WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hypothermia

Default Hypothermia

I would like some info about hypothermia. I've been reading trail journals lately. A couple that I read got themselves dangerously close to hypothermia. They did not get hurt but got too close to it. Not to mention the recent 3 hikers in the Smokies. So what are some of the issues.
    Wet and sweaty
    Wet stream accident
    hydration
    food intake
    clothing issues
    tent , sleeping bag
    anything else ?

Seems like there's not a simple answer.
    It's -8* here in St. Louis, It's real scary thinking about getting stuck outside and not being able to fix it. I'm not ready to die yet.

Images

heres an excellent article that runs through a lot of useful information:http://www.outdoors.org/recreation/h...ypothermia.cfm

Another "issue" is that it doesn't have to be super cold, especially if you have a tendency to cool down quickly after exertion. I do, and I'm always careful to put on extra clothing (or get out of wet stuff) as soon as possible after I stop moving. It has happened to me with wet weather and temps in the 50s.

All of that is pretty much common sense stuff. A good reason to not hike alone in bad weather.

Images

I think the worst time for hiking hypothermia is when temps are in the 30s or 40s, especially if it's damp. Extertion, sweat, lack of food and water are all factors. When it's *really* cold people are thinking about it, but heavy exertion and wet clothing in chilly weather is dangerous too.

Keep an eye out for the "umbles" -- stumbling, bumbling, and mumbling. I know things are getting close to the edge when I have a hard time using my fingers, or when I start tripping on flat ground. That's when a hiker needs some help -- a hot drink, dry clothing, etc., and we shouldn't be shy about providing that help.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

I try to avoid sweating. When that's actually possible (in cold weather), I try to dress light while hiking. When we stop for lunch or to set up camp, I put on the down jacket immediately.
    Problem is, once I get in dry clothes and crawl into my sleeping bag, I'm cold and it doesn't go away. I bring my down jacket in my sleeping bag with me, and anything else that will help with insulation, but I lay there shivering, usually for quite a while. Even after I get somewhat warm, if I slip my hand under my clothing and feel my buttocks and thighs, they are COLD. It takes a long time to fully warm up.
    Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing something stupid. Am I already in a danger zone of hypothermia when I lie down?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I try to avoid sweating. When that's actually possible (in cold weather), I try to dress light while hiking. When we stop for lunch or to set up camp, I put on the down jacket immediately.
    Problem is, once I get in dry clothes and crawl into my sleeping bag, I'm cold and it doesn't go away. I bring my down jacket in my sleeping bag with me, and anything else that will help with insulation, but I lay there shivering, usually for quite a while. Even after I get somewhat warm, if I slip my hand under my clothing and feel my buttocks and thighs, they are COLD. It takes a long time to fully warm up.
    Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing something stupid. Am I already in a danger zone of hypothermia when I lie down?
    As you are probably aware, the shivering and gradual warming up is good and means your body is producing heat even though you may have mild hypothermia at that point. When you are so cold you stop shivering you are getting into deep do-do. Cold buttocks and thighs are somewhat normal as your body is diverting blood to core internal organs and away from extremities, and especially if one has any, um, extra padding (fatty tissue has very few blood vessels). You may be getting too cooled down towards the end of your hike. Perhaps try hiking the last mile or so with your jacket on, drink a hot beverage, wear a hat, fill a container with hot water to bring in your sleeping bag, etc. But you probably knew a lot of this already, right?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    As you are probably aware, the shivering and gradual warming up is good and means your body is producing heat even though you may have mild hypothermia at that point. When you are so cold you stop shivering you are getting into deep do-do. Cold buttocks and thighs are somewhat normal as your body is diverting blood to core internal organs and away from extremities, and especially if one has any, um, extra padding (fatty tissue has very few blood vessels). You may be getting too cooled down towards the end of your hike. Perhaps try hiking the last mile or so with your jacket on, drink a hot beverage, wear a hat, fill a container with hot water to bring in your sleeping bag, etc. But you probably knew a lot of this already, right?
    also, make sure you're getting enough liquids during the day. its very easy to become dehydrated in the cold, as most people usually dont drink enough water in winter. the cold dry air will suck moisture out of you while yuou breathe.snacking during the day is also key to keeping your core with fuel to fire the furnace.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I think the worst time for hiking hypothermia is when temps are in the 30s or 40s, especially if it's damp. Extertion, sweat, lack of food and water are all factors. When it's *really* cold people are thinking about it, but heavy exertion and wet clothing in chilly weather is dangerous too.

Keep an eye out for the "umbles" -- stumbling, bumbling, and mumbling. I know things are getting close to the edge when I have a hard time using my fingers, or when I start tripping on flat ground. That's when a hiker needs some help -- a hot drink, dry clothing, etc., and we shouldn't be shy about providing that help.
    It's good to have signs to watch for like you do. It can be very difficult to recognize and actually make adjustments, especially when it means adjusting your schedule.

I've allowed myself to get too cold while hiking a few times. Usually it's due to low energy. I get myself into situations where I feel the need to push harder, but in doing so I put aside eating, which causes me to get cold when my energy levels crash. This winter I want to experiment with using vapor barriers in inclement weather while hiking hard. Ideally it should allow me to wear some insulation without soaking it in sweat. At some point I want to try it with a Klymit inflatable vest too. I've already used it to great effect while sleeping.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    It's good to have signs to watch for like you do. It can be very difficult to recognize and actually make adjustments, especially when it means adjusting your schedule.

