WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: bourbon

Something to contemplate on those nights spent out under the stars. Why does Marker's Mark distillery use the word "Whisky" while virtually all other distilleries in the US use the word "Whiskey"? Scottish distilleries seem to use the word "Whisky" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fwish View Post
    Something to contemplate on those nights spent out under the stars. Why does Marker's Mark distillery use the word "Whisky" while virtually all other distilleries in the US use the word "Whiskey"? Scottish distilleries seem to use the word "Whisky" as well.
    Would a rose by any other name not smell as sweet?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Since we've strayed a little from bourbon in this thread I'll throw in a plug for rye whiskey. I love me some rye, and I'm heading out on my next hike with some Willett 4 year old.
    Rittenhouse bottled in bond rye is my favorite - if you can find it. And it's not expensive.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JansportD2 View Post
    Rittenhouse bottled in bond rye is my favorite - if you can find it. And it's not expensive.
    Yep, that's good stuff...have a few bottles in my "collection" (I have a big stash in my basement). The Willet I took on the hike was really good, and I also like High West Rendezvous. I have some other ryes in my collection that were a bit harder to find, and I think I'm gonna start trying some of them such as the Sazerac 18 year rye.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    This is a subject that I am allegedly well-equipped to discuss, for reasons that are not exactly a secret. The answer is Knob Creek. Those of you planning a visit anytime soon to Neel Gap are well advised. I think that covers the matter.
    And thanks again for passing the flask when I came to visit 3 years ago.

Default a likely convert

Well- checked it out and while I'm not quite there- I suppose if I work at it by 40 I will be a bourbon aficionado as well. The Dalmore was nice enough, but I don't think I'd pursue this style much any time soon.

The Knob- Jack's expertise is not to be questioned! Forgot to mention it is 100 proof though- that's a 25% booze bonus that a UL hiker like me cannot ignore and the higher proof didn't make it any harder to swallow.

I'm not quite ready for the straight and neat route yet but I found this as close to drinkable as can be for me. Two to one with water was quite good- 1-1-1 ice water and knob was perfect. Great with Ginger Ale too. I think this will be a regular item in the home bar and likely on the trail.

I need to head up to Iwan Ries & Co. to obtain a bit of good stuff for my Meerschaum. I think the Knob, a fire, a slab of jerky, and a fine pipe will likely be a fine combo I will enjoy for many a year.

Thanks to all for this thread!

Attached Images Attached Images

Images

holy moley - this thread still exists?
    I haven't been here in a while.
    What's up everybody.
    Heck, maybe I'll have me a little snort just to
    celebrate the fact that this thread has been around so
    long - - opps, no bourbon - - - maybe a little rum

Images

J.B. - I can't stop drooling over that picture..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Well- checked it out and while I'm not quite there- I suppose if I work at it by 40 I will be a bourbon aficionado as well. The Dalmore was nice enough, but I don't think I'd pursue this style much any time soon.

The Knob- Jack's expertise is not to be questioned! Forgot to mention it is 100 proof though- that's a 25% booze bonus that a UL hiker like me cannot ignore and the higher proof didn't make it any harder to swallow.

I'm not quite ready for the straight and neat route yet but I found this as close to drinkable as can be for me. Two to one with water was quite good- 1-1-1 ice water and knob was perfect. Great with Ginger Ale too. I think this will be a regular item in the home bar and likely on the trail.

I need to head up to Iwan Ries & Co. to obtain a bit of good stuff for my Meerschaum. I think the Knob, a fire, a slab of jerky, and a fine pipe will likely be a fine combo I will enjoy for many a year.

Thanks to all for this thread!

