WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Why McDonalds?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    At some point we have to ask ourselves, "When is a salad no longer a salad?"

Fiber is important, but you don't need to eat a salad to get more than enough fiber. Couple ears of corn or a couple apples keep me just fine and regular. Or you could just buy more broccoli --plenty of fiber in that --, as the article mentions:

Excerpt
    :
    "The corollary to the nutrition problem is the expense problem. The makings of a green salad — say, a head of lettuce, a cucumber and a bunch of radishes — cost about $3 at my supermarket. For that, I could buy more than two pounds of broccoli, sweet potatoes or just about any frozen vegetable going, any of which would make for a much more nutritious side dish to my roast chicken."

BTW, the article was not anti-salad, not in the least. It was just exposing that it's not a super-food as many would have us think; and then you got the issue of calories, hence the point about foraging. (notice the simple ingredients that the article focused on, no where near the chef salad version).
    You might be interested in this:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...52011739091746

Have to subscribe for $12 bucks to see the story.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by susiecruise View Post
    So I can appreciate craving some french fries and possible a mostly meatless McD burger, but why whnever I pick up thru hikers, they ALWAYS want to go to McDonalds? We have so many good places to get a real burger and fresh vegetables and I'll offer to take them whereever but most are set on McDonalds, which by the way s not conviently located near the AT.
    Over 1300 miles under my belt and haven"t been to one yet.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Interesting article on a restaurant chain that is currently having a few issues.

Excerpt from 2-page article:

There's a regular newspaper column that includes items dubbed, "Why Do Bad Things Always Happen to Him?" — implying that unwelcome outcomes often result from flawed judgment rather than bad luck. That fits with what has been happening to restaurant chain Chipotle Mexican Grill.

Recent policy choices and operations have been so wrongheaded and fouled up that the company is facing lawsuits for false advertising, their food recently has sickened scores of customers across nine states, and the share price has plummeted.

The most recent Chipotle food poisoning outbreak is the fourth this year, one of which was not disclosed to the public. That goes beyond bad luck into the realm of negligence.

I confess to a certain degree of schadenfreude about Chipotle. Earlier this year, they claimed to have purged all their menu offerings of ingredients from "genetically modified organisms" at their more than 1,800 restaurants.

According to Steve Ells, founder and co-chief executive, "This is another step toward the visions we have of changing the way people think about and eat fast food."

If Chipotle had made good on that commitment, their menu would have been the strangest ever in an American restaurant.

For the primer on genetic modification that Mr. Ells and his colleagues desperately need, read on.

There is a seamless continuum of techniques for genetic modification of crops, animals and microorganisms that both predates and includes the advent of molecular techniques, which were invented during the 1970s. Farmers and plant breeders have been selecting and hybridizing plants to enhance their desirable characteristics for millennia.

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: http://news.investors.com/ibd-editor...#ixzz3tuzEJ9pY
    Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

...BTW, the article was not anti-salad, not in the least. It was just exposing that it's not a super-food as many would have us think...
    Really PF, the author and article isn't anti salad? Here's the suthors thoughts: "Salad vegetables are pitifully low in nutrition. The biggest thing wrong with salads is lettuce, and the biggest thing wrong with lettuce is that it’s a leafy-green waste of resources."

Sounds, obviously anti salad to me.

Please, tell us where you get the idea that salad is being advertised as a "super food" or defined as a "super food?"

There’s one food, though, that has almost nothing going for it. It occupies precious crop acreage, requires fossil fuels to be shipped, refrigerated, around the world, and adds nothing but crunch to the plate.

It’s salad.."

Sounds anti salad to me?

Also sounds very narrow minded pushed off in a blanket statement as "salad" can be MANY things to many people, NOT just the way the author defines salad. IMHO, a salad for MOST goes well beyond lettuce. Some lettuces are rather quite more nutritious than other varieties and salads can contain many varieties of very nutritious INEXPENSIVE greens and other inexpensive ingredients.

I also don't like the author putting himself on a nutritional pedestal, especially given his back round with zero nutritional education, as he's going to inform us as an expert on nutrition on what is nutritional most important while obviously leaving out other potentially great nutritional aspects of lettuces and greens.

