WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You look kind of shady yourself ITri like a blond ninja in training without her hat in your avatar. But, since you're wearing ArcTeryx I'll let ya slide..... for now.

When you hear whistles these days do you have flashbacks?

As a matter of fact Dogwood...I was sitting on the banks of the Little River at campsite 18 (in the GSMNP), when I heard a whistle from about 20 feet downstream. It was the exact same whistle! I refused to look and the guy whistled again. After the third time, I slowly got up and left. It's the only time I've ever been nervous about hiking alone in the Smokys. Now I carry my ninja blade wherever I go

ITri, don't be a Pavlov dog. Some day, that whistle may mean to get the hell off the train tracks or the dam's flood gates are about to be opened.

Images

The Aetherius Society

This group used to climb Mt Adams in the Whites every summer dressed in white or grey robes to commune with who knows what. They were featured in the Magazine Applachia (AMC) a few years ago. There used to be a set of symbols painted on a ledge at the summit of Adams, but it was removed a few years ago by persons unknown claiming it was graffiti.
    On their site: http://www.aetherius.org/pilgrimages-to-holy-mountains/ Pilgrimages to Holy Mountains, scroll down to New Hampshire and Mt Adams.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

CF97 > Everything Else.

Spent the night .6 off trail at a shelter with hiking partners. At 6am the next morning we awoke to SCREAMS off in the distance. We all quickly bolted up, couldn't figure where it was coming from. We drifted back to sleep and then Checker woke us up claiming, "They know I'm out here I'll sit down for the interview when I'm ready, damn it!"

We met back up with Checker in Waynesboro, VA and stayed the night with him at the YMCA (This was not our first choice). He went on and on about "the government" stealing his ideas and other crazy talk. I sat a few computers down from him at the Waynesboro Library as he was angerly typing away.

It didn't get strange until a month later when we found out he was arrested for threatening to kill the President, blow up local news stations and the White House. After he was arrested he delivered this bone chilling quote, "Sooner or later I will grab someone, maybe in the woods, on the trail, and beat the life out of them."

Check out this news story for more info.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Whoa... that's crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by fireneck View Post
    Spent the night .6 off trail at a shelter with hiking partners. At 6am the next morning we awoke to SCREAMS off in the distance. We all quickly bolted up, couldn't figure where it was coming from. We drifted back to sleep and then Checker woke us up claiming, "They know I'm out here I'll sit down for the interview when I'm ready, damn it!"

We met back up with Checker in Waynesboro, VA and stayed the night with him at the YMCA (This was not our first choice). He went on and on about "the government" stealing his ideas and other crazy talk. I sat a few computers down from him at the Waynesboro Library as he was angerly typing away.

It didn't get strange until a month later when we found out he was arrested for threatening to kill the President, blow up local news stations and the White House. After he was arrested he delivered this bone chilling quote, "Sooner or later I will grab someone, maybe in the woods, on the trail, and beat the life out of them."

yeah, he's done...never gettin out...just a guess tho.

We have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That is crazy...................

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Hiking in northern Michigan, just as the sun was setting and the trail was getting to dark to hike without a flashlight, miles from the nearest trail head,

I came around a corner in the trial and coming towards me was a line of people all in dark hooded robes with rope belts all carrying burning candles.

I stepped aside and they passed me one by one, no one looked at me, and I could not see their faces. None of them said a word.
    OMG! I would have freaked out if I was alone :-/

Sent from somewhere in the woods.

Had a few really weird things show up while in the Sipsey Wilderness, AL. Once we were hiking, in the spring time, WAY off trail and happened upon a "Christmas Tree" ornaments and all. I'm taking about in the middle of NOWHERE. Then on another trip, same wilderness, there was 18 Natural Light beers sitting all in a row, upright, on the trail?! On two other separate occasions we found (1) - a complete campsite set up that was still there UNTOUCHED at least a month later. We checked to make sure no one was in the tents. Every thing was totally water logged. (2) we found a slew of camping gear, tent, flashlight, mat, etc strewn all down a mtn side, way off trail. We really thought we were going to find a body at the bottom of the hill. So thankful that we didn't!

Sent from somewhere in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    If it's Shug, (this guy), he's a big name on Hammock Forums:

He is funny! And probably as tough as nails. He would be a fun guy to see on the trail.

Wonder how long it took to get him. With the current level of NSA survellance, it shouldn't have taken too long. I probably shouldn't have said that or even thought about it...they'll probably soon come for me. My hat? Where is my foil hat?

