WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default August 2014 E2E Back Up Shelter Plan

I have a question for everyone. I plan on thru-hiking the LT in August 2014, which will be my first long distance hike. I have a good amount of experience backpacking and hiking in the White Mountains of NH. I have begun planning and already really want to get my gear straightened out so that I can do some overnights or a few days in the Whites refining my gear and making minor adjustments.

On my thru-hike, I plan on hiking southbound and starting around August 1st. I want to spend AS MANY nights possible in the lean to's and shelters. I'm hoping that it will take me between 22-25 days to complete my hike. I understand that in certain circumstances, I may have to set up my own camp and sleep outside a shelter one or a few nights.

I really have narrowed down my back up shelter to two options and would like your input.

1) Poncho/Tarp and Ground Tarp shelter.
    2) Bring my Eno Singlenest Hammock and Atlas Straps (whoopie slings) and use my Poncho/Tarp for a Rain fly.

Option 1 is lighter but not that much more. I have a digital scale coming in the mail so I can't say exactly how much. I feel as if option 2 gives me a lot more options and is hands down way more comfortable for me, all for about one extra pound. I feel that I may even sleep in my hammock some nights outside of a shelter because I do like sleeping in my hammock. So on a nice night, I do feel that I would use it, not just if I had to. I like the added possibilities.

What would you do?

I'll be coming to you guys for more information because this place is a great resource. I have learned a lot in the past months just reading through threads.

Regards,
    fastfox

Journal Entries

Doing the LT you may run into shelter space issues south of Main Junction, with AT NoBo's, SoBo's and flipflopers getting thru then - hit a convergence of those bubbles and you may be camping under a fallen log if you don't have a shelter. Some form of shelter may be very highly advised then to the southern end of they LT. But north of there I would expect you could get away with more reliable shelter space. Then again I never hiked the LT north of Maine junction. I would consider at least mail dropping a decent shelter at that point.

I plan on carrying one of these forms of shelter the entire thru-hike. Thanks for your response.

Images

Although the worst of the blackfly season will be over, mosquitos can still be a problem. It sure is nice to have a shelter system that includes mosquito netting if the bugs get to be a pain.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Although the worst of the blackfly season will be over, mosquitos can still be a problem. It sure is nice to have a shelter system that includes mosquito netting if the bugs get to be a pain.
    I can deal with the bugs. I've learned to get use to them over the years. I planned on climbing into by sleeping bag with a head net on. Usually does the trick for me.

I did an E2E of the LT starting August 1st and used my OR advanced bivy once the whole time. And that one time wasn't really neccissary, it was just a curtisy to a small group of woman who were using the shelter at the time.

There aren't a lot of places on the LT really suitable for tenting anyway, even on the AT section. Straton pond is one of the few places with actual offical tent sites. Towards the end of the month you will start to run into the collage orintation groups, but these groups typically sleep under a tarp in less then ideal spots.

Even though there is only a chance of your having to need a back up shelter, it's always a good idea to have one anyway. You just never know. The hammock would give you better options then a tent given the kind of terrain you'd have to deal with.

Oh, one other thing. Although it was very hot and humid at the start of the hike August 1st, there were some down right chilly nights towards the end of the month, which makes a hammock without an under quilt less then desirable.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 12-28-2013 at 18:30.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I would bring the hammock. Is your poncho/tarp long enough to cover the hammock?

If weight is a concern, check into ditching the Eno and Atlas Straps. Those are heavy. A lighter (ripstop nylon) hammock and a different suspension system (tree huggers + whoopie slings with a marlinspike hitch connector) will be lighter. Sounds like you already know hammock forums, but if not, check the forums out. Just bring a life preserver to prevent drowning in all the information .

Also, for very little weight penalty you can make a bug sock out of tulle. I think it was 2-3 ounces total for the net. The only drawback is that tulle is not as strong as noseeum fabric.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I did an E2E of the LT starting August 1st and used my OR advanced bivy once the whole time. And that one time wasn't really neccissary, it was just a curtisy to a small group of woman who were using the shelter at the time.