It doesn't get much better than good bourbon and jerky.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    It doesn't get much better than good bourbon and jerky.
    Gets a little better-Add a fire, a pipe, and a fella with special goggles. That cannot be improved upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    holy moley - this thread still exists?
    I haven't been here in a while.
    What's up everybody.
    Heck, maybe I'll have me a little snort just to
    celebrate the fact that this thread has been around so
    long - - opps, no bourbon - - - maybe a little rum
    Ha! I was just wondering where you've been when I saw your thread today! Hi Papa D!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fwish View Post
    Whiskey comes from Gaelic - in Scots Gaelic uisge beatha - literally water of life. The spelling used in the UK and Canada is generally "whisky". In Ireland and the US it's usually "whiskey." As you point out there are exceptions. Even the federal law which regulates bourbon, rye and other American whiskeys uses both spellings.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    While you'd have to be a tasteless clod to not enjoy an expensive scotch like the more expensive Johnny Walkers I didn't grow up down south sippin jack on me pappys knee. Drinking Jack or Southern Comfort (I know) and passing a bottle was something we snuck off to do when it was inconvineint to drink cold beer, but not exactly for the pleasure of it. I did always prefer a decent cocktail with Gentleman Jack but never got into sittin an sippin straight and neat.

But I begin to see the appeal and I believe I am reaching an age where I can begin to appreciate these things a bit more.

Two questions for you fine folks-
    About what age does one begin to truly enjoy/aquire this particular hankering?

Give me your best $30-$40 ish dollar a bottle reccomendation for a neat glass to try around my next fire.
    (Plain ol Jack is about $20 or so around here for a bit of perspective on cost due to taxes)
    Give Eagle Rare a try. Reminds me of cherry coke!

Images

If bourbon is not your "cup of tea", it's hard to beat a snort of Courvossier VS while sitting around the campfire. I've never had a negative response to an offer of cognac.

th.jpg
    Doesn't get much better............

Parsimonious curmudgeon Slack-jawed Trog's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    I have been drinking whiskey since I was a young child...I used to get hot water, honey and bourbon to sip when I was sick. I could fake a cough with the best of them ever since I was about 7. With that being said, there is nothing better on this planet than Evan Williams. I do like the occasional dram of single malt but the Evan Williams black is the king of them all.
    You started late, LOL! 12TH MAN we might be related, as an infant my folx treated my sore, teething gums the same way.

For the record: Jim Beam but Old Grandad or Maker's work in a pinch. And Woodford Reserve is nice.
    Slack-jawed Troglodyte

Images

Quote Originally Posted by macdaddy View Post
    If bourbon is not your "cup of tea", it's hard to beat a snort of Courvossier VS while sitting around the campfire. I've never had a negative response to an offer of cognac.
    you know there are white blazers (who walk every step of the trail) and blue blazers (that might cut some corner ) and yellow blazers (who blatantly cheat down the yellow lined highway), pink blazers (who chase girls) and green blazers (who support legalization) - also sometimes called "tweed blazers" - - someone who carries Courvossier VS would definitely quality as a PLATINUM blazer. You also skip the hostel and head straight to the Hilton, right? No - just kidding of course - - Cognac is pretty tasty for sure!!!

Images

I only stay at a Hilton if the Ritz-Carlton is full. Of course I am kidding as well. I'm not too picky when it comes to shelter, Just with whom I share it. I'd rather sleep in mouse infested shelter with white blazers than the finest hotel full of plastic people.

I attended a Laphroaig tasting last night. I surprised myself by liking their Quarter Cask better than the 18 or 25 year. Did you know that for years they've bought all their barrels from Makers Mark?
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Images

The Quarter Cask is one of our regular drams, something we try to keep in the cabinet all the time. Great stuff. I have a little of the 18 left, but have never tried the 25.

Scotch Whisky is aged in bourbon barrels, which is convenient since bourbon can only be aged in new oak barrels, so there is a steady supply of willing sellers in Kentucky and willing buyers in Scotland. It would be interesting to know of the impact (if any) of the massive increase in demand for used bourbon barrels from American craft beer makers. I suspect that the recent increase in bourbon production tends to help with that, but I don't know.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++