Excerpt:
    "The corollary to the nutrition problem is the expense problem. The makings of a green salad — say, a head of lettuce, a cucumber and a bunch of radishes — cost about $3 at my supermarket. For that, I could buy more than two pounds of broccoli, sweet potatoes or just about any frozen vegetable going, any of which would make for a much more nutritious side dish to my roast chicken."

Way off base. Dead wrong! Good nutrition DOES NOT HAVE TO FOLLOW GREAT EXPENSE! Good healthy inexpensive to moderately inexpensive nutritious food choices have to be educated into the public's minds.

I find it obviously ironically biased and intellectually moronic the author will compare the expense of produce, AND BITCH ABOUT IT, yet not compare OR BITCH about the expense - the TRUE HIGH EXPENSE - which includes the large Federal subsidies, that we as tax payers, provide to the meat industries, TO LOWER THE COSTS, of things like poultry, when including "roasted chicken" as the central basis of his meal!

"The idea that animal products should form the basis of our diet has been scientifically debunked, but remains the social aspiration of billions of people." The author obviously hasn't yet realized this information or is ignoring it, possibly intentionally so.

"Why is chicken(and other meats - beef, pork, seafood, etc) so cheap/AS CHEAP AS THEY ARE or so it seems? In the nine years that followed the passage of the ‘96 Farm Bill, corn and soy were subsidized below the cost of production to make cheap animal feed. So, U.S. tax-payers effectively handed the chicken and pork industry around $10 billion dollars each"

I could go on especially with the next excerpt but it is obvious this author is stuck in a narrow minded scientifically outdated biased mindset that is pro meat, pro fast food, pro GMO, etc. I would strongly not be surprised if he's a shill for any of those industries in the Food Sector promoting such views.

Dogwood, Dogwood, Dogwood...my emotionally high-strung friend.

I wish you would learn to use the quote boxes more so I don't have to spend so much time going thru old posts attempting to decipher your very heart-felt ramblings. I just haven't had enough coffee to go thru all the stuff you threw at me this morning. However, I will address your anti-salad question.

The author wasn't being anti-salad, but I will say that there are times when there is a fine line between hate speech and the truth; she was just being truthful.

Go back and read the article, I know a salad can be many things, but she defined what salad ingredients she was referring to and showed how devoid of nutrition they are, especially compared to other things. Yes, you can add other things to your salad to fill, both your caloric and nutrition needs.

So the question becomes. Why should we be using all these resources (esp. land use and fossil fuels) to produce and transport these things that are mostly just crunchy water. That's just a common-sense question based in fact, but if you want to continue calling it anti-salad, then fine.

It's really no different, just a much larger scale, of hikers being concerned over food weight vs calories. Everyone want the least food weight with the most calories.

Try again to read the article with an open mind and not your typical defensive foodie posture https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...l?tid=pm_pop_b

Went to business school. Professor once said: "McDonalds makes crappy hamburgers, but they consistently make the SAME crappy hamburger time and time again, around the world every day."

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wet Foot View Post
    Went to business school. Professor once said: "McDonalds makes crappy hamburgers, but they consistently make the SAME crappy hamburger time and time again, around the world every day."
    Suspect that is why they are now having financial woes..not following the original business model that served them so well. A lot of long term franchisees are jumping ship now.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/22/inve...ings-problems/
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Not a big Mickey D's fan, although I can slam a couple of sausage egg mcmuffins every once in a while.

It's interesting that their menu is attacked for high fat, meaningless calories and generally unhealthy food. Anytime I've stopped by, the seating area is full of white hair retirees living off the dollar menu.

Conversely, there are literally hundreds of new burger places springing up on the Front Range, Five Guys, Larksburger, Smash Burger, Freddys. Generally a much younger, hipper crowd spending $6 to $8 per head. Same high fat, high starch, meaningless calories just a different approach to marketing.

Hey! Where is that kind of love when I get all emotionally high-strung?
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

When I smell shart it's shart. Two Pinochhios for the article.

LOL. If you TRULY? want to ask common-sense questions based in fact, NOT EMOTION, and we want to go in this direction of questioning using resources (esp. land use and fossil fuels) to produce and transport things like specific foods the HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP in wasting resources has to be the beef industry. Yet, it's being ignored by YOU and the author of the Washington Post article. It is further intellectually dishonest that YOU are even promoting beef, and the vast negative impact the beef industry has on land, water, and air without foremost mentioning this FACT when debating the wastefulness of resources.

