WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Harpers Ferry Dec. Events: Open House 12/7 & Parade 12/14

We have two fun events coming up in Harpers Ferry in December:

ATC Holiday Open House - Saturday, December 7
    9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
    We'll have homemade cookies, cider, and coffee. Brian King will sign his book The A.T.: Celebrating America's Hiking Trail from 10-12 and 1-3. (The book won yet another award a few weeks ago, the 2013 National Outdoor Book Award winner for Design and Artistic Merit.) Our new executive director Ron Tipton (GA-ME '78) will be on hand to meet folks from 1 to 3. At 2 we'll raffle Gregory backpack and Leki Trekking Poles for kids. Volunteer "Judo" GA-ME '07 designed some special A.T. wrapping paper and will wrap packages for a donation. More information at www.appalachiantrail.org/eventsrail.org/events.

Harpers Ferry Christmas Parade - Saturday, December 14
    Meet at ATC at 1:30 p.m.
    So far we have 7 people and 1 dog signed up for the A.T. contingent. One person is wearing the official ATC "Crumbsnatcher" mouse suit. The parade is organized by the Friendship Fire Company. We want to show our community support and raise the profile of the A.T. Parking is very limited at the parade start, so we'll organize shuttles from ATC to the start. The parade route is 1 mile from the Jefferson County Tourist Information Center to Union St.; then it's another 0.2 back up the hill to ATC. The parade is scheduled to start at 2:30 p.m.

If you'd like to participate, email me at [email protected]. After December 10, I'll be out of town and Kathy "Katydid" Winters will be the primary contact. Best to call (304) 535-6331 and talk to her or Dave T. ("Pop Tart").

Plan to wear something colorful and festive with an A.T. theme. Wear warm clothing because you'll be standing around outside for a while, and then walking not very fast.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Any Whiteblazers coming to the Open House or walking in the parade?

Default Wolf at Open House Saturday

"Wolf" (that's Keith K., the one featured in the Lightweight Backpacking video by Lynne Wheldon) will be at ATC Saturday, volunteering for our holiday open house. He's hoping some people will come and want to talk trail, so he doesn't get stuck with the "refilling cider urn and refreshing the cookie tray" job. He's hiked the A.T. 4 or 5 times, and this past summer went to Denali.

Laurie P.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Hi Laurie - I've gotta check with my sweet wife and make sure we're clear. Otherwise, I think we can make it. That would be 6 hikers and 1 trail dog. We've got all our ATC gear and equipment we can wear. Not sure about this week's open house, though. I have a church meeting in the morning and a holiday party in the evening, plus a meal packaging event at 9:00 to feed the hungry. Man December is busy!! We LOVE the open house so we'll be sorry to miss it (if we do).
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Farmer Chef, great to hear you and family/friends will (hopefully) be able to add to the ATC contingent for the Harpers Ferry Christmas parade! Carlen Immanual, our Land Protection Manager, has volunteered to organize the ATC contingent. She participated last year--she's the shortest female in the picture with the banner, in the middle. Kathy "Katydid" Winters will still be helping organize things.

Sounds like you are super busy--we'll miss you if you don't make the Open House but will understand!

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Laurie, where can we find the photo of Katydid and the banner?

The parade sounds like fun and hopefully would lead us to the Center to purchase lots of Christmas gifts.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Kinnickinic, the Harpers Ferry Christmas parade photo from last year is attached a jpg in the first post, and I've attempted to attach it again. If that doesn't work, you can find it in my uploaded photos.

Carlen (the shortest one in the middle) is the lead in the parade, but Katydid is still participating.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Kinnickinic, the Harpers Ferry Christmas parade photo from last year is attached a jpg in the first post, and I've attempted to attach it again. If that doesn't work, you can find it in my uploaded photos.

Carlen (the shortest one in the middle) is the lead in the parade, but Katydid is still participating.
    That photo was really bugging me, Laurie. I just couldn't quite place where it was taken. Then it occurred to me. Was this taken from the building across from the entrance to the park? It looks like it in the background with the pipestem style drive up to it and the gap in the background.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Right on the nose, Farmer Chef! The photo was taken behind the local WV Tourist information center, near the stoplight, with "The Gap" in the background.

