WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I generally roll my bag up and stuff it (without a stuff sack) into the bottom of the pack, then everything else goes on top. As mentioned above, it fills the shape of the pack far better that way than it would if using a stuff sack.

As to Stephenson Warmlite, I tend to ignore/read with a grain of salt most anything they say... The tone of their website (and the chain of letters posted here) are enough to push me away from them. They definitely had some innovative ideas (incorporating the pad directly into the bag, for example) a few decades ago, but they've long since been surpassed by other companies and have failed to do any further innovation of their own.

I'm thinking when I finish gearing up I'll see how everything fits. winter bag is almost 10 L larger than summer bag. down jacket and heavy wt. fleece 3-4 L each ? That's 15-20 L change from winter to summer. So I'm thinking compress winter, not in summer. Unless I'm crazy enough to get a smaller pack for summer.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I use a rolled up closed cell pad as my pack frame. I put my food bag on the bottom(remember to take out today's lunch), then a trash compactor bag for my sleeping bag and PJs, sock, hat and gloves . I carry a kindle which I bury in the middle of the sleeping bag. My tarp and hammock go next and my other clothes (in a dry bag) go on top.

The food bag on the bottom makes the load sit better.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Images

This seems like the right time to get help whittling down your gear list instead of adding a compression bag.

LOL, they don't want to hear it Leaftye. Wasted my time writing all that.

I use a drybag/compression sack for my sleeping bag (Sea To Summit). If you have too much gear for a Circuit you have too much gear.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    I use to use compression bags . . . filling the voids!
    Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    Compression bags limit you . . . better for your sleeping bag.
    In the same vein I've found my down bag conforms far better to the bottom of my pack with a larger stuff sack. Compressing it in a smaller stuff sack made a hard ball that didn't conform well and wasted space.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    LOL, they don't want to hear it Leaftye. Wasted my time writing all that.
    This was my thought, too. I bought my ULA circuit to go lighter, not add extra stuff. It's amazing what one can do without. I just finished a few days in the Smokeys with my ULA Circuit and had plenty of room for everything, cold weather gear and all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++