WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

another plus for the polite 3 season quilt. . .in colder temps i use a marmot sawtooth down bag.

.com

Images

I don't like the hoods either. This is why I got a long quilt. When it is cold, I borrow down and pull the top together and snap it (Nunatak has a snap). I then partially lay my down jacket over the opening if needed.

Images

I use an UQ and top quilt combo now. Its lighter and smaller than my old UQ and sleeping bag combo. I've slept in it down to 30 on a slightly windy night, and down to about 35 on a really blustery night. I do toss a little, but I got the wide version on the hammock gear burrow, and it works great. I have a toboggan hat and a loose face cover (kind of like just the hoodie part of a jacket, with a pull cord that closes the face up), and those keep my head warm enough.
    The thing I hated about sleeping bags in the hammock was struggling to get into them and get situated. The quilt system is much easier. I have a thin fleece liner with a foot box I usually lay on, that wraps around me. Then my top quilt goes on top of me.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I'm glad to see some positive reviews for the EE RevX... going to try it out for my 5-day section in June and see how it goes!

Images

Montbel Spiral sleeping bag.. You can do yoga inside. It's is made to stretch and then go back. I sleep basic the same way you do. It is a mummy bag but doesn't sleep like one.It has been the best thing I have bought.

I have tried the Golite 3 season quilt and wasn't very happy with it. I was out in the Flat Tops Wilderness, CO for a week in September where the nighttime temps were in the 30s and rained; was cold the whole time. I was using a POE pad with an r value of 4.0 and a BA Seedhouse tent. The drafts were chilling me to the bone, so I'm going back to a traditional bag. I plan on keeping my 1+ season quilt for summer backpacking though.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

I just purchased an EE Revelation X 30*. I inspected it and cannot find any blemishes or issues with the alleged "seconds" fabric. I absolutely recommend it. I also am a side sleeping toss and turner. Hated the constricted feeling of my generous cut mummy bag. The quilt is 1.25 lbs, while my bag was 2.5. I delayed my section until mid-April this year, so I shouldnt need the 20* mummy. Planning to use extra layers and balaclava/ski cap on colder nights. And on the warmer nights, just kick a leg out and vent some heat. A quilt is very versatile for varying temp ranges, while being lighter at the same time. I used my Big Anges QCore SL on my last hike and loved it. Very comfortable, never felt any coolness from unerneath. I'm hoping the EE Quilt and QCore SL are the perfect combo.

I also added a 2 oz Exped pillow on my last trip. So much more comfortable than a clothes bag for a side sleeper. I was hesitant at first, but am very happy with that pillow purchase.

Images

I use the EE rev X also. On those cold nights I take my extra pair of socks and stuff them into that hole at the foot that won't quiet cinch all the way shut. Then I connect the little bungees under me to keep the quilt tucked in close and eliminate the drafts. Of course you need a good insulate pad under you. I use a Prolite Plus shorty over a 1/4" blue CCF.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++