WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Uh.... This is not like Ely, Minn was in July!

Incredible!!!!

Images

I quizzed Shug on his sleep system, he said he has a zero degree top and bottom quilt, then wraps that with a 20 degree bag. that is it and according to him he stayed warm down to MINUS 30 and at MINUS 40 he was warm until 5am.

Shug is awesome in every way, he is a big DYI guy and loves to help anyone he can in regards to hammock camping.
    You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

I give a lot of credit for his guts to hit this trail when it was so cold. I grew up in Minnesota, and there is no way I would backpack in their 40 below weather. I'm a wimp LOL

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post

I'd like to meet up with Shug someday. Seems to be one of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet.

Fast forward the video to 3:11, that is probably around 5:00 in the morning when he is feeling the coldest.

The first time I met him was on the AT at a lean-to. I had such a pissy attitude but no matter how much I stubbornly tried to hold onto it Shug wouldn't let me continue with it or let himself be taken in by it. I was much younger than and a bit of an a hole to him. From that point on in my hiking career I never had that same pissy attitude. He really helped change my attitude forever. His attitude rubbed off on me. THX Shug. That shot of him with the frozen brows is a riot. He's a real clown. REALLY.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++