WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

IMO if you are gonna go with a DSLR for landscape nothing beats a full frame. That said, I left all that home and used an iPhone on the AT. IMO the AT is 99.9% a "sharing pics" thing and the connectivity of the iPhone trumped the DSLR.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

There is a reason why a "pro" shoot includes a grip, soundman, art director and the photographer. Which of these won't you do? I'd go for a body and one prime lens or a wide to mild tele zoom and leave the rest.
    Cvt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    ... the little 18-55mm EFS STM lens that can be bought for $120 on amazon (white box kit lens take-off) is super sharp, Ken Rockwell even claims sharper than the 17-40L and it weighs on 7 ounces.
    http://kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/18-55mm-stm.htm
    I purchased my T2i with the kit lens and then purchased 2 of the 18-55 lens for a project. One of them I used to create a cheap macro just to see what it could do. Afterwards I ignored the other lens and put it in a drawer. The other day I decided to play with it and see what it could do compared to the kit lens. I have to say wow! I don't know if it's just me but the colors seem richer. I'm sorry to have dismissed it. It's definitely staying with my camera and I'll use it instead of the kit lens. I will be taking the 100mm Macro and Raynox M-250. I use a small Lowepro Sling. I do like Rockwells website.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob:1824676
    null
    I love the 70d paired with the Canon 24-105mm f/4 L and the Sigma as well. They both have silent focusing motors so with the new dual pixel cmos sensor in the 70d, they work flawlessly together. The only full frame lens I have is the 24-105 but it can still be used on the crop sensor. Considering I bought it refurbished from B&H for $800 I figured it'd be nice to have. Especially when I eventually upgrade to a full frame dslr, I don't have to buy a new lens. The set up is a little heavy, won't deny that, but it will be worth it. I'm carrying it in a chest harness so I won't have to put extra weight in my pack. Like I said before, my winter base weight is under 10 pounds so I don't mind carrying the extra camera gear

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Ben Benvie did <<<BTW, click that to see his work

I think his was a Canon 4d Mark II
    Those were great shots. Thanks for sharing. I would love to take my DSLR on thru hike but the camera (Canon 5d MKII) is heavy, then I add the lens and it becomes extremely heavy. I will also be worried sick at the possibility of damaging either of the two. Just too much of a risk. I plan to take a Gopro and Canon Powershot. They both take awesome photos, are lightweight and if something should happen to either I won't be out a lot of $$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    Try this... www.melandmikehike.com Mel (click) carried one and would be more than glad to share with you.
    Can you share what camera gear you used and how you carried it, kept it dry, etc? Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by goody5534 View Post
    If u wanna hike with a dslr You need this product... amazing is the the only way to describe this product. https://peakdesignltd.com/store/capturepro dont consider hiking with a dslr without this product. ..
    Man! That is an awesome product. Got to get one of these. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Regarding all this Canon camera gear being discussed… looks like quite a few of the lenses discussed are Full-frame lenses, meaning they are bigger and heavier than they need to be for the APS-C sensor cameras discussed (70D, T3i, 7D). Basically, wasted glass & lens body producing images way bigger than the sensor that is recording them.
    For example, the 17-40L lens mentioned, yeah, GREAT lens for full frame, I own it myself using it on my full frame 6D, but big and heavy and actually, the little 18-55mm EFS STM lens that can be bought for $120 on amazon (white box kit lens take-off) is super sharp, Ken Rockwell even claims sharper than the 17-40L and it weighs on 7 ounces.
    http://kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/18-55mm-stm.htm
    Then there is the Canon SL1 body, 13 ounces, uses the same sensor as the T5i plus, coupled with the 18-55 EFS/STM I just mentioned is a fantastic video setup, supposedly the live view focusing with these new STM lenses are the bee’s knees. Total weight of camera and lens maybe 21 ounces. My point is you can have your cake (excellent DSLRT camera & video capability) and eat it too (only about 2 pounds total weight including case, extra battery or two and filters, etc).
    Most people are married to their gear, but I recently saw the light and sold my heavier stuff and now am setup with the SL1 and 18-55 for my primary kit on next year’s long hike. I might also carry an ultrawide, like the 14 ounce 10-22mm, OR the 55-250 zoom, but probably not both. I wish they made a small, light wide prime…
    Thanks for the info. Might be a better option for me to mull over.

I would guess that far more people have STARTED a thru hike with heavy camera gear than have FINISHED a thru hike with heavy camera gear. That, in itself, should speak volumes.

That being said, others HAVE completed thru hikes while carrying heavy camera gear. so, it is indeed possible.

