WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Hello my name is Anthony but I go by the name kerrkid on the trail and I live in Michigan. I have been backpacking for 4 years been out west to ONP & RMNP I have also done parts of the North Country Trail and the NCT/MRT loop, in 2014 im looking to head back to RMNP to summit long's peak.. Thru hiking is not an option for me do to every day life and work but I am looking to do my first 200 to 300 mile section hike on the AT feb of 2015. I am a year round backpacker and love winter backpacking.. This is my first post on this site but as the months pass ill be on hear a lot more trying to obtain more info do's and don'ts for my section hike..

Aloha, Jason here. New to the site, lurking a few weeks now and researching. I was planning a northbound trip in '15 after I left Hawaii but my schedule has changed which allows me to Southbound it in '14. Ex-Navy and been working for the gov for the past few years, but decided to get off the grid for a while once the wife retires from the Navy. Hope to see some of you on the trail.

Hi. My name is brad. Most people know me as Moonstruck Red or simply Moonstruck. Its not my hiker nickname its simply the DJ name I go by in my other hobbies. I am no hiker by any stretch of the word. Ive known about the AT since I read an article on Backpacker Magazine back in 2008 by sheer accident. Attempting a thru hike has been on the to do list now since then. I would have already tried it by now but my wife is going through nursing school and I'm working 2 jobs so she can focus primarily on the school side of things. Once she graduates in '15, I plan to jump on the trail the following Spring. Not a day goes by where I'm not thinking about this. Anyways that's me. Hope to meet some cool peeps on the site.

Welcome in everyone!! :>) We can all get to know each other on this site. It takes time... hang with us! Thanks again all for the introductions. If ur looking to meet cool peeps... we got em!! We are all pretty cool in our own way!

2014 Trail Days in Damascus VA, we can post a thread about that later... that's a good opportunity to meet up with each other.

Loving all the section hikers out there too! :>)

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    2014 Trail Days in Damascus VA, we can post a thread about that later... that's a good opportunity to meet up with each other.

Loving all the section hikers out there too! :>)
    We'll be there, and hope to meet loads others!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Hey all,

This is Skram (backwards for Mark S.) checking in from sunny Seminole Florida. Working my way north one section at a time. Never giving up the dream a attempting a thru hike.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir

Old Eagle from New Paltz, NY.

