Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PCT question

Default PCT question

If you had two weeks to do a hike of the PCT where would you go?

Most people will say the JMT section and deservedly so. Outside of that, I really enjoyed the North Cascades NP/Glacier Peak Wilderness section in August. The wild flowers were in full bloom and when I was there the weather was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairway View Post
    Outside of that, I really enjoyed the North Cascades NP/Glacier Peak Wilderness section in August. The wild flowers were in full bloom and when I was there the weather was great.

The whole Northern half of Washington is fantastic.

Goat Rocks to Stehekin

Images

I agree with Dogwood on the Goat Rocks section. I also really enjoyed the Sisters in OR, and the Sierras in CA is definitely near the top of my list.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Goat Rocks to Stehekin
    +1. .

Two weeks on the PCT, hot dam. I'd agree the two best parts to spend two weeks hiking would be either north Washington or the High Sierras in California (JMT area.) Problem with the PCT is that there are so many sick places to see all along the way. For a first timer I'd go ahead and suggest some part of the JMT, or if you're in great hiking shape try to do the JMT. But if you're just looking to bum around and check out the trail I have an awesome suggestion/idea.

Start in Mammoth Lakes (nice little fun ski town) and finish in Yosemite Village. Head up to Mammoth lakes (the high country just outside of the town of Mammoth). There is a free bus that runs from town to a few of the lakes. Day 1; Find a trailhead by lake Mary that will lead you back to Fish Creek and start your hike by hiking to Iva Bell hot springs (~15 miles from nearest Mammoth trail head so it's not heavily used but a very nice hot spring). Day Two, finish hike into hot spring and enjoy a relaxing afternoon soaking. Day Three; hike up to Red's Meadow (beer and simple food). Use the Red's Meadow hot springs if you need some more soaking but just beyond is Devils Post Pile (best example of a geological post pile anywhere in the world!). Day four; hike up to Ediza Lake and summit Mt. Ritter (John Muir said it was the finest place to view the entire High Sierra Range. I summited ritter and my Pano-pic has the entire Sierra from Whitney to Half Dome in it). Day five; hike onward north and enter Yosemite. Day six; enter Tuolumne Meadows (get permits for camping and half dome and explore Tuolumne meadows). Day seven; hike from the high country down toward Yosemite village camping a mile or so from the base of Half Dome. Day eight; do half dome and then drop into Happy Isles via. the Mist trail. Day eight dinner, AYCE in the village. [that alone is eight days and that only scratches the surface for stuff to do in the PCT/JMT area]

I think the biggest obstacle is always your transportation. Are you driving a rental, hitching, already have a driver, using shuttle service, using public transportation, or what?
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Garlic
    Images

When are the two weeks? Two weeks in April will be a lot different answer than two weeks in August!

I agree on Goat Rocks.

I can pretty much go whenever I want and I was planning on using some sort of shuttle or local driver to drop me off and pick up.

You can go into/out of Stehekin on the boat adding in the dimension of a scenic Lake Chelan boat ride into the hike as well. Hike SOBO through to Goat Rocks or NOBO ending at Stehekin(w/ a stop at the bakery for goodies of course and perhaps a nice dinner in Stehekin or the town of Chelan). Awesomely scenic and memorable two wk hike aroung July or early Fall IF you can do the distance and elevation changes. Be ready to hit the trail IF you do this one!

Greyhound gets you to Chelan Falls or Wenatchee where you catch a public bus system that goes into Chelan where you catch the boat to Stehekin.

Journal Entries
    Images

You know... I'm trying to prep for the AT thru-hike and I'm coming from San Diego. I would like to take advantage of the San Diego start and figure out the easiest way for me to get back to SD - any suggestions people? I'll be using public transportation to get to Campo and I just started looking into this about 5 minutes ago. No idea how far I'm going to go to test my gear/trail legs.

I'm thinking at least till hwy74. Not sure if hitchhiking back will pan out.

Also does anyone know if I need any permits besides the California campfire permit? Or generally about where I should plan on pitching my tent? I'll be carrying at least 12 liters of water to start just to give myself a heavier pack with the added bonus of hydration.

Thanks for looking.

You tend to all the details but off the top of my head you can go from Campo to Tehacapi(actually Mojave, Hwy 58) and catch The Dog back home, from Campo to Walker Pass(Hwy 178) and hitch into Ridgecrest and jump on the bus system to ?), from Campo to Pines to Palms Hwy and hitch into Palm Springs/Palmdale to catch The Dog back home, from Campo to Cajon Pass/El Cajon and catch The Dog back home. Amtrak is vailable in some locations as well. Do some research for your hiking agenda and come back to tell us what you found out. HYOH

Just my 2 cts but be mindful of where you exactly hike in SoCal on the PCT in prep for an AT thru-hike because I don't think same(much?) of it compares very well to AT terrain and conditions. I would certainly look to include the more elevation change sections of the SoCal PCT like San Jacinto and Fuller Ridge type hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Goat Rocks to Stehekin
    I did Goat Rocks to US 2 last August. I enjoyed it more than the JMT or any other section I've ever hiked.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

You can take a bus from Big Bear, to I believe LA. Im pretty sure you can take a bus from Warner Springs, directly back to San Diego, as well. Probably want to skip Fuller Ridge.

From Big Bear, you can't go directly to LA. You have to take the MARTA bus to San Bernardino, and from there a Greyhound to LA. (the MARTA stops right at the Greyhound station)

Warning - San Bernardino is a dump. Also beware that bus ride if you tend to get motion sickness! It was a wild ride.

http://www.marta.cc/commuter.html

Also for TOMP, you may have noticed that many trail towns are hard to get to, especially since you're coming from the East Coast. For ease of logistics, you can't beat Lake Tahoe! It's only an hour from Reno, with regular bus service. You could try the Tahoe Rim Trail (which overlaps the PCT for a large section). And since the trail is a loop, you can fly right back out of Reno. Maybe spend a day or two gambling, pigging out on fifty cent tacos, and laying on the beach enjoying the blue blue water of Tahoe. In my opinion, the Tahoe area is a really underrated section of the trail. It has similar harsh beauty to the desert, but with tons of water and nice weather! (not to mention the fifty cent tacos ........)

Images

Goat Rocks to Stehekin. Goat rocks was at least as awesome as the Sierras but somehow more personal and of course not many people. Maybe on to Canada, but it was all snow so it's tough to say.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

My wife and I actually plan to hike from Steven's Pass (U.S. 2) to Stehekin this year; it's on her PCT bucket list. I too recall it as a beautiful area. Somewhat of a long food carry, however, especially if you're not in very good hiking condition.
    I *think* there might be a bus to get you to Steven's Pass. I know that a somewhat complicated combination of buses (multiple), ferry, and for us at least a train are involved in getting back to the Seattle area from Stehekin. So a little tricky that, but do-able with a little study/prep. Another option would be to reverse it, do the "planes, trains, and automobile (buses)" option to get to Stehekin first, then just hitchhike from Steven's Pass, which is a very well traveled highway corridor.

Goat Rocks area is certainly beautiful too. I'll take the Glacier Peak area on the approach towards Stehekin, however, if I had to choose.
    The JMT is lovely, of course, but when my wife hiked it last September I was surprised that she wasn't all that impressed. Too stark for her tastes, much of the time above treeline so a whole lot of rocky landscape. I like it all, but each to their own!
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++