WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    sorry, have to disagree with you. You take a shelter for two reasons. first, you don't know if there will be space in the shelter even with the reservations. Second, you take a shelter so that you can have shelter in the event you can't reach the targeted destination. Especially since there was crappy weather forecasted for a while.
    Agreed, and another possibility that I've seen before... sometimes the shelter ain't there anymore!

Default Smokies rangers reach 3 Gaffney hikers stranded in snow on Appalachian Trail - Greenv

Smokies rangers reach 3 Gaffney hikers stranded in snow on Appalachian Trail
    Greenville News
    GATLINBURG, Tenn. — Rangers have reached three Appalachian Trail hikers who were stranded in the snow without shelter. According to Great Smoky Mountains National Park officials, three men ages 21 to 32 from Gaffney, S.C., had set out on Thursday ...

More...

Default Appalachian Trail hikers stranded in snow rescued - WIS

Appalachian Trail hikers stranded in snow rescued
    WIS
    Friday night's Orange Bowl will offer plenty of opportunities for Clemson coach Dabo Swinney and the No. 11 Tigers (10-2, 7-1 ACC) as they play the No. 6 Ohio State Buckeyes (12-1, 8-1 Big Ten). SwinneyMore >>. Friday night's Orange Bowl will offer ...

and more »

More...

Default Gaffney hikers released from NC hospital after being stranded on Appalachian ... - Sp

Gaffney hikers released from NC hospital after being stranded on Appalachian ...
    Spartanburg Herald Journal
    The third hiker wasn't admitted to the hospital. The hikers, identified by parks officials as Shawn Hood, 32, Steven White, 25, and Jonathan Dobbins, 21, were not prepared for a 10-day hike they planned along the Appalachian Trail. They started their ...

More...

Default Three Appalachian Trail Hikers Need Rescue In Great Smoky Mountains ... - National Pa

Three Appalachian Trail Hikers Need Rescue In Great Smoky Mountains ...
    National Parks Traveler
    Winter's latest punch to the East caught three Appalachian Trail hikers in Great Smoky Mountains National Park unprepared and needing to be rescued by rangers. The three men from Gaffney, South Carolina, had set out from Fontana Dam on Thursday with ...

More...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I didn't get that they did not have a shelter. but why would they. The regulations require them to sleep in shelters, tenting is prohibited. On the AT I met many hikers, thru hikers, ill prepaired for cold weather, what saved them was the community of thru hikers, and really spooning. to say that they were contenders for the Darwin award does not speak kindly for the law and the people who serve the Smokies as rangers as it is obviously their responsibility to protect people who go there considering they make it illegal to tent. the people followed the rules and the rangers came though when they needed help, these people from what I read are very much alive and free to reproduce.

In other words I think you are a little harsh, these people could have been any one of us and I do believe most of us know it. We make mistakes, and thankfully due to human kindness, Darwin no longer applies.
    People are harsh because generally these rescues are for people who are simply arrogant and do not seek nor heed both the advice of more experienced people AND ignore the recommendations/requirements of authorities. You simply do not leave the trailhead without proper gear - PERIOD. Because not only can you die - but you put the lives potential rescuers at risk as well - and that is simply arrogance and disregard for others.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    Glad you had a good time! I didn't get to do McAfee knob when I was down your way, but a nice State Trooper set a date to discuss my driving speed at the end of the month, so I've got another shot!
    Yeah, I got one of those nice trooper introductions when I was on my way home from McAfee a few months ago. And then shortly after I paid online, I got several solicitations from various attorneys in the area seeking to "help" me.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I didn't get that they did not have a shelter. but why would they. The regulations require them to sleep in shelters, tenting is prohibited.
    When I called and made shelter reservations for a trip thru the park (on the old system) there was no room at the campsite north of Fontana, so my itinerary was adjusted to all shelters. The ranger on the phone said, "That's good. Now you don't have to carry a tent." Knowing from experience that people show up without reservations, and shelters could be full, I corrected him and said that we would still have to bring a tent just in case. He backpedaled and agreed.

I agree that we should be less eager to condemn. We were all inexperienced at one time.

Default Darwin Award, Class of 2014?

These 3 had to work hard, for 2 or 3 days before setting out, to avoid becoming aware of what was in store, weather-wise. Rain turning to snow and hurricane force winds were the talk of the Carolinas in any media you might access all the way from the 31st forward. Sounds as though they were well into Stage III hypothermia and may not have had much time remaining. But hey, they had their smartphones!

I saw on of the "hikers" being interviewed last night on The Weather Channel. I was thinking to myself as I looked at the gear and listened to him talk, "This guy doesn't sound hiker; what the hell was he doing out there...." Then he mentioned that things got really bad when he started suffering from Altitude Sickness...

That sealed the deal...these guys are not hikers

Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    When I called and made shelter reservations for a trip thru the park (on the old system) there was no room at the campsite north of Fontana, so my itinerary was adjusted to all shelters. The ranger on the phone said, "That's good. Now you don't have to carry a tent." Knowing from experience that people show up without reservations, and shelters could be full, I corrected him and said that we would still have to bring a tent just in case. He backpedaled and agreed.

I agree that we should be less eager to condemn. We were all inexperienced at one time.
    it is unfortunate that the ranger told you that. And to the second statements, it is events like this that allow the inexperienced to learn at a much faster rate. I guarantee that the "harshness" in this response will hit home with at least one reader and possibly keep a repeat from happening. And nobody is condemning them, they are question their judgement or lack of judgement.
    Last edited by Malto; 01-04-2014 at 09:30.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i had a blue snorkel jacket with the zip pocket on the upper arm.
    Didn't we all back then

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Winter backpacking takes skill, knowledge and experience to have a safe and enjoyable trip. Don't think you can just walk into the backcountry in the winter time and go on a hike much more goes into planning a winter trip then say spring summer and fall. Planning your trip takes time even if you have been on the section of trail before mother nature does not care about you its up to you to care about mother nature and being prepared for any and all weather condition's is the key to a safe trip out and a safe trip home never go out in the back country with out the proper gear that gear that you carry can and will save your life if you know how to use it.. I hope these guys make it out safe!!

Images

There are some good camping spots along the Corbin Hollow trail as well, across the valley from Old Rag.

The more I think about this the more I simply feel bad these guys. They had good intentions, they were getting off the couch, they had a sense of adventure (10 days for a first trip!). If they had chosen most any other time of the year, they still likely have a rough trip but there is no rescue, no news story.

Just terrible timing and questionable route for a first trip.

Quote Originally Posted by ATL Backpacker View Post
    The more I think about this the more I simply feel bad these guys. They had good intentions, they were getting off the couch, they had a sense of adventure (10 days for a first trip!). If they had chosen most any other time of the year, they still likely have a rough trip but there is no rescue, no news story.

Just terrible timing and questionable route for a first trip.
    I agree with you ATL Backpacker-100% Thank you for your comment!!

Images

Default Hikers resuced from Smokies burned cloths to stay warm

Just read this and thought I'd share, it says they burned cloths to stay warm very unprepared.... not dealing with a full deck

http://www.citizen-times.com/article...hikers-Smokies
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Already a thread going on about this even:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...okey-Mountains

Images

I know I have done some dumb things, but burning coats that you could have worn to help stay warm???? These guys are old enough to have been smarter. Sounds like a case for a movie like "Dumb, Dumber, and Dumbest".

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++