WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Need advice from experianced Thru-Hikers ONLY!!!

Can someone give me a general list of gear I should l have doing a thru-hike?

I just want to make sure I have just enough and not to much

http://www.backpacker.com/appalachia...ist/gear/12536

This is a general gear list to help. I am not very experienced so I don't have any advice. I hope this reference helps.

Oh wow that helps greatly....TNX A LOT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by paschen56 View Post
    Oh wow that helps greatly....TNX A LOT
    No problem, I just thought you would want a realistic gear list. Will your adventure have an online journal? I will certainly follow it and provide any assistance possible in PA. I also have a child getting ready to go to college. Will you please hike to raise money for her?

Guess what?.... you need to stop starting random threads! I thought you were legit at first but not anymore!

I don't know how to use this thing and had no clue about threads and all am I supposed to just start a thread and stick with that one?

I don't know how to use this thing and had no clue about threads and all am I supposed to just start a thread and stick with that one?
    I'm sorry paschen56... I just saw the other thread you started and you seemed to contradict yourself. People come on forums just to "play around".

It's hard to tell on the internet, what's really going on. If you are legit, please accept my apology.

If you want to learn about hiking, you've come to the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post

If you want to learn about hiking, you've come to the right place.
    He wouldn't know that based on the responses he has gotten to his question.

Paschen, if you start your threads in the Straight Forward section you shouldn't get so many BS responses.

can you inbox me and help me with this thread thing, I keep getting ridiculed for trying to do something for the younger less fortunate people and all I am asking for is advice. Would greatly appreciate it.

Images

For a yo-yo I would travel light, really light. A super lightweight loin clothe would be all I would take. More than that you are a namby pamby.

Maybe you should post YOUR gear list so the experienced can give you feedback

Your threads are numbered, bud.... I'm not talking about your loin cloth.

Images

Your threads are numbered, bud.... I'm not talking about your loin cloth.
    He will be moving so fast that he could put a number on his loin clothe aka NASCAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    He will be moving so fast that he could put a number on his loin clothe aka NASCAR.
    LOL...

He's confuzzled... he just PMed me!

Images

LOL...

He's confuzzled... he just PMed me!
    Is there a emoticon for sitting and eating popcorn. I really need that one.

Hold a min... I'll see what I can find.

Just use this.

I am serious I at first was going to do a thru hike the decided I wanted to to go further by doing a yo-yo hike and since I love helping younger people less fortunate so I am talking to the Ronald McDonald house for kids with the hope of them being the recipient from the charity as well as helping me plan the charity part of this expedition and I am also trying to get Job Corp (vocational school I graduated from) to be a sponsor for the charity drive.....Now yes I know trying to do this and leave by Feb. will be almost impossible so I am probably have to start the beg. of next year.......no offense but now do you think I am just on here "PLAYING AROUND"

Images

I am serious I at first was going to do a thru hike the decided I wanted to to go further by doing a yo-yo hike and since I love helping younger people less fortunate so I am talking to the Ronald McDonald house for kids with the hope of them being the recipient from the charity as well as helping me plan the charity part of this expedition and I am also trying to get Job Corp (vocational school I graduated from) to be a sponsor for the charity drive.....Now yes I know trying to do this and leave by Feb. will be almost impossible so I am probably have to start the beg. of next year.......no offense but now do you think I am just on here "PLAYING AROUND"
    Either you are:
    1) a troll who is putting multiple threads of known controversy.
    2) extremely unlucky and somewhat clueless as to what they are getting into.

i clearly was in the camp of number 1 and if I was wrong then I apologize for my rather rude response. Now assuming it is number 2 and I will address multiple threads in an attempt to actually help. As far as gear you will get a much better response if you state the seasons you are expecting to hike, mileage expectations and your gear list. All of this is needed in order for folks to give an INTELLIGENT perspective. As far as your yo-yo. There have scores of people, predominately very inexperienced that have never hiked a long trail yet believe they will set a speed record, do a calendar year triple crown or yo-yo one of the long trails. To my knowledge none of the inexperience folks have succeeded. So you get automatic skepticism for even suggestion this. Couple this with asking an open ended question of "what gear do I take" and you end up with the natural reaction that you got.

On the yo-yo. If you are serious about doing it then do it solo. It is almost impossible to find a credible partner that can and is willing to do this. And if there is one, they likely wouldn't be interested in partnering with you due to your inexperience. Further you will be doing a faster pace unless you decide to spend many, many months on the trail. Few do a pace faster than four months, few are capable and fewer are willing. So bottom line, I would expect to do it solo. (Read dogwood post careful, within the sarcasm are many nuggets of truth.)

fund raising. If you are looking to find someone to pay for your vacation then you will get little if any help on here. If you are willing to pay your way and also raise money you may have a bit more support. As far as sponsors, I know folks that are sponsored but it gear not financial. I would expect that you will struggle finding a sponsor that will provide financial backing, you have not talked of a track record, only the dream, however misguided of a yo-yo. Further, why would NatGeo be interested in a yo-yo. There are far more aggressive adventures done every year. Example being Swami's calendar year triple crown. Even with that accomplishment there wasn't a lot of NatGeo style interest and his accomplishment was truly world class.

bottom line, assuming you aren't a troll, good luck in the future.

Edit: slogoen and I were typing at the same time. See, you got the same answer from two people independently.
    Last edited by Malto; 01-09-2014 at 14:40.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++