WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default My feet swell after I hike

Just got back yesterday from a 5 day smokies trip - 66 miles. Got in the truck and drove 4 1/2 hours home. Now, the next day, my feet and ankles are swollen.

Last summer I did the 100 mile wilderness in 7 days. Then got in the truck and drove for two days to get home. My feet started swelling before I got out of Maine. Took a couple of weeks to get back to normal.

I exercise 4 or 5 days a week. Never happens at home.

I'm 59, soon to be 60. Never had this problem before in many decades of hiking. Is it age? Anybody else have this problem? Is it just the driving that does it? I'm planning a SOBO thru hike next year, and starting to get a little worried.

I know, I should ask a doctor. But why do that when I can get the collected wisdom of Whiteblaze?

I'd ask a doctor about wearing some compression socks after you hike (the medical kind, not necessarily the expensive trendy kind), especially if you're going to be sitting in a car/plane.

Not with my feet, but I used to get this with my hands before I started to use trekking poles. Definitely talk to your doctor. Good luck.

I used to get that when I was on statins. Took me awhile to connect the dots. Most docs like to prescribe them to folks our age and its a known side effect. So if Zocor, Lipitor, crestor sound familiar you may have your answer. Look around for wise old owls thread about statins ruining his hiking

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I used to get that when I was on statins. Took me awhile to connect the dots. Most docs like to prescribe them to folks our age and its a known side effect. So if Zocor, Lipitor, crestor sound familiar you may have your answer. Look around for wise old owls thread about statins ruining his hiking

Here ya go.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...king&highlight=

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Thanks guys, but I don't take any medications. So far anyway...

ICE = ice, compression, elevation

Images

Do you eat a lot of salty snacks and drink a lot of fluids after your trips on those long rides home ?
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I'm 57 and had this same problem with a 100 mile hike in April. I have never had it before, but most of my hikes have been under 65 miles. I'm not sure if it's the extra miles or the extra years, but it's a real problem. Epsom salt was the only thing I found that worked, but it took several days. I'd like to find a way to prevent it - not cure it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for the link... I am for ICE and elevation - but it doesn't work right after a hike. Inexpensive OTC ( Over The Counter) socks do help - I don't take them hiking - but put them on after I get home.

The swelling need to be checked out by a doctor, there are some 20 reasons for it... Hiking isn't one of them. Passing 50 has something to do with it. Perscriptions is yet another notch on the problem, and don't forget slightly overweight is an issue too.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Can diet have something to do with it? I'm not over weight and take no medications, but I eat very different on the trail and off. I was planing to take a much longer hike now that I'm retired, but like forrest - I'm starting to get a little worried.

I don't think trying the over the counter compression socks would hurt. I haven't had that problem yet, but did wear a sock after an injury to my knee 10 years ago which solved the swelling problem below that knee.

Images

I sometimes have this problem too. However I have noticed it only happens when I'm carrying a heavy pack and take some time off of hiking. The last time was in Vermont on the third day of my trip. I took a zero because it was too hot to hike(I have a bad habit of starting during heat waves). My feet and especially my ankles swelled up huge. I ended up taking two days instead of one. After I started hiking again the swelling went down and then disappeared. This never happens when I'm day hiking or have a light pack, only when I'm carrying a lot of food. Extra weight and stress on my feet and ankles followed by a long rest period seems to be the cause.
    Mobilis in Mobili

++ New Posts ++