Images

Hello everyone. My trail name is Bamboo Bob. I live mainly in VT but spend time in Boston as well. I set a goal for myself of backpacking 10,000 miles and completed that a few years back. I have completed the AT three times one of which was a thru-hike. I've also thru-hiked the PCT and the Long Trail (twice) and the Florida Trail (twice) and others including the New England Trail in 2013. I started the CDT and did New Mexico in 2013 as well.
    I tend to think that backpacking is easier than a lot of people think. It really is just walking and being willing to get up every day and hike. I like to throw in my two cents now and again. But I do believe you must hike your own hike and that all gear, food, and trail issues have many workable solutions. One shouldn't worry about doing it "right".
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Tinker. Prefer to hike alone, camp with others. Have hiked a little more than 1/2 of the trail in sections. have climbed New England's 4,000+foot mountains except for 2 in Baxter Park. Climbed Springer in Mach 2006, Katahdin in 2008. Sectioned all of long Trail in Vt. Maine terminus to Front Royal, Georgia, and a bit of trail in the Blue Ridge done to date. Gearhead (recovering - I know what works for me..........and am aware it MIGHT not work for others). Bible head, too, as well as religious non-conformist (don't take your religion and try to make it fit into the Bible - I don't care who, how many, or for how LONG it [your pet doctrine] has been believed). Read it yourself.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Hey
    I'm Papa D.
    I hiked the AT thru in 85 then finished up college and started rock climbing. In the 90s through the early 2000s, I ran adventure programs for kids through a summer camp in North Carolina and led backpacking, rock climbing and whitewater adventures. I have also worked as a ski patroller in Colorado, and a bunch of other things. Somewhere along the way, I was able to buy a couple of rental houses and work on them led me into construction (for others) which is what I do now - mostly renovations, historic restoration and other projects involving older homes. I have a full time crew of about 5 people and we do somewhere between 5 and 10 projects per year.
    Several years ago, I decided to re-hike the AT but as a long-distance section hiker. Usually, once or twice a year, I do longish 100-200 mile trips and use weekends to "touch up" little missing sections - - I'm currently at just shy of 1250 miles re-hiked but I have covered most of the ground south of Erwin, TN multiple times. So far, I've also done most of VA, all of WV and Maryland, a bit of New York, MA, VT, and all of NH. I also especially like doing long wilderness loops in Joyce Kilmer / Citico Creek Wilderness, Linville Gorge and Pisgah Forest in North Carolina (where I also still climb a pretty good bit).
    When I was 31, I lucked into a great girl - quite a bit younger and doomed (by her parents) to fail but I'm proud to say that almost 14 years later, I have a lovely wife who is a pharmacist by trade but also is a trapeze artist. She is just fine with long distance hiking and trekking just so long as she has a shower and a bed at night (or a really comfy tent) so she serves as occasional support staff. We have one daughter who is 8 years old in the second grade. She is a competitive spring board diver and takes after her Mom messing around on the trapeze - - she's also good at basketball.
    Trails that I have done aside from the AT include parts of the PCT and the CT. I've also hiked and trekked long distance in Wyoming and in 2010 walked the Long Trail in Vermont (that's where I met Bamboo Bob - see above). I've also completed a lot of smaller trails like the Foothills Trail in SC/NC, and a good bit of the Bartram Trail and the Mountains to Sea Trail.
    I try to keep in good shape and really like doing pretty big mile days. Usually after just a couple of days on the trail, I'm in lock-step with most thru-hikers. When I have a slow day though I like to swim in creeks, sit by a responsibly made campfire, read, and cook some pretty dope vegetarian trail meals. I consider myself an environmentalist and a progressive but also a realist and a pragmatist - - I can be happy hanging out with all sorts of people who love the outdoors and look forward to seeing you all down the trail. Cheers.

Images

Hi. I am Wanderlust. I completed a SOBO thru hike from June 14 to November 29, 2009. I have a Maine section hike scheduled for August 31 to September 13 in 2014 ... hopefully without the monsoon rains that I experienced in 2009. I am a native of Georgia, but I now blissfully live in Alaska and I have no plans for any future relocation. When I lived in Atlanta, I did a good bit of hiking in the North Georgia mountains, most notably in the Cohutta Wilderness. I have hiked a lot in Latin America in Argentina, Chile, Peru and Ecuador, Guatemala and Mexico. I hiked the Tour du Mont Blanc in the Alps and have completed much of the JMT in California. Of course, I have been on lots of trails in Alaska.

Trail name is Tawa. Reside in Evansville, Indiana! Retired high school teacher, coach and administrator. Have hiked from the approach trail to Damascus in the winter months! Also, hike alot in Hoosier National Forest! Wish I was closer to the AT but hope to hike the state of Virginia in 2014.
    Previously was a Marathon runner and long distance cyclist but now want to focus on completing the AT!
    Always interested in meeting new folks on or off the trail! If your traveling through this area---give me a shout if u need a place to stay or hike from!

May the following have a Happy New Year and may all your hikes have fair winds, sunny skies and no rocks underneath your sleeping bag.

HikerMom58, ITri, NCn8chrgrrl, Waitin 4 my trl name, rangeley, Dat Wolf, Calebj,
    RN-PCT2015, Robin2013AT, importman77, capehiker, 4shot, Gwilli, Phoenix Firebird, Wild Blue, Subie Love, Astro, Christie Belle, None yet, Tuckahoe64, Toon, Teacher & Snacktime, slbirdnerd, adamjunzler, hikerboy57, AkaMirage, wookinpanub, Carlz993, Many Moons, BrainLe, illabelle, Grey Ghost, Murphy7, Seatbelt, Trebor66, Nyte, Devin Harvey, xokie, Deer Hunter, Sarcasm the elf, Drybones, Buzzy84, jfarrell04, kayak karl, Jagger, whisper walking, Valley Girl, Meriadox, Angle, Kolo, Trainguy, wren again, jimmyjam, shelb, SawnieRobertson, RockDoc, Merrell, Cro-Mag, Grampie, psyenz, drifter, Shutterbug, FooFighter'12, P Chang, DugK, Cookerhiker, English Stu,Kerrkid, Honuben, MoonstruckRed, SkraM, Old Eagle, bamboo bob, Tinker, Papa D, wcgornto, tawa.
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kolo View Post
    Hi, I'm Kolo and have been lurking for a while now. I appreciate all I've gained by reading the posts and hope I can contribute and pass on a little bit of knowledge along the way.
    Hi and welcome Kolo, from a fellow NOVAIAN.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Hi I'm Rob, no trail name yet but will hopefully receive a fitting one this year on my 2014 thruhike. I'm pretty new to the whole hiking thing (not too many hills in DE) but I've always loved being outside and camping.