As someone has already said--if you want it badly enough--you will find a way to carry it.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

It depends how much you are into photography. I was travelling around the world a few years ago and was carrying my DSLR, but I eventually switched to a small compact just because it was too much for me to keep up with and carry. I found myself walking, exploring and snapping pictures rather than attempting to get awesome photos from my camera.

I was a graphic design and photography major and 1 time only did I pack the "big guns"... I went from Cravers Gap to Kincora carrying a Chamonix 4 X 5 view camera, 3 lenses; a 90, 150 and 210 mm, tripod, 12 film packs(24 photos), a Shepherd Polaris light meter and the other associated accessories. Have wonder memories and super images especially from the balds. Will I do it again? H*** NO... Needless to say I packed very few other items and the pack was HEAVY!!!

Journal Entries

Some people love to take great pictures, its a reason they get out and hike. For them, sure.

As for me, Id love to do that too. Problem is, Im not capable of it. So I stick with Point and shoot.

Advice I read for the JMT: Dont bring a heavy camera, just a small light point and shoot. Any scenic view you want, rest assured someone else has already taken better pics of it than you can, and you can find those online.

The idea behind a 6x6 was Not to use a 4x5, the idea behind a 35 was not to use a 6x6 or a 4x5. I have a DSLR but will carry a Fiji X PROF or a Nixon A because ... The idea is not to carry a DSLR.
    The quality of the pictures you bring back depends on you first. You cannot buy quality just by carrying ##s. Having said that IF (and a really big IF) I could buy a 100 megapixel camera the size of a 4/3 DSLR, would I? Don't stand in my way!
    If you want some advice - "f8 and be there" has always worked for me. F8 for knowing the hardware (You're depending on only the auto settting? You poor sap). Be there - where there are pictures AND that can be in your own backyard. First you have to see them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

It can be done. i hiked with someone who carried a DSLR the whole way. one option is to put the camera in a gallon size zip lock and then put it in a soft case. she would carry it in her pack if the weather was poor, on nice days she would sling it around her neck. i met other people who would velcro the case to their hipbelt or sternum strap.

A compromise is something like the Canon SX30. It has a big lens but it's light, cheap, and takes nice pictures and video. I got mine from the Canon refurb web site and it was less than $200.

As a freelance professional photographer, I know I won't be happy with a P&S camera for something of this level of life importance. I'd be the guy who 50 years from now showing grandkids photos of my hike would still b*tch about the low res quality of a small camera. My usual rig is a Canon 6D, 24-70f/2.8, 70-200f/4, and the 530 speedlite.

I'll be taking my T1i backup body with the 17-50 (really considered a 50 prime, but lack of adj. focal length, and 1.6x crop factor would get frustrating). I'll carry 2 batteries, and 5x16GB memory cards, which should net me 1,300 RAW or 14,500 JPEGs. I've factored the weight in since the beginning. I just know I'd kick myself at "that vista" somewhere for not having a real camera if I went with anything less.
    --
    Texaco
    GA-ME 2014 | April 4th - July 26th
    Long Trail Winter 2016 | December 19th - ......
    Endurance Adventuring / A.T. Resource Blog - www.2180miles.com

If you don't already have any gear and want a system that will deliver the goods if you are up to the task...
    Olympus digital body of your choice. OM-D, either version, produces wonderful results in capable hands. I have seen photos from the OM-D M5. They are fantastic.
    12-50 zoom lens.
    Spare batteries. A bushel of cards.
    Have fun!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Texaco,

I've been happy with both the micro 4/3 and the Fuji X systems. Excellent image quality in a much smaller package. I'm using the Fujis for about 80% of what I shoot at work these days. The big Canons only come out for sports or heavy lighting.

I could be very happy with the Fuji X100s on a thruhike. It has a fast 35mm-equivalent lens, terrific image quality including high ISOs, and it's tiny and light. Sure, there's no zoom, but that focal length is a classic and can be used for many different kinds of photos. I'd also consider the Panasonic GX7 with their excellent 20mm f/1.7 lens (40mm eq), a similar small package that can take additional lenses.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

A fellow I hiked a lot with in 2006 carried a film Canon EOS the whole way. He was quickly dubbed Snapshot. (During the course of his hike, he heard about other hikers given the same name.)

At this point, it's worth the weight penalty most of the time for me to carry a Nikon D40 on most of my hikes and trips. The battery life is very good, which is an important consideration. It's sturdy. It's old enough that I don't worry a lot about something bad happening to it. It has lived quite an exciting life already (it was my traveling son's first SLR before he gave it to me, and he bought it used), and is still going strong. If I were thru-hiking again, I'd bring it, or something similar.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I carried a Panasonic TS3 on my thru. Water proof so I didn't have to worry. Decent but not great photos. I have just ordered a Panasonic GM1 for future hikes.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++