WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I'm far away, sadly. You, however, can catch the bus direct to Arden NY from the Port Authority. For a new hiker from NYC you can't beat Harriman.

Vicariously yours,
    F B
    Yeah, FB.. I can only imagine the fun this group is going to have... We want pics... lots of um!

AT 2012

Would love to be able to help but am coming from the other direction... Someone else may jump in to help.. If not, let us know if the bus can work out.. That would be a significant part of the adventure!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Lazarus

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Bigeyes....how close can you get? I know the Metro North has lines that run north, but am not sure precisely where. If you can get anywhere near BearMtn on Friday morning we'll pick you up, and can bring you home (or to a metro stop) Monday.

Also, everyone planning to be at Elk Pen at noon: Kevin and Snacktime and I will be at Bear Mtn at 11 to drop off a car, then head to Elk Pen for the noon start. If you want to park at one of the bailouts between those 2 points and be shuttled to Elk Pen, PM me with the details and the ph# you'll be using and we'll try to arrange it. You MUST be at the p/u location by 11 though (or keep in touch along the way) and we should have room for 2.

Update Bigeyes: I just checked the train maps and the Port Jervis Line has a Harriman Park Stop about 3 miles from Elk Pen.....don't know the details, but it looks promising.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 01-13-2014 at 12:07.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

AT 2012

you are so kind, Teacher (& snacktime...).

I will be getting dropped off at elk pen at about 4:30 friday afternoon and walking, well, I guess they call that northbound. Just don't call me "late for dinner."

See you soon... oh, and the weather forecast is looking about perfect.
    Lazarus

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    I will be getting dropped off at elk pen at about 4:30 friday afternoon and walking, well, I guess they call that northbound. Just don't call me "late for dinner."

Your cookie will be waiting, along with a warm fire.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    you are so kind, Teacher (& snacktime...).

AWESOME!! I'll be thinking of y'all and dreamin of being with ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Your cookie will be waiting, along with a warm fire.
    You're the BEST!! So proud to be ur friend. I don't bake cookies & I suck at starting a fire but YOU are AMAZING!

Arranging to get Bigeyes too?? Yeah, that's our TEACHER & SNACKTIME!!.... Nothin but the BEST!

Journal Entries
    Images

..........blush......just paying it forward, Mom

Images

PM'd bigeyes.

Not the most convenient, but ride option offered.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Bigeyes....how close can you get? I know the Metro North has lines that run north, but am not sure precisely where. If you can get anywhere near BearMtn on Friday morning we'll pick you up, and can bring you home (or to a metro stop) Monday.

Also, everyone planning to be at Elk Pen at noon: Kevin and Snacktime and I will be at Bear Mtn at 11 to drop off a car, then head to Elk Pen for the noon start. If you want to park at one of the bailouts between those 2 points and be shuttled to Elk Pen, PM me with the details and the ph# you'll be using and we'll try to arrange it. You MUST be at the p/u location by 11 though (or keep in touch along the way) and we should have room for 2.

Update Bigeyes: I just checked the train maps and the Port Jervis Line has a Harriman Park Stop about 3 miles from Elk Pen.....don't know the details, but it looks promising.
    Do you think I'll have an issue getting back to my car from Bear Mtn? I offered earlier to leave my van at Bear Mountain and drive anyone back to their cars on Monday if needed. Let me know. Does anyone need a ride from "down the shore" or that area? I'm in Monmouth County, right off the GSP. I plan on being at Elk Pen at noon on Friday. I'm gettin' excited for this trip and meeting everyone!
    Last edited by moose717; 01-14-2014 at 23:12.
    "Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the quicker we will be
    able to treat life as art." Maya Angelou

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by moose717 View Post
    Do you think I'll have an issue getting back to my car from Bear Mtn? I offered earlier to leave my van at Bear Mountain and drive anyone back to their cars on Monday if needed. Let me know. Does anyone need a ride from "down the shore" or that area? I'm in Monmouth County, right off the GSP. I plan on being at Elk Pen at noon on Friday. I'm gettin' excited for this trip and meeting everyone!
    There should be no problem, Moose. I think my car will be at Bear Mtn, and I or Kevin or somebody can get you back.

Both the rail and bus look promising, I just need to decide if I want to do the rail and have a 3 mile pre-hike, or do the bus and meet teach at bear mt before 11. I'll let y'all know tomorrow. Thanks everyone for being so helpful! I'll bring lots of food B] I hope you all like cheese and apples and stuff.

Journal Entries
    Images

If you take the Port Jervis line and get of at the Harriman stop it's just a couple of miles from Elk Pen....we'll pick you up there just before the noon meeting at Elk Pen. It will mean you have to wait a while (I think it gets in at 10:30 ish) It's entirely up to you which way you want to do it. I'll PM you my phone number and if you want us to fetch you just call in the morning sometime.

and we LOVE cheese and apples and stuff!

Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

So I can take 2 people from Bear Mt. to Elk Pen (NY 17) to meet and start hike. What time do you want me to meet at Bear Mt. If I could be of better service to pick 2 people up at Tuxedo or Harriman RR Station. That I can do also. Just tell me where and when and what 2 people need rides. I will hike with you Friday from 17 to Lake Tiorati as a day hike. look forward to meeting you folks. Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will give you my cell phone number.

Aaron Schoenberg (askus3)
    Aaron

Images

I see from the previous post that we are meeting at Elk Pen at 12 Noon. If you are coming by train from NY, if I haven't been already placed in service, I could pick you up at Tuxedo RR station and we could start hiking a bit earlier and they can catch up, so you don't have to hang around the RR station for almost 2 hours. I can also plan a slightly longer route so we could meet the group at Island Pond. So let me know how I could be of help. My dog will be with me and he is ready to jump, hike and play!
    Aaron

Journal Entries
    Images

Wow, Askus3....you just sent chills down my back. My nephew-in-law and his 2 sons are hikers (but out of PA), and his name is Aaron Schoeneberger. Would that not have been a ridiculous coincidence!

I'll PM Bigeyes....or you can....to make sure he gets the message of post #94 and can decide what he wants to do. Thanks for pitching in.....how many are in your party (so we're sure to have enough cookies)?
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 01-15-2014 at 21:49.

AT 2012

i love it when people play so well together. see you all in a couple of days.

the weather is starting to look like winter-hike-dream perfect -- above freezing during the day, twenties at night, no significant snow but a pretty special effects snow squall for bragging rights.
    Lazarus

Images

On Friday, I am free all day. My plan is for my wife (non-hiker) and I to drive 2 cars to Lake Tiorati. I will leave my car there. Then I can pick up 2 passnegers (my car seats 5, but my wife & I & dog take up 3 spaces) - wherever (Bear Mt., Tuxedo RR station, Harriman RR station, Sterling Forest bus stop). Then I will either start hiking from Sterling Forest end of County 106 or Elk Pen lot off of Arden Valley Road. I will hike to Lake Tiorati parking lot where my car is. I will be accompanied by my dog (shih-tzu) Trekker. So now I want to know where and when I should meet 2 people to give rides. If we choose to start hike at jct. 17A & 17, I could take Parker Cabin Hollow Trail to White Bar to Island Pond Road to Island Pond OR Wildcat Mt., Furnace Loop, Indian Hill to the AT above Agony Grind and then come down to Elk Pen and continue across to eventually pass island Pond & onward to Fingerboard. If we meet at Harriman RR station, we could take the Sapphire Trail to the AT and then eastward (northbound). Then hook up with others at Island Pond to Fingerboard. These options make longer full-day hikes. So I am agreeable to whatever people want me to do. Note: If the train comes in much earlier then noon, I would think rather than hang out at a train statiopn in the middle of nowhere, it makes more sense to spend the time hiking. Of course you could do the Harriman RR - Sapphire to AT option without needing a ride from me. So let me know what 2 people would want. If someone wished to have my services, please e-mail me [email protected] and I will supply you with my cell phone number.
    Last edited by Askus3; 01-15-2014 at 14:28.
    Aaron

Still thinking about showing up on Saturday, possibly driving to Tiorati Circle early and hiking up to Fingerboard Shelter to meet up, then hiking to William Brian shelter on the AT and back to Tiorati via the Ramapo-Dunderberg trail. Would that work, in terms of finding the group and spending some quality time? Does anyone have specific hikes planned for Saturday? Is anyone coming from Connecticut just for Saturday who might like to carpool? May or may not bring my husky, who is big, exuberant, and sheds. (Your car will never look the same.)

Images

OK> Here are my plans for Friday and where I'm leaving my car. I'm meeting Teacher & Snacktime at Bear Mountain at 11:00 am. I am going to leave my van in Parking Lot #1 until Monday and will be able to shuttle anyone back to their cars. I called the Palisades Parks Conservancy -- 845-786-2701 to ask about parking. This is what they told me (in case anyone else hiking is going to park there): Register your vehicle with the park police at the number above, extension 208 and park in Lot #1. Since there will be no one in the "toll booth" when I drop my car, I won't have to pay the fee. If that's the case, I may just make a donation to the conservancy.
    "Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the quicker we will be
    able to treat life as art." Maya Angelou

I emailed Askus about meeting at the RR harriman station, so I'm probably all set. One other thing-- Does anyone have a sleeping pad of any sort they can lend me or sell to me? I'm used to using boughs to make my beds, so I don't have one. Unless there are a lot of fir trees in this park???

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++