WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default GG Gorilla vs ULA Ohm 2.0

Assuming a 12lb base, and assuming they both fit equally well, what features do you like/dislike about both?

Journal Entries

I dislike that neither of them are waterproof.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I use the Gorilla as my goto 3 season pack and like it a lot. Carries great up to 20ish lbs - I haven't went much past that but I'd guess 25 lbs would be the upper limit.

One thing I particularly like about it is that I can actually reach my water bottle in the side pocket without having to take off my pack or dislocate my shoulder.

The 2 things about it that I'm not thrilled with is that the zipper broke on the little stash compartment the first week I had the pack and the shoulder straps have to be snugged up a few time every hour because they don't hold firmly.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I dislike that neither of them are waterproof.
    You can get the Ohm 2.0 in cuben fiber for an extra $100. That and some seam tape should make it waterproof.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I don't think there's such a thing as a waterproof pack. This falls under the "ounce of prevention" rule.

Images

I've not used the GG, but used the Ohm on an 800 mile SOBO trip this year. This was my first time using this pack and I really liked it. I like it's narrower design and light weight, and the fact that despite this, it still held my winter gear comfortably. The exterior pocket's design also made it easy to grab what I needed. The pack is well made, and still in very good condition with no obvious wear. I like the pack because I can use it easily across three seasons, but if I went NOBO through the summer months I would probably go with the CDT, which I believe is a little lighter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Lulu View Post
    I've not used the GG, but used the Ohm on an 800 mile SOBO trip this year. This was my first time using this pack and I really liked it. I like it's narrower design and light weight, and the fact that despite this, it still held my winter gear comfortably. The exterior pocket's design also made it easy to grab what I needed. The pack is well made, and still in very good condition with no obvious wear. I like the pack because I can use it easily across three seasons, but if I went NOBO through the summer months I would probably go with the CDT, which I believe is a little lighter.
    This was pretty much my exact experience with the Ohm 2.0, except mine was 1000 miles AT NOBO. No wear signs at all, including lots of other short BP trips, a really tough but fairly light pack, 1lb 10 oz (I removed the extraneous straps & extra stuff). Easy to get water bottle out/in of side pockets. Plenty of room, I even now use this pack for short deep-winter backpack trips. Supportive up to about 25 pounds, useable for a shorter time up to about 30 pounds (like first day or two with 7-8 days of food/fuel).

I can't say enough good things about the ULA OHM 2.0. I have no experience with the GG so cannot compare, sorry.

I'm thinking about buying the slightly more supportive ULA Circuit for longer winter trips. The OHM 2.0 is all I ever need for 3-season use though.

Sounds like they are both great. Thanks!

http://youtu.be/byCBlRoNY2E

Shug does a review of both side by side on this video.
    Todd

Seems that the Ohm doesn't have much of a back pad. I use a xlite pad, would I still need a sit pad or something similar to provide support?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nastynate View Post
    Seems that the Ohm doesn't have much of a back pad. I use a xlite pad, would I still need a sit pad or something similar to provide support?
    Never an issue for myself, I personally just don't need much pad there, I guess. There is a light carbon frame around the pad that is there.

I've had 27 lbs in my Ohm and it was fine. The pad that it comes with is very sufficient.
    Todd

You an also make an effort to put only softer things directly against the back inside the pack, works for a lot of people.

++ New Posts ++