WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Did you guys/gals see this thread posted the other day? I watched it and I still can't believe it....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...best-40degrees
    I subscribe to Shug's YouTube page so I see most of his antics. If you watch his videos he explains how he's setup.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

That was a great video! In my youth about 40 years ago on a winter camping trip to the Pemigawasset Wilderness in NH it got down to minus 33. I can't begin to tell you how primitive our gear was! We slept in a 3 season tent on a half length Thermorest pad in a double sleeping bag. I didn't even own a pair of snowshoes. Just trudged about 3 miles into the campsite with about a 60 pound pack. I woke up the first morning with about 3 inches of frozen breath on my chest. We spent the day building furniture out of logs and keeping a fire going. We ate and drank water non stop and played "Indian Hockey" in a clearing we made on a frozen beaver pond. The trick was to not stop moving! I'd do it again if I could find anyone crazy enough to go!

Images

I'm going to be out this week - I'm sure i'll get single digits in NC.
    Tipi Walter is out right now - I'm pretty sure - - he has like a negative 30 bag
    in his Hilleberg Tent - it's literally bombproof

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Packed up and hitting the trail here in an hour or so. This is really a unique opportunity for those of us in the Southeast.

-

ok, had to drive the daughter home so I did not get the chance to do this until last night

the low ended up -10 with light winds

used a full and a short thermarest

bivy

-20 sierra design 800 fill bag

base layer, fleece layer, insulated pants, down jacket with the zip off sleeves over the feet, base layer gloves and down mitts, face shield over the nose

kicked out a trench in about 7 inches of snow

was out for about 7 hours, was fully warm and estimate this would be true for another 5 degrees and some more wind

certainly this system would be reasonably comfortable to - 25 and keep one alive overnight to - 35

no big issues with condensation / frost as I try to expel my breath outside the bivy

some cold spots on the feet when they were pushing outward/ compressing the insulation - felt no cold spots from the ground

Glad you made it, George. Not my cup of tea, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    ok, had to drive the daughter home so I did not get the chance to do this until last night

the low ended up -10 with light winds

used a full and a short thermarest

bivy

-20 sierra design 800 fill bag

base layer, fleece layer, insulated pants, down jacket with the zip off sleeves over the feet, base layer gloves and down mitts, face shield over the nose

kicked out a trench in about 7 inches of snow

was out for about 7 hours, was fully warm and estimate this would be true for another 5 degrees and some more wind

certainly this system would be reasonably comfortable to - 25 and keep one alive overnight to - 35

no big issues with condensation / frost as I try to expel my breath outside the bivy

some cold spots on the feet when they were pushing outward/ compressing the insulation - felt no cold spots from the ground
    nice write up and valuable information---now whats the plan?

-

will look at the forecast for mid Feb, unlikely to carry a -20 bag, would likely stay with the -5 I usually use in the winter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++