There aren't a lot of places on the LT really suitable for tenting anyway, even on the AT section. Straton pond is one of the few places with actual offical tent sites. Towards the end of the month you will start to run into the collage orintation groups, but these groups typically sleep under a tarp in less then ideal spots.

Even though there is only a chance of your having to need a back up shelter, it's always a good idea to have one anyway. You just never know. The hammock would give you better options then a tent given the kind of terrain you'd have to deal with.

Oh, one other thing. Although it was very hot and humid at the start of the hike August 1st, there were some down right chilly nights towards the end of the month, which makes a hammock without an under quilt less then desirable.
    I've read that there isn't many tenting spots on the E2E which is what led me to the idea of bringing one of my hammocks. I also have a Hennessy Hammock Expedition with built in bug nut but I wanted to rule it out because of its weight and the "chances" of me using it.

Also I the idea of cold nights did have me thinking, But I have comfortably slept in my hammock with a sleeping bad and 20* down bag in 40-50 degree weather. Fully dressed with a full belly.

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    I would bring the hammock. Is your poncho/tarp long enough to cover the hammock?

If weight is a concern, check into ditching the Eno and Atlas Straps. Those are heavy. A lighter (ripstop nylon) hammock and a different suspension system (tree huggers + whoopie slings with a marlinspike hitch connector) will be lighter. Sounds like you already know hammock forums, but if not, check the forums out. Just bring a life preserver to prevent drowning in all the information .

Also, for very little weight penalty you can make a bug sock out of tulle. I think it was 2-3 ounces total for the net. The only drawback is that tulle is not as strong as noseeum fabric.
    My poncho/tarp is big enough. I've used a HH Expedition with the mini a-sym rainfly that everyone complains about for two years with great success. In heavy rain too. If you take the time to make sure it is set up perfect it is adequate coverage. But once you step out the hammock you'll get wet. My poncho/tarp is actually slightly bigger than that rain-fly so I'm not worried. Unfortunately, buying a new hammock system is not in my budget. So my Eno system is my lightest option. Thanks for your input

Images

Can I ask why you want to use the shelters?

I have used my hammock (Warbonnet Blackbird) on the LT for the last couple years, and it's always the best sleep out there. So many great locations to hang on the LT

All the parts of the LT I've hiked have been GREAT for hammocking, and not so great for tents .

And, in a single day, you might pass 2 or 3 shelters - IMHO they are a little close together in some places - south of Camel's hump, there are 4 within 9.6 miles. I'm not sure if that's relevant to your post or not LOL.

Images

I've thru hiked the LT twice and carried a tarptent. I used it fairly often because shelters south of the junction can be full etc. But mainly I like to hike longer days and the shelters sometimes would means a short day. I actually prefer the tarpent. In August it can still be buggy a dusk and dawn. I never really had a problem finding a good spot to tent. The crowd definitely thins out after the Inn going north. But August the AT crowd is mainly gone through.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

AT 2012

Absolutely nothing wrong with the hammock option... I've only hiked about two hundred miles of the LT, but wouldn't go without a hammock! Do you have a cheap foam pad? Not a bad idea to bring a torso length foam pad even that time of year... And short is fine.
    Lazarus

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    ...there were some down right chilly nights towards the end of the month, which makes a hammock without an under quilt less then desirable.
    Agreed. There were a few nights in the 30s when I thru-hiked SOBO in August 1979. I wouldn't hammock without an underquilt, or a huge volume of padding, below 50F.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

I agree with the hammock option. For late August elevation chill, a light weight insulation alternative to consider is a torso length piece of reflectix bubble pad. You can get one, made for windshields, at WMart, Kmart auto dept, or any auto parts store, pretty cheap.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Thanks for all the replies, I have decided to bring a lot more shelter than originally planned with all your input taken into consideration.