Here's a site with a photo of this wacked out dude. He's obviously showing signs of someone who has listened to way too much AM talk radio.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyMan View Post
    While I was camped by the Toccoa River bridge on the Benton Mackaye in October, soldiers from a nearby base started playing war games. Their leader was polite and alerted me before all the noise started.
    Hey wait a minute LuckyMan, that sounds familiar! I'm guessing that was a couple of days after we spotted the soldiers hiding near hawk mountain shelter? How was the rest of your BMT trip?

The soldiers hiding around hawk Mtn shelter weren't the only military run-ins we had either. The next morning we found a bunch of empty cardboard ammo boxes in a fire ring, all the boxes were for 5.56x45 (M-16) blanks. The night after this we were camped trail side when we were lulled to sleep by a Squad automatic weapon shooting off 1-2 second bursts of suppressing fire.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 12-15-2013 at 01:51.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    Here's a site with a photo of this wacked out dude. He's obviously showing signs of someone who has listened to way too much AM talk radio.

Great...I clicked on that link at the same time that I was doing a google search to double check the size ammo an M-16 takes (for my previous post.) Who knows what kind of list tht just got me added onto.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Checker seemed OK in 2011 when I hiked part of New Jersey with him. I looked at the picture I took and it was definately Chris Hecker.

The "Checker" story saddens me to no end. I spent a good deal of time with him on my '11 thru, pretty much rolled with him from NOC to Damascus- he split all his food with me leaving Gatlinburg because I forgot to resupply. I later ran into him near Hanover and we hiked together into the Whites until Hurricane Irene forced us to hole up in Lincoln, at Chet's, for four days; that was about 3 days too long for him and he developed pretty severe cabin fever and said some pretty scary things. He is very intelligent and kind, and also very troubled. I, and several others on the AT, got to know a side of him that is not expressed in this news story, and really serves to underscore the need to better address mental health issues in our society.

Default Strange sounds in the night

I took my bride, who had never backpacked before, on a pair of 2-3 night trips in Rocky Mountain Nat Park, CO, on our honeymoon in 1978. Incredibly, we're still married now, 172 years later. Anyway, on our first night out, after driving from Charlottesville, VA to Estes Park, CO in a Honda Civic, snagging our backcountry permits, and hitting the trail with ZERO acclimation, we were enjoying the twilight around the trusty old Svea, when a loud, strange noise emanated from the meadow around 100 yds down the trail. The noise was repeated several times over the ensuing half-hour. It sounded like a really loud flute/recorder and we never saw what was making it. My bride was really questioning our (my) sanity for being there, as I hadn't a clue what it was, either. It was late September and we subsequently learned about the bugling of bull elk during the fall mating season.

Decades later, I was car-camping at Oconee State Park, SC while on a rafting trip on the Chatooga River. It was a group of a dozen guys around my age, with Tim being the senior and about 10 years older than me. Well after dark, after enjoying a goodly number of frosty adult beverages around the campfire, we suddenly heard HEAVY automatic weapons fire erupt in the near distance. There were multiple bursts of small arms fire after that, then more heavy weapons. After a few minutes of collective "WTH?", we heard Tim's voice coming from down an embankment beyond the campfire. "That was Ma Deuce, some M-60s, and about a dozen M-16s". Tim said this as he returned to the campfire from down the hill, where he had instinctively dived for cover when the shooting started. The firing was blanks, of course, courtesy of military training under way in the Nat Forest lands surrounding the State Park. Many of the group did not previously realize Tim was a 2-tour Vietnam veteran who served as an artillery forward observer. The man knew his automatic weapons, and he knew what to do when the shooting started.

AO

I ran into a guy at a shelter in PA who was in the middle of what I'd guess was a noro or giardia attack, was squatting at the treeline of the clearing with it coming out of both ends. I lost my stomach seeing that but luckily we found him a hostel nearby who took care of him.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

Images

Were you in the Keweenaw by any chance? There is a monastery near Eagle River. Don't know if they go on night hikes but they make some excellent thimbleberry jam. And you could get a buzz eating a slice of their abbey cake.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Hiking in northern Michigan, just as the sun was setting and the trail was getting to dark to hike without a flashlight, miles from the nearest trail head,

I came around a corner in the trial and coming towards me was a line of people all in dark hooded robes with rope belts all carrying burning candles.

I stepped aside and they passed me one by one, no one looked at me, and I could not see their faces. None of them said a word.
    Sorry, meant to add this quote.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++