GA --ME; and then some... Okie Dokie's Avatar

Thru-hiked the AT years ago...still miss the feeling of having every care and worry right there on my back and a day's walk ahead of me...been a member for a while, and just check in from time to time to see what the young dreamers are up to...let me know if I can help in any way?
    We shout out "I exist!", and it stirs not the slightest sense of obligation from the universe...

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    May the following have a Happy New Year and may all your hikes have fair winds, sunny skies and no rocks underneath your sleeping bag.

HikerMom58, ITri, NCn8chrgrrl, Waitin 4 my trl name, rangeley, Dat Wolf, Calebj,
    RN-PCT2015, Robin2013AT, importman77, capehiker, 4shot, Gwilli, Phoenix Firebird, Wild Blue, Subie Love, Astro, Christie Belle, None yet, Tuckahoe64, Toon, Teacher & Snacktime, slbirdnerd, adamjunzler, hikerboy57, AkaMirage, wookinpanub, Carlz993, Many Moons, BrainLe, illabelle, Grey Ghost, Murphy7, Seatbelt, Trebor66, Nyte, Devin Harvey, xokie, Deer Hunter, Sarcasm the elf, Drybones, Buzzy84, jfarrell04, kayak karl, Jagger, whisper walking, Valley Girl, Meriadox, Angle, Kolo, Trainguy, wren again, jimmyjam, shelb, SawnieRobertson, RockDoc, Merrell, Cro-Mag, Grampie, psyenz, drifter, Shutterbug, FooFighter'12, P Chang, DugK, Cookerhiker, English Stu,Kerrkid, Honuben, MoonstruckRed, SkraM, Old Eagle, bamboo bob, Tinker, Papa D, wcgornto, tawa.

Aww.... swa-eet, Rolls!! You listed out all the names of everyone that posted on this thread!! I love it.. I wish I could remember all that each one posted, their real names and what they shared... this is sweet!! THANKS ROLLS!

I agree with your sentiments & wish the same for you & everyone else !! ;>) Now to add Furlough, TheRob and Okie Dokie!

I love the usernames that people come up with too... so fun!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Lurker with a few posts. No trail name. Live in Richmond Virginia. Started section hiking in October 2013 have about 80 combined miles in Virginia and Maryland. Planning another 65 in April rockfish gap to hawksbill gap

I am getting back into backpack camping after 16+ years relegated to car camping. Now that my sons are old enough to hike w/their own packs, (and lighter weight equipment has replaced my way too heavy stuff from 1989), I am getting deeper into the woods and farther from civilization. Most of my hiking is along the North shore of MN, WI and Isle Royale NP but, I have ventured out west a couple of times. The length and duration of my trips grow just as fast as the legs of my youngest son but, I would not see myself thru-hiking anything longer than the Superior Hiking Trail for MANY years.

WhiteBlaze has been an terrific resource for steering me toward improved grear and trail food options. I also find the section hike recomendations inspiring trip planning foder.

I found my way here from Hammockforums. I have slept in tents, snow shelters and bivy bags but, NOTHING (not even my bedroom mattress) is as comfortable as sleeping outdoors on a crisp night in my hammock.

I continue to learn much here. I am greatly entertained by what I read here. I hope I can contribute something worthwhile.

Dave - just a little OCD

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++