WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: need advice

Default need advice

on how to obtain a sponcer for doing a yo-yo hike

Images

Check with Duncan to see if they are sponcering [sic] hiking with a yo-yo.

Hey paschen56.. I was curious about your first thread so I just read your Bio on your profile page. Sounds like you've been through a lot in your life. God Bless you!

I'm not sure how well getting a sponsor for even a thru-hike goes over on here... I would say not very well. So that's why you got that response. It would be better if you tried to work and save up some money to hike the trail. Here's why- that's what most people do. It's a dream/goal that people have,so they work hard & save up enough to fulfill that dream/goal.

If you try to ask for a sponsor it is seen as a form of "begging". I mean people find ways to do that but it's not looked upon as a "cool" thing to do. I have to agree with that as well. I'm sure you didn't realize that or you wouldn't have put yourself out there like that.

Welcome to the site! I hope you can figure out a way to make your hike happen.

There are web sites where you can ask people for money to do things like taking a hike. You do need to have a really, really compelling story to get people (or companies) to sponsor you.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by paschen56 View Post
    on how to obtain a sponcer for doing a yo-yo hike
    sponsor what?

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

I always wonder what the success rate is for thru hikers who attempt to find sponsors for their hike. The idea that someone would give you money to pay for your vacation is incomprehensible to me, and I really think anybody with an "entitlement" attitude would struggle with the mental aspect of long-distance hiking.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

In three weeks? You don't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    I always wonder what the success rate is for thru hikers who attempt to find sponsors for their hike. The idea that someone would give you money to pay for your vacation is incomprehensible to me, and I really think anybody with an "entitlement" attitude would struggle with the mental aspect of long-distance hiking.
    So, you won't sponsor my attempt at hiking all the beaches of the Hawaiian islands?

Twenty years ago, when thruhiking was less well known, it wasn't that difficult to get sponsors, especially if you lived in a small town. I knew a couple of people who wrote articles for their local newspapers each week in return for sponsorship from their local outdoor retailer. Now it takes a really unique adventure to get sponsorship, and that's hard to do because so many different hiking adventures have already been done and well publicized.

Best bet is to get a job and pay for your own hike, if not this year then next.

++ New Posts ++