WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'm starting July 12 - I want to be done by Christmas, by Thanksgiving if at all possible. But December in the Smokies is not that bad. I did about 66 miles last December in the northern half of the park. There was rain and a little snow and ice. Some very cold nights. The most aggravating part is the fact that there is so little daylight to hike in. December days are short, and the Smokies are pretty far south, so I always feel like I have to be up before dawn and hike until dark to cover any distance. So there is a lot of time in camp in the dark. Nights can be long and cold.

But the scenery is fantastic, with the leaves off the trees so there is excellent visibility. Sunrise and sunset in frost and snow is breathtaking. The wind howls through the trees like a freight train. Getting out of the warm sleeping bag in the morning can be a daunting task, and don't get me started on putting on frozen shoes! But as long as you have the right clothes and sleeping gear, and are willing to put up with some discomfort, no problems! Springer never "closes", so no deadlines...
    Last edited by forrest!; 06-13-2014 at 08:40.

Hopefully i can leave closer to the 20th, i would love to be home for thanksgiving but that will be pushing it. Christmas is surely possible. I will put up with the cold, its all for that end goal of springer.

hey Honuben, I didn't see a gear list. If you don't mind can you put it up, or redirect me if its all ready up. I doubt I will see you this year, as your starting about 3 ahead of me, but you never know. Good luck and thanks again for the advice you have given me.

Quote Originally Posted by Honuben View Post
    It looks like my start date will be pushed back between july 20th and august 1rst. Starting out in Maine doesn't bother me on those dates but am a little worried about the weather down south. I'm glad that 4eyedbuzzard shared those historical temps. Has anyone started in August and what should i expect with the later start.
    Expect a cold finish unless you're wicked fast (or even if you are wicked fast.) Go find the Barefoot Sisters' sobo journal and check it out, it's a really good read. Their hike lasted into early the following year -- then they turned around and did a yo-yo hike northbound.

Redzombie, i will be starting after you most likely August 1rst. My gear is going still being modified for the later date. I will do a gear swap in VA for warmer gear. My problem is carrying food for the 100 mw. 8 days of food doesnt fit in my mld arc so i picked up a terra 55 from northface. I am liking the internal suspension but its a huge pack. Too big for after the wilderness. I will update my gear and post it later.

rafe, i didn't want to rush and don't want to postpone the hike until '15. My relocating from Hawaii to KY has left me in between jobs and the perfect opportunity to hike the trail. Cold weather will be looming and definatlely on my mind come nov/dec. just have to push through.

http://lighterpack.com/r/5bozce

I still have my original pack on the list, just trying to fit food in there is not working too well.

Honuben: A typical thru-hiker's "section" these days is 3 to 5 days. The HMW even at 8 days isn't that much longer. Shouldn't need a different pack. How much food per day were you thinking of carrying? For most folks just starting, appetite doesn't seriously kick in until the 2nd or 3rd day. My pack at the start of the HMW was really really heavy... but it was the same pack I used everywhere else on the AT.

I will have to pick apart my food, maybe repack it in to multiple gallon liplocks. My appetite is the problem. I eat alot and drink too much beer. The 100 mw with no beer will probably help me lose 15 lbs... J/k. But i will reassess the food stuffs.

You can freeze on the AT at most any season. Don't be out there without some way to stay warm and dry, especially in ME and NH. Most of us know about sending warm clothes home and then wishing that we hadn't don that...

I've been thinking about adding a lightweight down jacket and a real headlamp rather than my velcro'd microlights. Also subbing a 20* quilt for the 40*. I have some time to think about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++