WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Towels at hostels?

As we plan for our 2014 hike, I was wondering if the price of a hostel usually includes a clean towel or if they are available for rent. I wasn't planning on carrying anything more than a bandana or small microfiber towel, but would like a decent cotton towel for showers. Thanks!

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

It seemed like most did have a towel. I know that 4 Pines did not. However I didn't stay in most of the Hostels.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I've stayed in several hostels along the trail. All of them offered towels as part of the stay, most for free, others for a nominal fee. Bears Den even had clothes to change into while you did your laundry.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Most Hostel Owners are former thru-hikers them selfs and they know what a thru-hiker needs and wants are, every hostel i have ever stayed at had clean towels and wash cloths for use in shower, like Farmerchief said some even have clothes you can use while yours are being washed. Good Luck and Happy trails

Journal Entries

Some are more primitive then others. That is fine and part of the experience. No you do not need to carry a towel, for the few times that one is not available you can make due. You learn to become very creative if you need to (next step is the hostel owners give in and start providing towels).

I have the REI Pack Towel which weighs something like 1.5 ounces and was able to use it to dry myself after showering at a campground. I had to wring out the towel a few times but it worked out ok. I didn't intend to use it after a shower and was surprised that it worked. Not a bad thing to carry.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

If you stay at "the Place" in Damascus, you'll likely have to go to the dollar store and buy soap, shampo and a towel. At least I had to a few years ago. It's sort of hit and miss. Donation based hostels don't supply much, fee based hostels are generally much better at keeping towels and soap available. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I found most to have towels. Some ask that you wash towels with you laundry, which is more than fair.

++ New Posts ++