WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Constipation

Images

I usually have trouble during my first week on the trail. I carry Glycerin Suppositories which help most of the time. If you are out and experience a severe case where nothing helps you can use a plastic bag or wet wipe over the finger and resort to manual extraction. It may sound crude but it does work.
    There is also the other extreme which I experienced last year, so now I will also carry anti-diarrhea medication.
    Seek, and you shall find.

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKER- View Post
    I usually have trouble during my first week on the trail. I carry Glycerin Suppositories which help most of the time. If you are out and experience a severe case where nothing helps you can use a plastic bag or wet wipe over the finger and resort to manual extraction. It may sound crude but it does work.
    There is also the other extreme which I experienced last year, so now I will also carry anti-diarrhea medication.
    A sliver of bar soap inserted thusly will set your sphincter to firein' as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    A sliver of bar soap inserted thusly will set your sphincter to firein' as well.
    ...and if you do it right, you can blow bubbles and pop em.

First thing in the AM:

1 liter water + 1-2 packets Metamucil (or preferred) + caffeine source (powdered tea or coffee)

Eating tips:

1-2 cups dehydrated veggies with at least 1 daily meal
    Some dried fruits throughout the day
    Make sure ALL dehydrated food is thoroughly hydrated before eating; as another mentioned here if it isn't you create a dry impacted food log that will NOT move.

Avoid:

Too much fast food
    Too much dairy in towns
    Dehydration (obviously)
    Holding it (again, duh)

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

On my first backpacking trip in high school, I didn't **** for six days. I'm not kidding. I've never had anything that extreme since then; I'd say I've had the problem of too much more often than too little. But there has still been the odd two-day stretch where I got stopped up because of something in my hiking diet. Has always gone away without the aid of pills.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++