WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Is that a coffee press in the pic?
    Slick! Were did you pick it up?
    I have a Jetboil coffee press but I don't want to carry it.

Indeed. I got it From REI.

Snow Peak, Titanium French Press
    Item #7080690014

Thanks. I'll take a look.

I got my Whisperlite out to check it... pumps well,held pressure, lit.

Unscrewed the pump to release the pressure, and the O-ring broke! Put the cap back on the bottle, and it now leaks!
    O-rings on their way....

The issue is the O-ring, not the pump. Mine leaked and I tried to light it twice; I failed to check the condition of the O-ring at home.

The Whisperlite is heavy, was my first stove, yet is now reserved for winter camps having been replaced by Pocket Rocket and MiniBull Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by OhCanada View Post
    The issue is the O-ring, not the pump. Mine leaked and I tried to light it twice; I failed to check the condition of the O-ring at home.

The Whisperlite is heavy, was my first stove, yet is now reserved for winter camps having been replaced by Pocket Rocket and MiniBull Designs.
    Yes the O-rings are important. They are what doomed the space shuttle back in '87.

Part if backpacking is upgrading equipment EVEN WHEN it doesn't need to be replaced. It's sort of like flying an airplane and replacing parts just because it's time and not because they are worn out.

When you're out for long periods of time and you can't deal successfully with gear issues, it's smart to replace stove pumps on a periodic basis or do a complete rebuild. I carry a brand new spare MSR pump with me on every trip and my go-to pump is always refurbished on a 6 month basis.

I also replace my Thermarest inflatable pads about once every 18 months no matter what shape they are in. And I carry a spare hipbelt buckle just in case my normal plastic buckle snaps or gets stepped on.

A stove is a tricky backpacking item. Upgrading with new equipment is prudent and advisable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++