WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Local Outfitters

I am new to the hiking scene here in the Atlanta area and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on local, reputable, outfitters that would be up to dealing with a lot of "new hiker" questions? There is a local REI that I've visited a couple of times but I am partial to supporting more local mom and pop type establishments. Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Images

I am not from Atlanta, but here are a few possibilities

High Country Outfitters -- http://www.highcountryoutfitters.com/

Half Moon Outfitters -- http://www.halfmoonoutfitters.com/

Mountain High Outfitters -- http://www.mountainhighoutfitters.com/

I dont think you are really going to see too many mom and pop shops away from the trail. In suburbia you are either going to see regional or national retailers.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Go up to Mountain Crossings at Neel's Gap. It is one of the best outfitters out there. The AT even goes through the building. Make a trip of it and hike up Blood Mountain while you are there.

If you can find good sales help at REI, they are a good organization to support. Ask about the sales persons outdoor experience before even considering their advice. Anywhere, buy in haste, repent at your leisure.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Outside World in Dawsonville. On 400 North before the outlet malls.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

All the mom and pop shops shut down when REI came to town. I think there are 4 of them. Some really high priced shops have moved into high priced areas like Buckhead, Paces Ferry, and Virginia Highlands, The Avenue in Cobb. If you really want to support mom & pop, try the cottage industries online.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsirocco View Post
    Go up to Mountain Crossings at Neel's Gap. It is one of the best outfitters out there. The AT even goes through the building. Make a trip of it and hike up Blood Mountain while you are there.
    Agree!

Default Local Outfitters

Most of the local outfitters in Atlanta just don't carry that much great stuff. Most of the stuff they carry is clothing and some basic gear.

Although i don't buy much gear from REI anymore, I would still recommend it over the other guys. Ive learned alot from some of the folks at REI. If some of the smaller stores carried cottage manufacturers gear I would be all over it, but the only place ive seen in Georgia that does it mountain crossings.

So I agree with the other folks about making the trip up there

Thanks for all the info. It is much appreciated. Am anxious to try and get up to Mountain Crossings and check them out based on what I've read here.

++ New Posts ++