Default Close trail towns with Walmart

OK, OK, I don't particularly care for them either, BUT there are a few things I can get there that others don't have. So, does anyone have a list? Thanks

Images

You will going out of your way to hit many. There is one near Ashland Or.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

What's at Walmart that can't be picked up elsewhere in relation to a thru-hike of the PCT? Honestly curious.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    What's at Walmart that can't be picked up elsewhere in relation to a thru-hike of the PCT? Honestly curious.
    for the curious
    3 faves that make my day:
    Nido/Ovaltine/whey protein (combo)
    Clif 20g protein bars
    Spam singles

oh, just thought of another one....dehydrated peanut butter....if you're concerned about the wt. of the others I mentioned

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nak View Post
    oh, just thought of another one....dehydrated peanut butter....if you're concerned about the wt. of the others I mentioned
    Rethink the dehydrated PNB. There is little water and they are removing fat. You want that fat for a thru hike. As far as your list, if your heart is set on it then mail yourself packages every few days to supplement trail resupply with those less than common items.

also, there are grocery stores along the way that will have stuff like spam singles. Nido may be a bit tougher though not impossible.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

If you are really set on these items, it is going to be easier to maildrop the items then seek out hitches to larger towns that have a Walmart. As Malto said, good chance the spam singles and possibly the protein powder would be in decent sized grocery stores already. Good luck w/ whatever choice you make
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

was hoping to avoid mailing as much as possible, but if I gotta, I gotta. Won't give up my treats. I can make up fat diff with other foods, like yummy spam. Thanks guys.

Images

You need to get out of Walmart and shop around. I live in a small town and I can get everything you listed except the dehydrated peanutbutter at my small hometown grocery store.

Clif 20g protein bars
    Spam singles
    I bought those in many towns along the PCT, especially the SPAM singles. No need to go to a Walmart specifically. Most PCT resupply towns are very small, but they often stock things that hikers would want. The only Walmart I resupplied from was in Tehachapi. I think there was one in S. Lake Tahoe but it wasn't convienent to go to and in Ashland. But Ashland has some really good health food stores with some really tasty stuff, so going to Walmart there to resupply seems pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Clif 20g protein bars
    Spam singles
    I bought those in many towns along the PCT, especially the SPAM singles. No need to go to a Walmart specifically. Most PCT resupply towns are very small, but they often stock things that hikers would want. The only Walmart I resupplied from was in Tehachapi. I think there was one in S. Lake Tahoe but it wasn't convienent to go to and in Ashland. But Ashland has some really good health food stores with some really tasty stuff, so going to Walmart there to resupply seems pointless.
    thanks for the towns mentioned

A few hikers make the farther into Bend,OR instead of Sisters due to the REI there. There is a Walmart there as well.
    If you take the bus from Independence or Lone Pine along Hwy 395 (or hitch) up to Bishop, CA, there is a K-mart.
    I made a mistake, the Walmart I mentioned in Tehachapi was a Kmart.

++ New Posts ++