I'll be taking a HH Ultra lite Backpacker and Hex Rain fly. This will be nice because it has the built in mosquito net, and the hex rain fly is HUGE. Therefore, I'll have cooking space and some room if I'm caught in some rain. So, that covers two main concerns I hear about the Long Trail. Bugs and Rain. My whole system (hammock, rain-fly, tree huggers, stuff sack, some stakes and some nite-ize figure 9's) comes in right at 48.26 oz (right about 3lbs). A little on the heavier end, but a substantial shelter it is.

Now I'm trying to decide on my insulation. I already have one of those windshield reflector pads. I think that coupled with a 20* bag should be suitable.

My originally plan to spend most nights in shelters has changed and I'll prob be hammock camping most of the way. In the end, it seems like it will be easier. I will also still have the option of sleeping in a shelter, and I could fold my reflector pad in two as a torso pad, use my empty pack as a foot pad, and use a stuff sack as a pillow.

Now this is the first long distance hiking trip I'm doing, so I'm learning a lot as I read more and more. Sooner or later I'll have my Geargrams set up for some constructive criticism.

What is the common bear bagging procedure for bear bagging on the Long Trail? I'm familiar with the PCT method and have a nylon rock bag, coupled with a nite-ize s-biner, and 50' of z-line slick cord. This is what I typically use. Will this method be fine for the LT?

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

Haven't done an E2E on the LT....yet, just parts/sections. But, I have been camping in Vt since I was 6, and started bushwacking (my preferred "hiking" mode) throughout the state, as well, since I was 27. I'm now 56, and have never put my food in a bear bag in all of that time. You can, if you want, for piece of mind. Your set-up for the PCT method would work just fine.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Pod Bob View Post
    Haven't done an E2E on the LT....yet, just parts/sections. But, I have been camping in Vt since I was 6, and started bushwacking (my preferred "hiking" mode) throughout the state, as well, since I was 27. I'm now 56, and have never put my food in a bear bag in all of that time. You can, if you want, for piece of mind. Your set-up for the PCT method would work just fine.
    I typically don't worry about the bears in New England when I am carrying my firearm. But thru-hiking, there isn't a need to carry a piece so I'd like to take the right precautions. Honestly, I'm more worried about rodents in shelters eating through my food bag rather than a bear. Therefore, I'd like to bear bag it. Thanks for your response

Images

When we hiked the LT last year, we just hung our food and other stuff from the mouse-bafflers in the shelters, as did everyone else we stayed at the shelters with. There were no problems with bears, and we never had a problem with rodents or porcupines. A few places seemed to have problems with the porcupines, so we hung our shoes, too. (The porkies like the salt residue left from feet sweating in the shoes.) Folks who left their stuff out had issues. I recall a group who left their roll of toliet paper out and it was in shreds in the morning and another hiker who left his mug or bowl out and had to disinfect it due to the obvious "presents" left by the mice. If you want to bear bag, and it makes you more comfortable and happy, by all means do so!
    LT 2013, AT NOBO 2015, MSGT 2016, PCT 2017/2018

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
    When we hiked the LT last year, we just hung our food and other stuff from the mouse-bafflers in the shelters, as did everyone else we stayed at the shelters with. There were no problems with bears, and we never had a problem with rodents or porcupines. A few places seemed to have problems with the porcupines, so we hung our shoes, too. (The porkies like the salt residue left from feet sweating in the shoes.) Folks who left their stuff out had issues. I recall a group who left their roll of toliet paper out and it was in shreds in the morning and another hiker who left his mug or bowl out and had to disinfect it due to the obvious "presents" left by the mice. If you want to bear bag, and it makes you more comfortable and happy, by all means do so!
    I've decided to bring my bear bagging equipment. It's relatively light at 0.9 ounces (nylon sack, spectra cord, mini carabiner) and I'll probably find it useful because I will be spending a fair amount of nights camping in my hammock. Thanks for the input about the mice and porcupines. Plus, I'll just consider any bear bagging I do practice for my future AT and PCT thru-hikes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++