WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Underquilt Protection

So I have my hammock now (HH) and hopefully will be getting a UQ soon. The question I have...will I need a waterproof barrier for my UQ when using the standard asym tarp? Down and water does not mix well. Thanks! (thinking of rain splatter, fog..etc)

Images

An UnderQuiltProtector from 2QZQ is probably a worthwhile purchase. Get the breathable one. That will at least help with splatter and somewhat with fog. Many makers are using the hydrophobic down now, and that seems like a good idea, too, when you get ready to buy. Will you NEED the UQP or the special down? The answer is probably not, but it will give you peace of mind, and might save you if a setup mistake happens.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

I've never used an Asym tarp before I use a custom cuban hex from HG but even in bad condition where there was heavy fog and moisture I've never had an issue with my UQ. Checkout HG Hammock Gear. Adam is a great guy to work with. I get all my fly, TQs, and UQs from him. I dont know how long you have had your HH hammock but if your able to return it I would highly recommend that you check out Papasmurfs hammocks at Dream Hammocks. I have own several HH and sold them all after using a dream hammock. My Darien UL with full suspension and stuff sack weights 12oz and my cuban fly 5oz. Total weight is 1lbs 1oz. I couldn't be happier with it and Ron aka Papasmurfs is an awesome guy to work with.

What makes a dream hammock so much better?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs4U View Post
    Nothing. My assumption, though, is that you're asking because you feel a hammock is a hammock, am I right? There's a lot of hammocks out there now, most are a lot alike, but there are variations and customizations that make them different. Kind of like backpacks - ever look a the backpack wall in REI (and rows of hook shelves) and wonder why there were so many? Its become a very personal gear item with makers trying to make their own niche. So, for the right person, the Dream Hammock is just the right thing. For another, its nothing more than a glorified version of ButtInASling.com hammock. Or a SimplyLightDesigns.com hammock. Or a WarbonnetOutdoors.com hammock. Or a WildernessLogics.com hammock. I could go on...
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by Shonryu View Post
    My Darien UL with full suspension and stuff sack weights 12oz and my cuban fly 5oz. Total weight is 1lbs 1oz. I couldn't be happier with it and Ron aka Papasmurfs is an awesome guy to work with.
    Could you give some info on your Darien UL? When I go to the website and select the Darien, 10', 1.1 fabric, whoopee slings, and narrowest width, it comes up with a weight of 16 oz. Is the UL a special order?

Quote Originally Posted by toblazeornottoblaze View Post
    will I need a waterproof barrier for my UQ when using the standard asym tarp?
    With the standard asym tarp, the simple answer is yes. You will need extra protection for sure.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    An UnderQuiltProtector from 2QZQ is probably a worthwhile purchase. Get the breathable one. That will at least help with splatter and somewhat with fog. Many makers are using the hydrophobic down now, and that seems like a good idea, too, when you get ready to buy. Will you NEED the UQP or the special down? The answer is probably not, but it will give you peace of mind, and might save you if a setup mistake happens.
    Yep, good idea. It will also help with the wind leaking under the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs4U View Post
    I did my AT hike with a Dream Hammocks Dangerbird which has a weathershield in addition to bug netting. (That's on top not the bottom) That raises the inside temp by 15 to 20 degrees and blocks all wind. To me that was WAY better. Regarding the UQ....I didn't bring any protection for it and the only problem with moisture I had was when we experienced very heavy fog in the Smokies.

Cat in the Hat

AT 2012

HH makes a silnylon undercover as part of their winter package (or at least they did). Has a slit and all. Could be a good addition to your under quilt, although I'm not sure if it would cause condensation. As a former former former user of the stockade asym tarp, splash up on the underside is more than likely.
    Lazarus

AT 2012

Silly autocorrect ... Stock, not stack add...
    Lazarus

AT 2012

Wow. One more time ... Stock, not stock add either!
    Lazarus

Images

Jacks R better use to sell an under cover which I use check them out

Images

i have done fine with the asylm stock tarp. never got quilt wet, but its heavy. got a 9-11 8oz. cuben tarp from z-pack (custom) what would the weight of the stock tarp and quilt cover be??
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

The UQ protection is 6.5oz and I think my tarp weighs in at 8 ozs. (Hennessy Hammock tarp) The Cuben fiber stuff seems to be really light and pricey.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by toblazeornottoblaze View Post
    The UQ protection is 6.5oz and I think my tarp weighs in at 8 ozs. (Hennessy Hammock tarp) The Cuben fiber stuff seems to be really light and pricey.
    stock tarps are about 14 oz. with independent suspension about 18oz. PS you are separating the tarp from hammock. right? will be hard to stay dry otherwise.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    I did my AT hike with a Dream Hammocks Dangerbird which has a weathershield in addition to bug netting. (That's on top not the bottom) That raises the inside temp by 15 to 20 degrees and blocks all wind. To me that was WAY better. Regarding the UQ....I didn't bring any protection for it and the only problem with moisture I had was when we experienced very heavy fog in the Smokies.

Cat in the Hat
    Did you have any issues with condensation with the weather shield? Is it removable for warm weather?

Quote Originally Posted by Nooga View Post
    Did you have any issues with condensation with the weather shield? Is it removable for warm weather?
    I usually left a small opening and experienced zero condensation. He does make a model which allows for the removal of both the top shield and the bug netting. I believe it's called the Thunderbird.

I've recently made two hammocks and a tarp and now looking at making an UQ, what I plan to use as an outside layer is some type of DWR treated material. I'm thinking that should be adequate to protect it from spash and on rare occassion wind blown rain.

++ New Posts ++