WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Travel by Grayhound

For those that have traveled by bus, and other than what I am reading on Grayhound's website, what are some of the ins and outs of traveling to parts of the trail by bus?

I've never traveled by bus before.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

henry
    Journal Entries

:banana greyhound travel tip

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    For those that have traveled by bus, and other than what I am reading on Grayhound's website, what are some of the ins and outs of traveling to parts of the trail by bus?

I've never traveled by bus before.

never sit next to the ****-er door

I have never traveled to the trail on a bus but I have taken a few Greyhound rides. Don't expect first class and don't get upset if somebody on the bus is smelly. Delays are common and some people are rude but all in all it's not that bad. I think it really depends on your attitude going in.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

My friend was starting his long distance hike a few years ago and was in the Port Authority in NYC with his pack waiting on line for his bus. Somebody came up behind him and unzipped his pack, without him knowing it, and stole a bunch of stuff. Ultimately it wasn't stuff the thief could use, it was maps and some other odds & ends, but it did create a lot of hassle for him at the start of his hike. So I'd advise you to keep a very close eye on your pack at all times.

-

put your pack in a cardboard box - the rattyer looking the better and tape the hell out of it

do not get on first, so you can choose who to sit by

I've travelled to Gainesville several times via greyhound. I keep valuables with me at all times In pockets or a tote bag I can toss once the trip is over, everything else goes inside or seriously attached to my pack. The pack goes on with me, not under the bus. Dress in plain clothes, never show that you have money, be pleasant but not overly friendly. Beware of non greyhound employees that offer assistance. There are a lot of cons working the stations. Keep your stuff in sight when in stations, only wear the pack when moving, otherwise keep it in front of you. Basically, be street smart. Also, as someone has already said, don't be in a rush, the bus is slow and you may have delays. If you don't check your pack you don't have to worry about losing it. Stay on the stations! Bus goes to bad parts of town often, if you are a older and it's go outside be quick and careful. It's a little rough and uncomfortable to travel by bus but hey it's cheap and hikers are adaptable! Happy trails!

Ok that was supposed to say stay in the stations and if you are a smoker , not an older. I guess I better start proof reading lol.

1. Bring headphones.
    2. Bring snacks.
    3. Bring a small pillow.
    4. Bring a charger.
    5. Bring a book.
    6. When I say bring, I mean have them on your person not your pack. Otherwise, you will be wistfully thinking that your pack is just two feet below you in the hold while you are starving, bored to tears being forced to listen to your crazy-assed seat mate and unable to sleep.
    7. Sit above the cargo hold where you can keep an eye that your pack stays put.
    8. If you have to transfer buses, get in line early to insure your seat. Also, as mentioned, buses run late. Make sure you leave adequate transfer time as needed.
    9. Bring a drink.
    10. Be polite to the bus driver.
    11. If the bus is not fully loaded, you can try to sit in the aisle seat to discourage a seatmate. People will select an open aisle seat faster than the window. The more the bus fills up, the less effective this is. You can also try sitting in the window seat and stare stone - faced out the window. Have your headphones on, sunglasses too. People are less likely to ask if the empty seat is taken. Or start talking on your phone while the bus is loading.
    12. If you don’t get on early, you are going to need to pick a seatmate. Think about your pet peeves carefully. People with headphones on too loud is one of mine, especially late night runs.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Did it once in my life. From Columbia to Tampa. Will not do it twice in my life. I would hitchhike before getting on a Greyhound again.

If it's 40 degrees and raining hard, Greyhound is marginally better than clinging to the side of a freight train.

There's Megabus too, they have a departure point in your area. It's more of a connector bus I've found for reaching the AT. Meaning, you might need to transfer to another carrier at some point. It does go to Christiansburg, VA.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I've ridden the bus a lot to and from the trail. # 8 and #11 of Alligators list are the most important. I always try my best to get a seat a few rows back from the front and an isle seat. That area is less bumpy and less noisy (engine noise and passangers) then near the rear. An isle seat allows you to streach your legs out. If your skinny and take a window seat, you can bet the biggest person to get on the bus will sit next to you and crush you into the window.

Try not to travel if there is going to be any bad weather between points. That's where the delays stem from. Mid week is usually the best time to travel.

It's not always practical to carry your pack onto the bus unless it's daypack sized. I cinch up all the straps and buckel the waist belt around the back of the pack. Helps keep the straps from getting snagged on anything. Only once did I have to crawl inside the luggage compartment to find my pack which got shoved behind other luggage so was missed by the handler.

