shower, steak and beer, and you have to stay in the woods (again) and eat your beans and rice.................
    Well, this is quite the problem, aye?

Keep in mind after a month, you'll be hungry most of the time.
    But, not saying it can't be done.
    Just takes a strong mind.

As Grandma Gatewood said: It's more head than heel.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    We were very frugal, using a $6 tube tent that we got wet in a few times.
    Things are more expensive now, but if you want to, you can still cook beans and rice and avoid towns like we did.
    (beans and rice have perhaps doubled in price since '77 but are still cheap)
    Of course they take a long time to cook so, you have to plan a lot and carry extra weight (soak them all day in your water bottle helps a lot)

Your biggest problem is the mental game.
    When your friends are going to town for a motel, shower, steak and beer, and you have to stay in the woods (again) and eat your beans and rice.................
    Well, this is quite the problem, aye?

Keep in mind after a month, you'll be hungry most of the time.
    But, not saying it can't be done.
    Just takes a strong mind.

What cost 700 is now about 7000. Just saying. In 77 you could buy a new car for 2500. Now it will cost 25000.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    What cost 700 is now about 7000. Just saying. In 77 you could buy a new car for 2500. Now it will cost 25000.
    not quite.
    The average house cost $48,800
    Equivalent today: $176,169

The average car cost $5,800
    Equivalent today: $20,938

The average wage was $9,779
    Equivalent today: $35,302

so about 4 times, even $2800 for two to Pa. ain't bad
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Corajb, Will taking six months off work, however low paying, and then spending what little money you do have, honestly help your life situation?
    If you really think it will, then go hike. But leave enough money aside to get back home or somewhere safe when you are done hiking. I, and I'm sure others, see a few (mostly young) hikers every year in VT and NH who have run out of money. They're hanging about a shelter, yogi-ing (begging) food, rides, and everything else. It isn't where you want to wind up. Because at that point you are no longer a thru-hiker, just a homeless person.

This is going to be a really, really unpopular opinion, I think, but I'm going to through it out.

People expect to spend way too much on the AT.

If one has their gear, and can maintain not spending money on town meals, hotel/motel/hostels, beer, and other stuff, and can just keep spending to food and any gear replacement, it can be done for a lot less.

I am going to oversimplify some of this, but it will still show possibility (plausibility is the difference of individuals).

A typical trail meal is a knorr side/potato bag/rice side. Cost, about $1. Serving of tuna, about $1. Tortilla shell, olive oil, spices, together, about $1.

Lunch, some peanut butter and tortillas, $1-2 dollars.

Breakfast, Oatmeal, $0.50 -1.00.

Snacks, 2-4 snickers, $2-3.

$6.50-7.00 a day.

5 months times 30.6 days = 152 (rounded up), add for zeros, 175

$1,064

2 replacement pairs of shoes, $100 (not hard to go to places that sell last year's shoes and get brnd new trail runners for $50)

$1,164

Accounting for fuel and other consumables (tape, vitamin I, etc)

$1,250.

Is it easy for most, nope. Is it possible? HELL YES. I am fairly sure it could be done for less than that even. All depends on the hike the person wants to hike.

Also, no one is ever "just a homeless person." You don't know their stories, their struggles, their situations, so let's not be dismissive, judgmental, or condescending.

I have been waiting over 30 years for my AT adventure. I'm having to wait for road blocks to disappear. I'm hoping for a 2015 start. After buying gear I want at least $2500 to cover my trip. If I don't have that amount I will just try again in 2016. I think you should wait until the funds are there. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyte View Post
    5 months times 30.6 days = 152 (rounded up), add for zeros, 175
    Unless those zeros are going to be taken in the woods somewhere, I think the $1,250 budget is blown right off the bat due to town expenses (hostel, shower, food, etc).
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by skinnbones View Post
    I have been waiting over 30 years for my AT adventure. I'm having to wait for road blocks to disappear. I'm hoping for a 2015 start. After buying gear I want at least $2500 to cover my trip. If I don't have that amount I will just try again in 2016. I think you should wait until the funds are there. Good luck.

A lot of people choose to do it that way, skinnbones. They want to enjoy the trail experience and all that it has to offer. In that regard, it's like saving up for a vacation. You can vacation on a budget or wait until you can do comfortably... whatever that looks like... you decide.
    Shuttles can really be expensive. Also, like someone already pointed out, not many hikers stay in the woods as much as they used too.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post

My brother and I hiked from ME to VA in 1976 and did not spent probably about the same amount. But to put things in perspective, I bought a beer at a tavern near Rausch Gap for 25 cents, hotel rooms were about $8 - $10. On my 2010 thru I spent over $5000.
    More walking, less talking.

It is a rare person with the necessary skills to make a true thru-hike with no or little money. There is probably a book in it for the person who does it. They will have to combine the "depression era street smarts" and a "backwoods survivor" into one character. He will be skilled at the "short con" living on the bum and I don't think that cleaning out hiker boxes and maxing on hiker feeds will be enough to get him all the way. I see more and more "bums" out there "working the trail"(we call them homeless these days) every year but the don't get too many miles in. That's not hiking. You see them holed up at shelters and hanging around free hostels. Sometimes at the supermarket in trail towns with a good story about keeping the dream alive. I have read about a few hikers who have used the modern technology and social media networking to find sponsorship to work the "long con" on the hometown folks to contribute enough for a thru-hike. That takes yet more skill. Brings new meaning to HYOH.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nyte View Post
    Also, no one is ever "just a homeless person." You don't know their stories, their struggles, their situations, so let's not be dismissive, judgmental, or condescending.
    Wasn't being judgmental. Statement of fact. You can't be on vacation hiking without money for food and supplies. If you have no visible means of support - have no money and no job and no place to live, you are a homeless person under today's terminology. FWIW, I thought it was less dismissive, judgmental, or condescending than calling them a panhandler, bum, or vagrant as they might have been labeled in the past.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries

I would think hiking for less than. $1,500 would be so hard. even that doesn't count hotels and hostels, which are really important for morale. hiawasee is what drives so many through Georgia and then the mind uses amenities in Franklin NOC Gatlinburg Hot Springs Erwin Damascus ect and so on drive your will up the trail. anyone that can hike without really enjoying themselves in these places is quite amazing. god Bless u and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

The reality is people who try to hike the AT with very little money don't make it very far. They typcially don't have the gear nor the experiance to pull it off. Just ask Ron Haven how many pennyless "hikers" have shown up at his door step begging for help. And if you do give these people money, the first thing they buy is a 6 pack and cigerettes. Granted this is not always the case, but I've seen it often enough to become cynical about it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I think anyone with the drive and intestinal fortitude, outdoor skills, good knowledge of plants and able to trap small game may do well but, they would have to be good also in mending gear and just take into account expendables. I have done many things in life with pure drive and just doing without and it never took the enjoyment from anything. I think you will do ok IF you have these things that I have mentioned. As far as money goes, If you aren't concerned about time and don't mind spending a week or two at some part-time job, so what if it takes you a year. As long as you are single, bills are paid and nothing hanging over your head, I say go for it and good luck.

"able to trap small game" Really? I'm pretty sure that would land you in a real mess if you got caught. Besides trapping requires waiting, not really conducive to making miles.
    COG 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++