WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Wondering about showering or ways to stay clean

I know there's lots of hotels and hostels on the way where you could shower. But what if you would like to stay on the trail as much as possible to save money? Is there any other ways to freshen up?

This is sort of a no-brainer---and I like to avoid towns as much as anyone. In the summer you jump into a creek and bring your Bronners (I know, I know, rinse away from the water). In the winter you either do a partial bath with your pot/or water bottle and Bronners (for face and scalp and hands and hair), or you wet a paper towel/bandana with water and scrub your body---repeat as needed. If it's -10F and you feel cruddy just warm up a cup of water with the stove and clean with a hot cloth/paper towel/bandana.

Ya that is a no brainer alright lol but like you said, rinse away from water n all that. Looking for more of those kind of ideas. Many streams down south that dont get used for drinking water?
    Bronners is good stuff huh?

Images

baby wipes. some people dry them out first and remoisten as needed.

two quart platy with a top that has holes drilled in it. Heat one quart of water pour into cold one. perfect to shower with with. I manage to do it with one quart, I have a crew cut though. When its to cold I just towel off with water and bandana.

Bandanas or those sham wow things from the auto parts store ?
    I want 3 ; 1 to dry,1 to wash, 1 for the extra dirty places,
    I'm leaning towards those shamy things 8x8" they hold more water than a bandana

Quote Originally Posted by Robin2013AT View Post
    I was thinking of baby wipes just not sure i could afford em. But will look into it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    two quart platy with a top that has holes drilled in it. Heat one quart of water pour into cold one. perfect to shower with with. I manage to do it with one quart, I have a crew cut though. When its to cold I just towel off with water and bandana.
    Sounds like this could work.. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Bandanas or those sham wow things from the auto parts store ?
    I want 3 ; 1 to dry,1 to wash, 1 for the extra dirty places,
    I'm leaning towards those shamy things 8x8" they hold more water than a bandana
    I agree i think they may dry quicker too. I've never used one tho.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robin2013AT View Post
    The Coleman wipes from walmart work great. dry them out and add water to them when you use them.

Images

Washing up is one item, to me its also what you wear. Merino wool for me has been a game changer. Freshen up with water every day, wash the salt off your body and groin areas...........wash and air out tee shirt when you can. I used to wear synthetic tops, nasty!!!!

I carry a 1 gallon plastic jug, light, fill it up, bring a light washcloth........pin it to the outside of my pack during the day, wash up, pour it over my head, always refreshing, dry off with shammy, put night clothes on asap

My section hikes are late March and Sept/Oct so it is usually chilly at night............washing up and getting into my night clothes and sleeping bag is a great way to end the day. Add a bit of scotch or whiskey, not a bad day!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    The Coleman wipes from walmart work great. dry them out and add water to them when you use them.
    I'll be sure to check those out..

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    Washing up is one item, to me its also what you wear. Merino wool for me has been a game changer. Freshen up with water every day, wash the salt off your body and groin areas...........wash and air out tee shirt when you can. I used to wear synthetic tops, nasty!!!!

I carry a 1 gallon plastic jug, light, fill it up, bring a light washcloth........pin it to the outside of my pack during the day, wash up, pour it over my head, always refreshing, dry off with shammy, put night clothes on asap

My section hikes are late March and Sept/Oct so it is usually chilly at night............washing up and getting into my night clothes and sleeping bag is a great way to end the day. Add a bit of scotch or whiskey, not a bad day!
    Sounds like a good suggestion. Thanks i'll keep this in mind. The liquor might not be a bad idea either, But i dont think i'll be drinking on this trip, that could change tho.

Images

You are going to get dirty. No way around it. I carry a nylon bucket to wash in when it gets warm. When it's cold just wait till I hit a hostel or camp where I can get a hot shower for a couple bucks. If I have the money nothing beats a long hot shower at a motel/hotel. Also you will not be the only dirty person and may be more out of place being fresh and clean.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    You are going to get dirty. No way around it. I carry a nylon bucket to wash in when it gets warm. When it's cold just wait till I hit a hostel or camp where I can get a hot shower for a couple bucks. If I have the money nothing beats a long hot shower at a motel/hotel. Also you will not be the only dirty person and may be more out of place being fresh and clean.
    Thanks for the reply Storm, Ya I don't mind getting dirty but there's certain times you just can't take it anymore..
    Do the hostels let you shower for a couple bucks even if you don't stay there?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzy84 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Storm, Ya I don't mind getting dirty but there's certain times you just can't take it anymore..
    Another good trick is to bring two pair of lightweight silk or nylon underwear and on Day 10 of a 20 day trip swap out the old for the clean and try to wash out the old in a creek. This elevates the mood sometimes on long winter trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Another good trick is to bring two pair of lightweight silk or nylon underwear and on Day 10 of a 20 day trip swap out the old for the clean and try to wash out the old in a creek. This elevates the mood sometimes on long winter trips.
    Thanks, Walt. I do have 5 pairs coming in the mail. I have not weighed my pack yet tho so I cant say if i'll be bringing them all. I am a bigger guy tho so i carry more than most light hikers carry.

Thanks, Walt. I do have 5 pairs coming in the mail. I have not weighed my pack yet tho so I cant say if i'll be bringing them all. I am a bigger guy tho so i carry more than most light hikers carry.
    Only 2 pair are needed---one to wear (it helps to keep the shorts or leggings clean) and one clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Only 2 pair are needed---one to wear (it helps to keep the shorts or leggings clean) and one clean.
    I'll keep that in mind

I just use a bandana and water to wash dirt off at the end of the day. Before bed, I use an alcohol hand sanitizing wipe or a baby wipe to wash the private areas to keep any funk from forming. If I am really grimy, I will put a drop of Dr. Bronner's soap on my bandana. I haven't been out for weeks at a time, so I don't know if my method would work over the long haul.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Images

I carry an extra nalgene lid with small holes drilled in it and use it as a shower works great if its chilly you can always heat up the water

Images

When you get your guide book there will be prices listed for showers without stay for those that do.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    When you get your guide book there will be prices listed for showers without stay for those that do.
    Ok sweet Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++