Your constantly being reminded not to leave luggage unattended or it may be searched and/or distroyed. There seems to be an unwritten code of conduct which allows cell phones being charged and left unattended not to be touched. But I'd be careful with an iphone or other high end device. Many of the buses these days now have wi-fi (which is not reliable) and 110 AC outlets at each seat, so charging or using electronic devices isn't a problem.

Other than that, don't fall for sob stories of the con artists who work the bus station. Some of them are really good, like I only need a few more dollars for a ticket to get home or to see my dying mother. If the trip takes more then an overnight, you will become a zombie from lack of sleep and that takes a toll on your wits.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    If it's 40 degrees and raining hard, Greyhound is marginally better than clinging to the side of a freight train.
    Oh yea, it can get cold on the bus, especially if you get forced to sit next to the window. Make sure you have your fleece jacket with you.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Do not be surprised to hear lots of stories about jail, prison, and other activities that might lead someone to being in one of those places. A lot of good suggestions here. I believe I might take ear plugs with me next time.

On the positive side, I had not ridden a bus in over 30 years until this summer, so I was pleasantly surprised with the electrical outlets and WiFi on the bus!
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by RCBear View Post
    Did it once in my life. From Columbia to Tampa. Will not do it twice in my life. I would hitchhike before getting on a Greyhound again.
    +1

Atlanta-Tucson. I'd walk before I'd do that again.

Greyhound likes to sell more tickets than seats available on their busses so on occasion your transfer bus might show up already full or without enough seats so you'll be forced to wait for another one. Some routes have priority boarding you can purchase at the stations for like 5 bucks that gives you front of the line privilege so that won't happen to you.

Buy a refundable ticket. Otherwise, when they mess up and you make other arrangements you're out your fare. Do not depend on them for meeting any schedule. If (more likely when) there is a problem, expect the worst possible customer service. Finally, When the refuse to make good on their screw up, whatever it is, see your better business bureau. They respond to them.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I would only ride greyhound as a last resort. Trailways Or concord are very good.
    I have been section hiking the AT for six yrs. going one week at a time from NC. So i've ridden and flowned about everything from NC to ME. Greyhound employees are all very difficult to deal with. they all asume you know how their system works, then if you make a mistake your screwed. Theres no such thing as resrevation. It is where you are in the loading line that determines if you get on. . if bus is full you have to get in line for the next bus. I could go on for an hour, but i'm getting mad just thinking about them.

Headphones are a must.

Drinks and snacks are a must (station prices and selection suck horribly)

Light jacket is a must.

If your pack is small enough to be carry on, make it so. If not, put it inside a cheap duffel if you can. Some stations will refuse cardboard boxes as luggage.

Anything that looks like a knife, put it in your bag. Some middle of no where stations, where you have to get off the bus so they can service it, will wand you and make you empty your pockets to reboard, and make you give up anything that looks like a knife.

Anything valuable or electronic, stays on you or in your carry on.

If you have an empty seat next to you, and the bus is picking up passengers, lean/lay across it and pretend to be asleep.

If you need drinks, and you have the opportunity, take it. The bus will get behind and you will miss scheduled station time. I have traveled by bus far too much, and it has never not happened.

If you are taking poles, put them in pcv tubes, with caps, especially if your bag is going under the bus. They WILL stack other luggage on top of it, shoved hard against it, and drag your bag when loading/unloading.

Something that can work like a pillow, in addition to your jacket, is a good idea.

Wear comfortable clothes, nothing else about the ride will be comfortable, might as well not have clothes make it worse.

When the bus stops, and you are getting off (either because it's your stop, to get something in the station, or you have to because it's a service stop), either be up and at the front before the bus is pulling in, or relax and be patient while everyone jostles and bottlenecks.

The views on the right side of the bus are usually nicer. Usually.

If the bus stops at a travel plaza or truck stop for a food break, be on the bus before the driver. They will leave you there.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Buy a refundable ticket. Otherwise, when they mess up and you make other arrangements you're out your fare. Do not depend on them for meeting any schedule. If (more likely when) there is a problem, expect the worst possible customer service. Finally, When the refuse to make good on their screw up, whatever it is, see your better business bureau. They respond to them.
    refundable ticket pricing is commonly double - the issues requiring refund are less than 1 in 20 - paying the extra is a waste

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++