I've allowed myself to get too cold while hiking a few times. Usually it's due to low energy. I get myself into situations where I feel the need to push harder, but in doing so I put aside eating, which causes me to get cold when my energy levels crash. This winter I want to experiment with using vapor barriers in inclement weather while hiking hard. Ideally it should allow me to wear some insulation without soaking it in sweat. At some point I want to try it with a Klymit inflatable vest too. I've already used it to great effect while sleeping.
    I believe you will sweat if hiking hard in vbl in all but the coldest temperatures, as in sub zero. I rarely have had to wear anything other than light base layer and windshirt down to about 20 degrees. Even then I have to vent on uphills to prevent sweating. Please post what you find, I am a huge proponent of VBL (for sleeping)

Maybe try some leg lifts while in your bag. lying flat raise your legs about 4" and hold do this for a few mins and it should engage your core muscles and produce some heat. Don't forget to eat a little something before retiring, maybe even a very short brisk walk (No sweating) right be getting into your bag.

I have the same problem. We were discussing this in another forum and it was suggested that I use a bivy which I'm considering. I'm also considering getting a bag rated below what I'd actually need.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I had an incident recently in which I had excellent reason to believe I had gone hypothermic in my own -51 degree bedroom overnight. I happen to have very low +/- temperature not infrequenty. It goes with hypothyroidism. I shiver to think of the many nights that I have lay, shivering hard, in my tent even through summer nights. The night I speak of, however, was earlier this month. I was astonished. (When living alone, one must realize that there is no one who might come upon one, notice the mumbles, shivering, and irrational decisions.) Thinking it over, I realized how many times I have read that an elderly perSon (YOU KNOW HOW I HATE THAT WORD.) succumbed to hypothermia at night at home. I just had to accept that that impossibility might actually be possible. My solution: drink a hot cup or two of Sleepytime tea just before going to bed~~and closing the windows.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

If your bag, pad, and shelter are not enough to warm you up after a warm meal you probably need to build a fire and do jumping jacks. If it is raining this will be difficult but not impossible if you have a tarp. I would leave my pad, bag, tent, hammock, sleeping bag, and backpack at home before I would leave my tarp.

I was surprised how cold I got after I stopped hiking for lunch during a rain storm in August. I was beginning to shiver and shake by the time I was finished with my lunch. I was happy to get moving again. If you run out of dry clothes in the woods, that is a scary thing.

If someone is really showing signs of hypothermia, I heard the best thing to do is to get naked with another warmer naked person in a sleeping bag. Hikers are good at watching out for each other that way! So i've heard....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    I was surprised how cold I got after I stopped hiking for lunch during a rain storm in August. I was beginning to shiver and shake by the time I was finished with my lunch. I was happy to get moving again. If you run out of dry clothes in the woods, that is a scary thing.

If someone is really showing signs of hypothermia, I heard the best thing to do is to get naked with another warmer naked person in a sleeping bag. Hikers are good at watching out for each other that way! So i've heard....
    Yeah, with my luck I'd run into a freezing John Goodman, not Kate Upton . . .

Images

i have dabbled and danced with hypothermia quite a bit.

Mostly, hypothermia happens when it's unexpected like in the summer -in July - when you are hiking in the woods and a big rainstorm hits - you are unprepared, your core gets wet and cold and the temps drop to the 50s - that pretty much does it and so hypothermia happens often when you least expect it.

Ok, that said, I have been hypothermic in winter - then it's harder to deal with. Here are my experiences:

1) Winter night, Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest - January, 2007 - snow, wind, ice, temp was -2 to -5 plus windchill - could not keep decent campfire going and I have every trick in the book - hot water bottles in sleeping bags - all the tricks. My friend Alana had told me she had a 0 bag but it was more like a 20 - I had to share warmth - - pretty sketchy night - we made a big pot of mac and cheese that froze before we finished it. Liquor froze - seriously. I thought she might die - I was ok - - in the morning things were better and we hiked down and out. We got a cabin near the NOC - the pipes were all frozen so it was nearly free but we made a better fire and slept.

2) winter night - camping in Arapaho Basin ski area parking lot with my wife - - coldest she had ever been - shaking all night - we were in 0 bags too. I guess it was -10 or more with howling wind

3) The coldest most miserable night ever was in Joyce Kilmer (again) looking for a lost hiker - Stretch - who thru hiked in '08 and just did the PCT - but this was when he was 15 - - we never found him but he made it out ok - we suffered through an awful night - me, Crusty, and his dog Laurel in the same tent.

I've been a lot colder than these instances (backcountry trekking in Canada, etc) but these instances are more memorable - - mainly due to the unexpected cold.

Be safe

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Yeah, with my luck I'd run into a freezing John Goodman, not Kate Upton . . .
    Ha Ha!! What could I give you if you know who max patch would like to find hypothermic on the trail? I know, I'll give you a dancing banana if you answer correctly!

I'm so cold now just talking about this subject... it's cold in VA right now. Brrr..... I just read Papa D's comment.. brrr....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post

There is something to be said for eating on the move in situations like this.

I don't often have the opportunity to hike in winter any longer (distance from trail head), but in my earlier cold weather over-night trips if I was feeling a bit cold I would fill a water bottle with hot water and stick in my bag with me. This would be just the trick to warm me up and lull me to sleep. The other up-side would be you'd at least have one bottle of water (not frozen) to get started the next morning. As has been mentioned hypothermia is often experienced when you least expect it, temps in the 40's & even 50's. Don't be fooled it can catch the most experienced hikers. Thunderstorms in the summer causing you to get soaked at the end of a hard days hike is ideal hypothermic situation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++