WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    MD... ams & I did better than you!! Aww....
    Attached Images Attached Images

MD... ams & I did better than you!! Aww....

You win this round........

shoot............................................. ............
    Last edited by ams212001; 01-08-2014 at 23:40. Reason: Not as cool as hoping

Images

A good start ...

mtncrossmeth_445 (2).jpg]
    Last edited by scooterdogma; 01-09-2014 at 07:18.

Quote Originally Posted by paschen56 View Post
    I don't know how to use this thing and had no clue about threads and all am I supposed to just start a thread and stick with that one?
    I'm sorry paschen56... I just saw the other thread you started and you seemed to contradict yourself. People come on forums just to "play around".

It's hard to tell on the internet, what's really going on. If you are legit, please accept my apology.

If you want to learn about hiking, you've come to the right place.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

My recommendation is that you start by getting ... oops, my bad. I'm only a section hiker. Never mind!
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

If you want to learn about hiking, you've come to the right place.
    He wouldn't know that based on the responses he has gotten to his question.

Paschen, if you start your threads in the Straight Forward section you shouldn't get so many BS responses.

Images

I'm sure glad we all already know everything.

Ok look here I am realizing that a lot of you are very rude and I already had a list and was wanting to campare what I found to what I have as far as gear goes and now I have decided to try and make this a charity drive for the less fortunate youth the ones that need the help the most so NO I WONT BE STARTING UNTIL NEXT YEAR. I am in talks with the Ronald McDonald charity in the planing of the event due to the fact I have no clue how to go about all that and I am in talks with Jacksonville Job Corp (one in which I graduated from as a sponsor for those that would like to joining me on this expedition...............NOW IF YOU DON"T HAVE ANY POSITIVE AD VICE THEN PLEASE STAY OUT OF IT TNX

can you inbox me and help me with this thread thing, I keep getting ridiculed for trying to do something for the younger less fortunate people and all I am asking for is advice. Would greatly appreciate it.

I am serious I at first was going to do a thru hike the decided I wanted to to go further by doing a yo-yo hike and since I love helping younger people less fortunate so I am talking to the Ronald McDonald house for kids with the hope of them being the recipient from the charity as well as helping me plan the charity part of this expedition and I am also trying to get Job Corp (vocational school I graduated from) to be a sponsor for the charity drive.....Now yes I know trying to do this and leave by Feb. will be almost impossible so I am probably have to start the beg. of next year.......no offense but now do you think I am just on here "PLAYING AROUND"

No, you weren't playing around.. sorry. Hang with us and we will offer you all the help we can. Good luck with getting that job too.

No thread problems... you are fine! If you do want to post on the Straight forward thread, it cuts down on the "unwanted" comments. If ur questions are answered to your satisfaction, you can request that the thread be closed at any time. That means no one can comment after the thread is closed.
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 01-09-2014 at 14:22.

Go to Gaffney South Carolina where you will find a great deal on a gently used blowtorch. Then contact HB over at that other site where it is all good. He will put you in touch with the Legendary Dakota Joe ,who coincidentally also hails from the flat State of Florida. Joe has the gear list you seek. Oh, and don't forget the sharpies.

would you look at my profile again I posted my intent in the about me part and please let me know what you think.............I am by no means trying to have fun on this site this is something I am very dedicated to, and once you've read my intent then hopefully you will be too.

Sorry you got off on the wrong foot here Richard. Asking about charity hikes and sponsorship here tends to get the kind of responce you have gotten so far. The problem is credability.

Hiking for charity is really simple. You start a blog and add a link to the charity which you would like to help. NONE of the money goes through your hands so there is no question about who these donations are helping. Claiming to be hiking for charity where most or all the money goes into your pocket is considered a scam. Your only part should be in promoting the charity in question, be it through the blog or handing out buisness cards along the way.

Sponsorship is a whole 'nother ball of wax. In this case, sponsors want to see that you the experiance to make it worth thier while to help you, since thier only modivation to help you is what can you do to help them? These people get hit up for free gear or money all the time. You need to show them that you can help them more then the 1000 other people asking for a hand out. Good luck with that.

People who want help with thier gear list typically list thier gear so we can see what you got and then make suggestions on what you have and don't need or don't have and will need. For that we also need to know time of start. Starting in say Febuary requires much more and different gear then starting in April or May.

Finally, don't get all pissy if the answers you get aren't the ones you were hopeing for or expected. Many of the people here have hiked many thousands of miles on the AT and other places and know which way the wind blows.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I am serious I at first was going to do a thru hike the decided I wanted to to go further by doing a yo-yo hike and since I love helping younger people less fortunate so I am talking to the Ronald McDonald house for kids with the hope of them being the recipient from the charity as well as helping me plan the charity part of this expedition and I am also trying to get Job Corp (vocational school I graduated from) to be a sponsor for the charity drive.....Now yes I know trying to do this and leave by Feb. will be almost impossible so I am probably have to start the beg. of next year.......no offense but now do you think I am just on here "PLAYING AROUND"
    Either you are:
    1) a troll who is putting multiple threads of known controversy.
    2) extremely unlucky and somewhat clueless as to what they are getting into.

i clearly was in the camp of number 1 and if I was wrong then I apologize for my rather rude response. Now assuming it is number 2 and I will address multiple threads in an attempt to actually help. As far as gear you will get a much better response if you state the seasons you are expecting to hike, mileage expectations and your gear list. All of this is needed in order for folks to give an INTELLIGENT perspective. As far as your yo-yo. There have scores of people, predominately very inexperienced that have never hiked a long trail yet believe they will set a speed record, do a calendar year triple crown or yo-yo one of the long trails. To my knowledge none of the inexperience folks have succeeded. So you get automatic skepticism for even suggestion this. Couple this with asking an open ended question of "what gear do I take" and you end up with the natural reaction that you got.