Where I am indeed incorrect is implicating the Washington Post author as being pro meat, pro fast food, and pro GMO when it is YOU PF that has that agenda.

"... hikers being concerned over food weight vs calories. Everyone want the least food weight with the most calories."

How intimately involved are you in the LD hiking community to justify that comment? I would say I am very well connected to the LD hiking community in the U.S. and to a lesser extent the European and Australian hiking communities. These are well experienced regular LD hikers I'm referring to. Almost all are significantly advanced in UL knowledge and practice. I'll put my reputation on the line based on what I just said to submit quite a few of these hikers have educated themselves well beyond viewing their trail nutrition simplistically and solely in terms of most calories per pounce. While cal/oz ratios are significantly important to most of these consumable and kit wt conscious hikers they often have a broader perspective of nutritional requirements on the trail than just jamming whatever highest calorie foods into their bodies can be found. THEY ARE MORE SELECTIVE. Hikers in this category damn well know if it was just calories that optimally fueled their health and nutritional trail requirements we would observe them eating noting but fat. BUT, you don't see that! WHY? Because optimal health and trail nutrition is NOT is NOT just about getting the most calories!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Hey! Where is that kind of love when I get all emotionally high-strung?
    PF and myself are probably siblings unknowing separated at birth. He was likely often dropped on his head and left unattended to chew on lead painted window sills. He probably had to change his own soiled diaper.

Seriously, attempting to communicate on the internet in writing only omits so much agreement and cooperation PF and myself share. You'd never know it though based on what you read here.

Images

the GMO thing absolutely cracks me up. We've been genetically modifying the crap out of a huge portion of our food supply for millennia, but now that we're doing it significantly more scientifically, the Earth Muffins (pseudo-scientist media followers) have yet another thing to get worked up about. And all this is starting RIGHT WHEN our incredible scientists are finally making a huge dent in future world hunger issues with vastly increased crop yields. the mind absolutely BOGGLES.

By the way, again, what the heck is wrong with a McDoogle hamburger? Delicious. been eating them on a regular basis since I was like 6. Yummy. If you don't like them, fine, all a matter of opinion.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    the GMO thing absolutely cracks me up. We've been genetically modifying the crap out of a huge portion of our food supply for millennia, but now that we're doing it significantly more scientifically, the Earth Muffins (pseudo-scientist media followers) have yet another thing to get worked up about. And all this is starting RIGHT WHEN our incredible scientists are finally making a huge dent in future world hunger issues with vastly increased crop yields. the mind absolutely BOGGLES.

By the way, again, what the heck is wrong with a McDoogle hamburger? Delicious. been eating them on a regular basis since I was like 6. Yummy. If you don't like them, fine, all a matter of opinion.
    I partially agree with your comment, as I find the "ewww it's GMO" crowd laughable in may respects, however there is also very valid concern about so called "roundup ready" and similar GMO crops that have been designed to be resistant to (and therefore treated with) relatively high doses of pesticides. The fact that it's GMO doesn't concern me, but what is being sprayed on it does. I also wonder what long term impacts these increasingly used pesticides are causing for the environment and for the lifespan of the farm fields they are being sprayed on.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    And all this is starting RIGHT WHEN our incredible scientists are finally making a huge dent in future world hunger issues with vastly increased crop yields. the mind absolutely BOGGLES.
    Accessible Birth control and family planning are how scientists will finally put a huge dent in world hunger. Otherwise our species will just continue to follow our tried and true formula of: Increased population leads to increased hunger which leads to increased food which leads to increased population which leads to increased hunger.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

-

sounds inspired by the counter point lead in of SNL "point counter point"

Jane, you ignorant s**t

-

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Accessible Birth control and family planning are how scientists will finally put a huge dent in world hunger. Otherwise our species will just continue to follow our tried and true formula of: Increased population leads to increased hunger which leads to increased food which leads to increased population which leads to increased hunger.
    Holy thread drift batman

from eating micky d's ----------------------------to birth control, world population, GMO foods in 14 easy pages

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
++ New Posts ++