WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default For a novice (likely less miles/day) how long would it take Dick's Creek Gap to NC

and then back?

I'm thinking of doing this section this summer.

What would be some other 4-5 day sections that you would recommend in Georgia if not this one?

That's a really difficult question to answer, since hiking thru the mountains is nothing like walking on flat ground, like here in Florida; trust me, no walking on the FT is going to prepare you for hiking in the mountains. If you are a runner that would be easier to guage, but still not easy.

Having said that I would recommend that you start in Amicalola Falls state park and hike north. You start with a ~9-mile hike on the approach trail (not the AT, but otherwise it's exactly the same thing -- the only real difference is the color of the blazes). That way you have some bail out points if you need them. When you get to the NC border there is not much in the way of bail out points.

Good point. I'm about 6-1 and 195, not in tip top shape but in a past life was an Army 13F.

I've done trails in the Cherokee National Park (non-AT) but you are right, I certainly do NOT have trail legs right now.

On an unrelated note, what are your favorite hikes here around Jax?

Dicks Creek to the GA/NC border is 9 miles so I'm confident you do the round trip in 2 days.

Please clarify....when you ask about other 4-5 day trips are you talking hiking a couple days and then hiking back to your car OR are you going to hike 4-5 days point to point and use a shuttle to return to your car?

Thanks max, I had thought about beginning at Dick's Creek where the AT crosses I think 76, hiking all the way to the GA/NC border and then hiking back to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonAppleseed View Post

What would be some other 4-5 day sections that you would recommend in Georgia if not this one?
    This is what I'm clear about. Are you asking for sections that you can hike for 2 days and then turn around and hike 2 days back to your car OR are you looking to hike 4 days in the same direction and then use a shuttle to get back to your car?

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    This is what I'm clear about.
    Should read "This is what I'm NOT clear about."

I did Dicks Creek to Deep Gap in NC (16ish miles) in around 8 hours this past August. It was a long day that began at 4:00am in the Atlanta Area. It would be a relatively leisurely 2 day event. Camp somewhere around Bly Gap then march to Deep gap on Day 2. Then you could march back to Dick's Creek from Deep Gap. That is a pretty easy 5ish day there and back event. It is a great hike, but beware of Courthouse Bald. It was the first real climb and was a real shock after doing all of Georgia.

Amicalola Falls to Neels gap (40ish miles) would be a good 4 to 5ish day adventure too if you took your time.

If you are married to a there and back (not wanting or able to utilize a shuttle) you can use the AT distance calculator to gauge miles.

http://www.atdist.com/

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Should read "This is what I'm NOT clear about."
    Max, to clarify I am more interested in walking 2-3 days and then turning around and hiking back, no shuttles.

On an unrelated note, what are your favorite hikes here around Jax?
    I don't know, it's all flat to me; the mountains are where it's at for hiking

Based on you wanting to do an out-and-back, I'd still recommend Amicalola Falls State Park, because you can park there -- Assuming you are driving up there? (you also get to see the falls, which is higher than Niagara -- ok, but not quite the volume...).

I recommend getting a guide book, but the link googlywoogly gave gives you an idea. Just remeber you need to add 9 miles to your hike if you start at Amicalola ( The distance from Amicalola to Springer Mt {the start of the AT} )

Quote Originally Posted by googlywoogly View Post
    I did Dicks Creek to Deep Gap in NC (16ish miles) in around 8 hours this past August. It was a long day that began at 4:00am in the Atlanta Area. It would be a relatively leisurely 2 day event. Camp somewhere around Bly Gap then march to Deep gap on Day 2. Then you could march back to Dick's Creek from Deep Gap. That is a pretty easy 5ish day there and back event. It is a great hike, but beware of Courthouse Bald. It was the first real climb and was a real shock after doing all of Georgia.

Amicalola Falls to Neels gap (40ish miles) would be a good 4 to 5ish day adventure too if you took your time.

If you are married to a there and back (not wanting or able to utilize a shuttle) you can use the AT distance calculator to gauge miles.

http://www.atdist.com/

Jason Appleseed....Mikey is that you?

No, not Mikey, rocketsocks...

No, not Mikey, rocketsocks...
    just checkin, ya ever have lunch at donner pass?

mikeyappleseed youst ta post here....he was a trip!

Journal Entries

Easy to hike a BMT-AT loop around N of springer. At least that keeps you from repeating the same trail.

Backtracking is a pretty innefficent way to get anywhere fast. It sounds cheap and easy, but most peoples off time is worth something to them too.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Easy to hike a BMT-AT loop around N of springer. At least that keeps you from repeating the same trail.

Backtracking is a pretty innefficent way to get anywhere fast. It sounds cheap and easy, but most peoples off time is worth something to them too.
    You know that's a really good point. I hadn't thought of combining some of the BMT and AT but since I'm not a thru hiker, this actually might be a very good call and I can avoid the repetetiveness/boredom of the whole way back, etc.

Can you recommend any good BMT websites/guide stuff?

Here is good place to start:

http://www.bmta.org/BMT-ATLoops.htm

Also, if you find a loop you may still consider including the approach trail. Even though it would include a 9 mile back track at the end in my opinion it is MUCH safer parking a car at Amicolola State Park instead of the Springer Mountain parking lot. Your mileage may vary.

++ New Posts ++