WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

Apart from safety issues, I would suggested that you simply ask the hotel owner/manager if you are allowed to cook in the room. If they say yes, then you're good. If the answer is no, then respect their wishes & make them happy to host hikers again.

cheers,

Kaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Kangaroo View Post
    Apart from safety issues, I would suggested that you simply ask the hotel owner/manager if you are allowed to cook in the room. If they say yes, then you're good. If the answer is no.....

Kaptain
    [my caveat]

.....then cook in the bath tub so you don't burn the place down.

Images

I'm pretty sure the back of the door says no cooking in a room.
    The last time I did it probably won't be the last time....

generally never leave a camp stove unattended.

MREs don't require a stove. Just add water to the heater bag and they self cook.

Cooking on an open flame in a motel room is asking to be included on a future Darwin Award list.

You would be subjecting everyone else staying at the motel to a fire risk, not just yourself. Just don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    First post. Will the following ones be this stupid.
    Will the rest of yours be this rude?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    Will the rest of yours be this rude?
    Yeah, really. I guess I’m REALLY dumb because it was a good question. OK, I’m going to be just as rude:
    It boggles my mind how people with any brains whatsoever could think that a small canister stove, like a jetboil, used on a hard surface like a bathtub of tile bathroom floor could be in any way, even REMOTELY dangerous. These are the same hotels that allows smokers in some of the rooms. Smoking, like in bed, with butts likely thrown in the trash can, fully allowed, yet a jetboil on a tile floor might kill women and children????? Use your brains folks. Right. And do you really think there is significant CO from these puppies? Nope. Not even close. Light one in a small bathroom sometime and put a CO detector in there if you don’t believe me.

Rayjai, welcome to WB. Don't mind all the sniping. Some of us would be better off if we were to get away from the keyboard more often. If you have a small isobutane canister stove, like a JetBoil, are simply boiling some water, and have a modicum of wits, you should be fine. I use my Sneak Peak isocanisters and Snow Peak Lite Max stove and trail cookware on rare occasions to quickly heat up some water in a large hotel room (not in severely enclosed environments) to save some food money on trips. Don't burn counters or start fires and use some ventilation common sense. Of course you should be mindful of the motel's property; I think you knew that without having to be told.

Also, if you're just trying to get some boiled/hot water to make some in room meals that can be had in many ways that do not require sparking up a stove ie; 1) check the hot water tap in the room(might be HOT enough water to make a meal) 2) some motel rooms or the lobby area are equipped with microwaves 3) check the hotel lobby or room for a coffee maker/pot U can boil water in using the coffee maker 4) some motels have HOT WATER spigots(like on coffee machines) in hotel lobbies, ASK the concierage or front desk clerk about obtaining some hot water for meals 4) if there's a convenience store or restaurant near the motel they'll have HOT WATER spigots as well(like on coffee making machines). I've gotten some HOT WATER from restaurants and convenience stores several times to warm up/cook a meal. I've never been turned down after first asking for it. DON'T TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF or become complacent and you'll find an easy, SAFE, and cost effective enough way to make some food to save some do re mi.

You should absolutely contact Baxter SP about conditions and closures RIGHT BEFORE heading there from Boston. It's NOT just about doing Knife's Edge either. Baxter SP Rangers sometimes closes the hiking route(s) to the the Mt K summit as well as the roads into the park. The Rangers may also check out your "winter hiking gear" and "winter hiking readiness." It's not summer conditions. They don't have to allow you to go up to higher/highest elevations. Trying to help.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yeah, really. I guess I’m REALLY dumb because it was a good question. OK, I’m going to be just as rude:
    It boggles my mind how people with any brains whatsoever could think that a small canister stove, like a jetboil, used on a hard surface like a bathtub of tile bathroom floor could be in any way, even REMOTELY dangerous. These are the same hotels that allows smokers in some of the rooms. Smoking, like in bed, with butts likely thrown in the trash can, fully allowed, yet a jetboil on a tile floor might kill women and children????? Use your brains folks. Right. And do you really think there is significant CO from these puppies? Nope. Not even close. Light one in a small bathroom sometime and put a CO detector in there if you don’t believe me.
    I wasn't questioning your opinion if it was a good or bad idea...in fact I pretty much agree, its not such a great idea. I was questioning why you felt it necessary to call the op stupid. BTW...I've burned just about very type of backpacking stove known to man, with the possible exception of a wood burner, inside my house and I'm still alive and my house is still standing. Not too sure if I suffered any drain bamage.

"Not too sure if I suffered any drain bamage."

gee, da Guess yous were wearing an WB Poster tested an approved ba ah sarfty hemet.

When the wife is gone I use my alcohol stove to make a single cup of coffee in the house, set it up on the kitchen stove. I don't see an issue if you use it somewhere like on the bathroom floor where you have tile and put it away from any carpet. If using a gas kitchen stove doesn't cause an alarm when cooking a small gas stove shouldn't, just dont put it near something flamable.

I agree with what several others have stated - a canister stove is no problem. At home, I'll light up an alcohol stove in the kitchen while testing without worrying about it. Not sure I'd do that in a hotel room though. Definitely don't use a white gas stove though. The priming phase alone is sketchy enough to make it a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    When the wife is gone I use my alcohol stove to make a single cup of coffee in the house, set it up on the kitchen stove. I don't see an issue if you use it somewhere like on the bathroom floor where you have tile and put it away from any carpet. If using a gas kitchen stove doesn't cause an alarm when cooking a small gas stove shouldn't, just dont put it near something flamable.
    Ha! This is what I do when I experiment with hiking stoves/cooking...right on the stovetop at home!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

AS others said, just ask first.

If they say no, light it up outside the door.
    If they say yes, use the precautions listed.

Not that difficult, really.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries

I manage the front desk of a hotel and resort. Just from personal experience with guests. Eating in a room is fine and expected. However, if we find people cooking in the rooms with so much as a hot plate, the fine is $100. If there is damage it's what ever it costs to repair the damage. We had a guest cook right outside the room on the boardwalk. Their gas stove/contraption burnt the boards and almost caught the eaves on fire. If people want to camp out, then great, we have tent sites available but camping out in the room is not appropriate or considerate. Smoke is also difficult to eliminate from the room. If a guest walks in and smells smoke, food odors etc, they walk right back out. That room is not rentable thereafter for days.

On a more common sense approach. Cooking with gas in an enclosed room, it's not a house folks with normal ventilation, it's A room. You are asking for a more permanent night's sleep. You could very well be cooking one minute and then you're asleep the next. You won't even recognize what is happening. Good luck with that.

I own a mom and pop motel. I would say no to this if asked (If people have an accident you will get sued although its there fought). Im sure people do God knows what in the rooms with out asking though. I do provide a covered pavilion with grills. http://laurelparkinn.com/rooms.html

Common sense has been bred out of several generations.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Here is the official answer to Jetboil on where to use it:

Thank you for your email. The cooking system does produce minimal amounts of carbon monoxide due to the burning of the isobutane and propane fuel mixture so we recommend never using the appliance in an enclosed space such as a camper, tent, car or home without the proper ventilation for the vapors.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++