WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cuba, NM to Wolf Creek Pass CO Miles?

How many miles from Cuba to Wolf Creek pass?

Images

About 120 miles per Bear Creek Maps from 2011.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Thanks. I couldn't figure out the online maps. And don't have a guidebook yet.

CAREFUL. The CDT is not the AT. The CDT isn't one defined one route fits all hike. Between the same two end pts different folks trail mileage could be different sometimes SIGNIFICANTLY so.

Look at the trail mileage differences posted here between Cuba and Pagosa Springs(Wolf Crk Pass). and as in re4gards to resupply.

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/cdt99%20miles.html

Spirit Eagle has it as 219-220 miles.

I ran into this repeatedly as I deviated often from anyone else' CDT trail mileage as the route everyone else took seemed to often differ from my own. I also was most often using Ley's CDT maps which don't calculate the mileage for all the differnt routes on his maps. This is reasonable and should be expected as no one I know has ALL the different trail mileages on the various more common routes. New routes are being devised quite regularly as well.

By my calculation, on the official CDT it is 151 Miles from Cuba to Cumbres Pass. Via Ghost Ranch it 3.5 miles less. There is quite a bit of nice new trail between Bear Camp (where Ghost Ranch and Official routes reunite) and the Colorado border. It is 69.1 miles from Cumbres Trestle to Wolf Creek Pass on the official route. The official route through the South San Juans is awesome, and so is the 145.3 miles of the North San Juans heading up from Wolf Creek Pass to Eddiesville.

IMO, the San Juans provide some of the best hiking on the entire trail. Right up there with The Winds, Scapegoat, Bob Marshall, and Glacier NP. The Weminuche Wilderness is the largest WA in Colorado, and the trail is in it for 82 miles. It is a shame so many hikers are forced to detour around because of conditions or time constraints.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    IMO, the San Juans provide some of the best hiking on the entire trail. Right up there with The Winds, Scapegoat, Bob Marshall, and Glacier NP. The Weminuche Wilderness is the largest WA in Colorado, and the trail is in it for 82 miles. It is a shame so many hikers are forced to detour around because of conditions or time constraints.
    Indeed. My one regret from my thru-hike is that early season snow storms (early winter really, as the snow did not melt out) forced me to go lower.
    Good thing I've been there before. Small consolation, though.

Another reason why section hiking is not a bad way to go on the CDT.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    By my calculation, on the official CDT it is 151 Miles from Cuba to Cumbres Pass. Via Ghost Ranch it 3.5 miles less. There is quite a bit of nice new trail between Bear Camp (where Ghost Ranch and Official routes reunite) and the Colorado border. It is 69.1 miles from Cumbres Trestle to Wolf Creek Pass on the official route. The official route through the South San Juans is awesome, and so is the 145.3 miles of the North San Juans heading up from Wolf Creek Pass to Eddiesville.

That's why I plan to head north from Chama in July. I'm done with postholing. I'm 65, I've earned it.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

According to CDT Mailing Labels it's 195 which is a best guess using Yogi, Ley and Wolf mileage. It also goes through Ghost ranch.

http://www.soruck.net/cdt/

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    CAREFUL. The CDT is not the AT. The CDT isn't one defined one route fits all hike. Between the same two end pts different folks trail mileage could be different sometimes SIGNIFICANTLY so.

Look at the trail mileage differences posted here between Cuba and Pagosa Springs(Wolf Crk Pass). and as in re4gards to resupply.

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/cdt99%20miles.html
    Thanks for that link.

Many of the mileage discrepancies are due to the ever evolving nature of the CDT which is a work in progress. The hike from Cuba to Cumbres Pass used to include 80 miles of walking along highways and dirt roads. The 2001 "Official Guidebook" had it following the dirt road from Skull Bridge to Hwy 84, then highway 84 for 44 miles north to Chama, where you turned east and hiked another 11 miles along NM 17 to Cumbres Pass. Thanks to the efforts of the Carson NF, the trail has been completely relocated off of this route. Many miles of new trail have been built in the area, with more being built every year. The mileages are changing accordingly. We have spent a few days every year for several years putting the new trail on the map as it becomes usable. We added newly built trail near Hopewell Lake this year, and another 8-9 miles near Canjilon Lakes should be completed next summer.
    Last edited by bearcreek; 12-10-2013 at 11:36.

++ New Posts ++