WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Any hike with a hernia?

I recently visited my doctor after experiencing some dull pain in my groin. The doctor performed an exam and found a very small inguinal hernia. At this time, I cannot afford to have surgery to repair the hernia. I was planning on making 3 week long backpacking trips this summer, but fear that the trips may be cancelled. Has anyone here ever hiked with a hernia? I know it' different for everyone and depends on the size and location of the hernia, but I was just curious about others experiences with their hernia. I have managed to jog several miles without any discomfort; however, at times I seem to have pain there at random with no apparent trigger.

Journal Entries

Many hernias will self heal. That said, attempting to do such a hike, I would like to know how to monitor it myself, like instructions from the Dr as to what to look out for, when to terminate the hike, when to drop/abandon your backpack/gear to walk out, when to call for a chopper pickup to the ER. That last option from what I heard may cost about $30,000.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Labojo View Post
    I recently visited my doctor after experiencing some dull pain in my groin. The doctor performed an exam and found a very small inguinal hernia. At this time, I cannot afford to have surgery to repair the hernia. I was planning on making 3 week long backpacking trips this summer, but fear that the trips may be cancelled. Has anyone here ever hiked with a hernia? I know it' different for everyone and depends on the size and location of the hernia, but I was just curious about others experiences with their hernia. I have managed to jog several miles without any discomfort; however, at times I seem to have pain there at random with no apparent trigger.
    I'm in the same boat, though mine is in my abdomen, I wanna get it fixed before spring but still hike this winter...I'm torn

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I have hiked with a hernia and my doc told me it would be ok. I did have to keep uh popping it back in which though awkward was not uncomfortable. So is it doable, yes. But I would recommend talking further with your doc about your options, especially discussing the level of exertion and weight you expect to carry on your hikes.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

My hernia was discovered just before I had a hike planned. My doctor discouraged the hike. He said that if the hernia became strangulated when I was where I couldn't get quick treatment it would be life threatening. I decided to go ahead and get it fixed. The procedure was done as an out patient and I was back to hiking in two weeks.
    Shutterbug

-

I had mine, also inguinal, for 3 years before it got bad enough that I could no longer put off the fix - during that time I got in about 1000 mi - I found the hiking irritated the hernia less than other activities

Images

As others have said, the problem is if it gets strangulated and the section of intestine loses blood supply and dies. This would obviously be extremely serious. Usually they start as a small, non-protruding bulge and just get worse with time. Mine just starting bothering me and even wearing a compression garment and trying to keep pressure on it, it became time to get it fixed. Once they are to the point of needing to be pushed back in, you pretty much need surgery. The risk just isn't worth putting it off.
    Generally, hernias do not heal themselves, they require surgical repair. Often we are born with them or the starting "hole" and it just gets opened up more with age and activity and injury. I also doubt you will do much serious hiking 2 weeks out of surgery. I had an inguinal repair done and walking was difficult/painful for the first week. Sidewalk walking for 1/2 - 1 mile or so twice a day was okay at 2 weeks - any more was painful. Unless it is a very small hernia, I think you will want 6 to 8 weeks of recoup (including stretching and exercises that your doctor should tell you about) building up your walking distance before engaging in any strenuous hiking. Most repairs are done with a mesh and you don't want to tear things (some stretching is good though) while it's healing. It honestly takes many months for the numbness to wear off and to return to feeling normal, and even then you can sometimes feel the repair during activity.

It's definitely small. I can't see it bulging at all and the doctor said it was only about 1-1.5 centimeters in size. It does bother me a couple times a day. It's not very painful but I can definitely tell that something is wrong.

Don't take this the wrong way but this is probably a better question for your doctor than for an internet forum.

Images

It's definitely small. I can't see it bulging at all and the doctor said it was only about 1-1.5 centimeters in size. It does bother me a couple times a day. It's not very painful but I can definitely tell that something is wrong.
    Yeah, that's how mine started. One day I started feeling a little discomfort and I simply noticed it. Went about 6 months trying to avoid having it fixed sometimes wearing a compression garment and some padding to push against it but it just kept getting worse (and visually bigger - eventually a rounded bulge perhaps 4 cm long by 1.5 cm wide by 1 cm raised) but not popped-out protruding like some internet photos. It was just uncomfortable more than anything else, but it wasn't getting better. Didn't prevent me from some hiking or work or anything, but just not right. During surgery it was determined that the tear was actually two tears and larger than what was presenting, so my repair was a little larger - requiring about a 4 cm incision.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Merrell View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way but this is probably a better question for your doctor than for an internet forum.
    Agree 100%

Welp... when you are among friends, this is a good thing to discuss. I like this thread, myself. Comments have been very helpful, IMHO. I like the way Labojo asked the question, too. Just puttin it out there... awesome!!

Don't take my comment the wrong way either Merrell. I think I know where you are coming from 2.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Ask the dr about hiking and carrying a backpack with this. I knew I guy that hiked with a hernia and it got so bad he had to get off and have emergency surgery.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I did 2 of my 3 thruhikes with an inguinal hernia. I wouldn't say it's the most attractive part of my physique, actually I don't think there really is an attractive part of my physique, but it did not hinder my northward or southward progress.

It did make an interesting conversational topic but that's another story.
    AT x 3
    GA-ME 2010
    GA-ME 2011
    ME-GA 2013

double inguinal, repaired. polypro plugs and kevlar mesh across my abdonmenal wall, could feel the mesh for a few years until fully healing over, now all i feel are the the attached (frozen, i visualized it as spot welded) along the perimeter. one has held fast over the years, the other still causes slight pain. do not mess around with certain types of hernias, if they incarcerate with an intestinal bulge, they go septic quickly. only loss, i will no longer do roman sits ups. i was a monster with them in the army, and have never had any doubt that is probably what initially started ripping the muscle

there are trusses that can be worn depending on the location and severity

I've had a double hernia. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I realize you don't have the funds to get it fixed but I would put safety first and delay your hike. Hopefully there's a way to get it fixed. You can be up and at it after a month.

Garlic
    Images

I also had a bilateral inguinal hernia repair, just four months before my PCT hike. Personally, I wouldn't have hiked with a hernia. It would take a lot of the enjoyment out of the hike, even if I made it OK--it would be a constant source of concern. Good luck in your decision--it's a tough one if you don't have the option to get it fixed.

Thanks for the info. I may just have to postpone my trips. I'm a student and will be graduating in December of next year so I feel that this summer may be my last opportunity to get a lot of hiking in before I start my career. Better safe than sorry. Maybe I'll just shoot for a couple easy overnight trips to get my fix.

labojo, i'm nearly 40, and have put off a through hike every year since high school for a variety of reasons. in that time i've done a half thru, hiked the camino, hikied in the alps, germany, italy, scotland, and many others. i have done countless multi week section hikes on the at, ft, cdt, pct. so don't lament having to postpone. you are a young man, this is not the last opportunity. this is another opportunity. to get your body where it will need to be to serve you. that trail ain't going anywhere. life is long, but promised to no one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++