On the yo-yo. If you are serious about doing it then do it solo. It is almost impossible to find a credible partner that can and is willing to do this. And if there is one, they likely wouldn't be interested in partnering with you due to your inexperience. Further you will be doing a faster pace unless you decide to spend many, many months on the trail. Few do a pace faster than four months, few are capable and fewer are willing. So bottom line, I would expect to do it solo. (Read dogwood post careful, within the sarcasm are many nuggets of truth.)

fund raising. If you are looking to find someone to pay for your vacation then you will get little if any help on here. If you are willing to pay your way and also raise money you may have a bit more support. As far as sponsors, I know folks that are sponsored but it gear not financial. I would expect that you will struggle finding a sponsor that will provide financial backing, you have not talked of a track record, only the dream, however misguided of a yo-yo. Further, why would NatGeo be interested in a yo-yo. There are far more aggressive adventures done every year. Example being Swami's calendar year triple crown. Even with that accomplishment there wasn't a lot of NatGeo style interest and his accomplishment was truly world class.

bottom line, assuming you aren't a troll, good luck in the future.

Edit: slogoen and I were typing at the same time. See, you got the same answer from two people independently.
    Last edited by Malto; 01-09-2014 at 14:40.

Images

Paschen56, please accept my apologies for my cynical post regarding contacting Duncan Yo-Yo's as a sponsor in another of your threads. But as others have noted, many come to WB asking how they can get sponsors to donate, not only to a charity they may be trying to raise money for, but to pay for their hikes as part of that. Most here, including me, don't think highly of the idea of paying for someone else's hiking expenses even if they are "hiking for charity". Some will donate to the charity directly - few, if any, will donate to the hiker himself.

Best wishes on your fundraising and hike planning efforts.

would you look at my profile again I posted my intent in the about me part and please let me know what you think.............I am by no means trying to have fun on this site this is something I am very dedicated to, and once you've read my intent then hopefully you will be too.
    I see what you wrote there Richard, that fine!

Take the advice of Slo-go'en, Malto & many others... these guys know their stuff. These guys, gals and many others is what makes WB such a great source of accurate & dependable information in the backpacking world.

Trust me.. they are pretty funny at times too. We don't take things too serious all the time. We know how to have fun, hopefully not at other people's expense very often. We like to laugh at ourselves a lot!!

Ever heard that the quality of a question dictates the quality of the response? You put zero effort into your three threads, and so we out zero effort into our responses. The more information you give us the more information we give you.

If you are serious, I'd recommend opening a word document and detailing your hiking experience, goals, limitations and any other pertinent information and then asking a series of specific questions. Carefully craft this document until it seems so clear that the only responses it would generate would be specific answers to your specific questions, then post it to a new thread in the 'Straight Forward' section of this site.

Again, the quality of the question will dictate the quality of the answer. Good luck!

Images

Paschen -
    I'm a section hiker who started hiking about 4 years ago. I compiled gear over time and made many adjustments through trial and error on shorter trips. What works for me certainly won't work for everyone, but I'll tell you what I have now.
    I view gear as a compromise between weight, budget and comfort. My trail name is Second Hand because I have acquired most of trail second hand. A lot of people run to REI and spend thousands of $ on gear before realizing backpacking isn't for them. Then they post on Craigslist for good prices and that's where I have gotten a lot of good deals.

My Current list
    Big 3
    Backpack: Gregory Z45 <Not the lightest thing in the world, but I got a good deal and it's comfortable>
    Tent - Easton Kilo 2P w. ground cloth<Very light weight tent w/ a small front vestibule. I've read a lot of bad reviews on this guy, but it works for me and sometimes my wife or dog>
    Sleeping bag - Sierra Designs 35 degree down bag. It's about 2.2lbs and handles 3 season temps pretty well.

Other stuff
    Sleeping Pad - REI stratus. You blow it up yourself and it's a few inches thick. It weighs less than a pound and is really comfortable, although noisy, so I try not to sleep in shelters w/ other people unless they have ear plugs and don't mind.
    Water Filter - Sawyer Squeeze
    Stove - Esbit folding stove and cubes. People complain this takes to long, but I can keep myself busy while things cook. It's small, light, easy and cheap.
    Metal cooking cup w/ lid - Tin cup,
    paper cup for tea - You can eat out of the cooking cup, but it's to hot to drink out of so I bring a paper cup to put tea in.

Odds and Ends
    Small "hiker" swiss arm kniff
    Petzo head lamp
    Medical kit w/ a few Advil and some band aids, alcohol and gauze pads. Don't carry to much for medical, if it needs more attention than a band aid, you'll probably need to get off the trail.
    2L platypus water bladder
    Small bic lighter

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. People on this site take backpacking very seriously. When a novice starts throwing around words like "yoyo" before they know what it takes to live on the trail for even a week, people get a little up in arms. There are some very knowledgeable people on here and you if you sort through the criticism, you'll get a lot of good information. Hang in there, good luck your adventure, I hope you raise a lot of $ and PM me for my personal info. IF you make it as far as New England, give me a call and I'll treat you and your crew to dinner. <thru-hiker dinners can be very expensive, so expect a buffet!>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++