WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Smile Introduce Yourself ... Please

There's a lot of new user names popping up on Whiteblaze lately. It's nice to know who's who and newbies (and lurkers) to the site.

I'll start- I'm HikerMom. I've been an active member for a little over a year. I like meeting new people. I have many friends on this site. I hope to make many more.

I live near the trail crossing in Daleville VA.

I've never added up the miles I have hiked on the AT but I'm guessing I've sectioned about 300-400 miles so far. My first backpacking trip was about 125 miles.

I can't wait to get back to my old stomping grounds in New Hampshire. I'm hiking with my daughter, who has done over half the trail. This spring we will finish up PA. Looking ahead.. she's already done CT and all but 4 miles of MA. I looking forward to the Whites with her and a friend. :>)

I hope everyone feels comfortable here & feels welcome... so introduce yourself.

Hello! I was a lurker for a looooong time before I got the courage to start posting (I'm a bit shy). I never contribute anything worthwhile but it's fun nevertheless. I've been consistently hiking for 4 years and most of it has been in the Smokey's. Whiteblaze, and everyone here, has given me the courage to branch out and try new places. I'm planning on sectioning the BMT next year and doing some AT sections.

Images

Well Hi Hikermom. I'm Storm, nice to meet you.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Hello, I'm Amanda. I'm planning a thru in 2015 and wanted to check out the community a bit before then.
    I live in Kings Mountain, NC, and hike as much as possible, though the thru will be my first big hike.

Thanks for the welcome
    "In our best times, everything turns into religion, all the world seems a church and the mountains, altars." ~ John Muir

Thanks for starting this thread HikerMom - Stephen here. Haven't hiked any AT---yet. Just moved to an area about 2 hours from the southern terminus and am hoping to thru-hike (or at least cover some very long sections) in 2017 when a good friend of mine and I reach a particular "chronological milestone". Thanks for the welcome.

Hey all
    I'm Rangeley from Rangeley Maine!
    i don't post much but sponge up a lot of great info
    Well I'm actually from RI but moved up here a couple years ago to get away from the sheep. I had done a little backpacking before moving up here, but really got into it once moving up here. I go whenever I can in the 3 better seasons, and ski in the winter. I'm starting from Springer on March 14th 2014 and will hike as far north as I can, hopefully I'll make it to Maine

Hello, I'm Wolf. I'm just getting in to backpacking and I've almost decided to attempt a thru hike in 2015. I really enjoy getting and giving a little advice in this community.
    I'm from the middle of nowhere Arkansas and Ive been trying to hike as much as possible.

Good evening! I'm Caleb. Got involved in backpacking through Troop 209 in Roanoke, VA more than twenty years ago and have always loved it. I especially love winter trips to Mt Rogers and Mt Sterling. Have wanted to do a thru-hike since I was in high school and it looks like next summer I'll finally get the chance to at least do a long section. Going to step off from Maine in June. Not sure how far I'll go, will be flexible on that based on the experience and how my body feels. Knocked out a 40 mile hike a couple of weeks ago and loved it, but I certainly won't be trying to do that kind of daily mileage.

I've been on WhiteBlaze for about a year. I've lived in Northern Virginia for the past eleven years and hike in SNP whenever I get the chance. Backpacked in the 1990s in California but mostly day hiked until this year when I got new gear, did some AT sections in and around SNP, hiked the Grand Canyon rim to rim, and thru hiked the JMT. I am currently planning two major hikes in 2014: AT SOBO from Harpers Ferry going as far as I can get in three weeks starting early-mid April and a thru hike of the Colorado Trail in the summer. I'm planning to thru hike the PCT in 2015 if I'm not sick of backpacking at the end of next summer!
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Hi HM! Great idea!! Violet B. here although how would you know that? I'm a 2 year WB Veteran. Lots of good info here. I completed my thruhike in 2013 and was proudly known as the older, skinny lady with the grin from ear to ear. Best time ever!!

Hey Rangley...there is something valuable about actually hiking home. The destination is clear so you just keep walking North. You'll make it.

I'm Importman. I live in SC about 5 hours away from the trail at best. My hiking on the A/T is very limited. I really don't have any plans of attempting a thru. I do plan to do sections as my free time allows. I've been on WB for a year or so now, just don't post a lot. What little I know about backpacking has mostly come from here.
    I may never get to thru hike but I'll never get through hiking.

Hikermom- a member for a year? Your join date says 3.

joined this site maybe 6 months before my thru hike in 2010. it was/is a great resource but can be a bit confusing at times for the beginning backpacker due to all the conflicting opinions. There is no substitute for experience so take everything you read/see/hear on this site with a grain of salt...get out and hike as much as you can.

Default hi!

Hi, I'm Greg. I've been a member for about a year or so. I'm mostly a lurker, learning as much as I can from the community. I post things once and a while. I live in WA St, in the Tricities. I spend as much time as I can on Mt Rainier as I can. Looking forward to hiking Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Adams this spring/summer.

Registered User Phoenix Firebird's Avatar

Evening all,

I'm Phoenix Firebird, & have been an active and lurking member for a little bit now. I live on the western side of PA, but a good bit of distance from the AT. I have been planning thoroughly and enjoying a possibility of a thru-hike. I was going to this year, but life had different plans for me.

It's certainly always nice to see such a great community on here, I must say. As I have seen nothing but fantastic people time and time again here.
    Go big or go home; except when it comes to your backpack.

Hi I'm Pete. Lurked a while with an occasional post here and there. I managed to backpack Big Bend and sections of the Pinoti and BMT this year. I was set to thru the BMT but a family medical situation took precedence. Also visited Springer twice once via the approach trail the other by car. I'm not sure what 2014 will bring, kind of living one day at a time right now. I have learned a lot on this site and appreciate people sharing their experiences. I think I'll post more when my next trip is planned or completed.
    "Difficulties are just things to overcome, after all" Ernest Shackleton​

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
    Hi I'm Pete. Lurked a while with an occasional post here and there. I managed to backpack Big Bend and sections of the Pinoti and BMT this year. I was set to thru the BMT but a family medical situation took precedence. Also visited Springer twice once via the approach trail the other by car. I'm not sure what 2014 will bring, kind of living one day at a time right now. I have learned a lot on this site and appreciate people sharing their experiences. I think I'll post more when my next trip is planned or completed.
    You and your wife have been in my thoughts a lot. Best wishes to you both.

Images

Hello! My name is Jonathan, originally from Michigan but I just moved to Jacksonville, FL. I've backpacked quite a bit around Michigan and just started exploring Florida a bit. A few months ago I won an all expenses paid trip to hike 70 miles of northern Sweden... pretty amazing experience. I have a start date for my '14 thru of April 3rd, can't wait!!

If there is anyone in the Jacksonville area that would like to meet up and do some hiking let me know. I don't know many people here and I definitely don't know many places to backpack.

HM, thanks, this thread was a good idea.
    Astro here, been on WB now for 2 years. Started section hiking at Springer with my son during Thanksgiving 2010. On my own now, and have 670 miles (Newport, VA), with 1500 to go. Hope to knock out the rest with a month or so each of the next 3 summers.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Thanks Itri, I appreciate it.
    "Difficulties are just things to overcome, after all" Ernest Shackleton​

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++