Many people have been in Harpers Ferry, but very few have been in that exact spot.

Default HF National Historical Park events this weekend

For those interested in our nation's history, Harpers Ferry National Historical Park will be holding their own events this weekend. From the press release:

On December 7-8, 2013, Harpers Ferry National Historical Park will present “Captain Flagg’ s 1864 US Quartermaster City.”

Through this annual 1864 Yuletide event, the park invites visitors to reflect on what the Civil War would ultimately determine: the Union of the States, and eventual freedom of 4 million enslaved people.

For many citizens and soldiers, Harpers Ferry was both a home and military post. To represent Capt. Flagg’s Quartermaster city, Harpers Ferry will be depicted as a Union garrisoned town during the Christmas season of 1864. The town is under federal occupation, and the American flag that flies over this national park flew here 149 years ago. For several months, Harpers Ferry had been the staging area for Union operations in the Shenandoah Valley-- successful operations that brought the inevitable end of the conflict ever closer. Troops and supplies steadily poured south from the Ferry by rail and wagon train. Over 60,000 federal soldiers and all their gear passed through into the Shenandoah Valley. Those same means of transportation brought back a steady stream of wounded soldiers, prisoners, and the dead. Buildings at Harpers Ferry that were not used to house supplies were occupied by hospitals, the Christian Commission, and the Sanitary Commission. These organizations provided charity, aid, and comfort to soldiers spending another Christmas far from home.

On the home front, the Christmas spirit was tempered by concern for the safety of loved ones far from home and deployed in harm’s way. Hopes and prayers were that Santa Claus would visit every home, but that a notice of sad tidings from the battlefield would not. The spirit of Christmas , and the spirits of hope, charity and joy were muted, overshadowed by the clouds of war, and an occupying army in the field.

A special workshop, “While Visions of Sugar Plums Danced in Their Heads” will be offered from 11am - 1 pm and again from 2 pm -4 pm during both days of the event. Join Carol Anderson, Historic Foodways & 19th Century Confections Expert to learn the art and mystery of the Confectioner’s Yuletide trade and treats while exploring the world of sugar work. Cost for this workshop is $20 per person (in addition to park entrance fee) and pre-registration is required along with payment at 304-535-1523. You can also register online at http://harpersferryhistory.pinnaclec...ory-workshops/.

Captain Flagg’s 1864 US Quartermaster City programs will run from 11 am - 6 pm on Saturday, and 11 am - 4 pm on Sunday.

Park entrance fee: $10 per private automobile or motorcycle. (The park pass is good for three consecutive days.) Children 15 and under admitted free. For additional information, contact the Information Center at 304-535-6029.

A schedule of events follows.

Saturday, December 7, 2013

11am-6 pm
    Historic exhibits open

11am - 1pm & 2pm - 4pm. “While Visions of Sugar Plums Danced in Their Heads”
    Join Carol Anderson, Historic Foodways & 19th Century Confections Expert to learn the art and mystery of the Confectioner’s Yuletide trade and treats while exploring the world of sugar work. Pre-registration and $20 per-person payment required at 304-535-1523 or online at http://harpersferryhistory.pinnaclec...ory-workshops/

11‐3 “Decking the Halls: Ornaments for the Tree”
    Make and take a 19th century style ornament. Lyceum Tent,Arsenal Square.

12‐1 “Ho For Christmas”
    Join carolers Home Front musical performance in the Lyceum Tent, Arsenal Square.

1‐4 “Captain Flagg’s US Quarter Master City”: A Ranger Guided Horse and Wagon Tour Experience the military and civilian workers who transformed the town into a successful war machine.
    Sign up & reserve your free ticket at the Soldiers Rest exhibit on Potomac Street.

1 pm “Mail Call: Packages From Home”
    Witness local citizens and soldiers gathering to receive their censored mail from the US Provost Marshal’s office. Lyceum Tent on Arsenal Square.

2 pm “Caught Yesterday, French Bill, Notorious Murderer and Bushwhacker”
    Follow the Provost Marshal as he deals with the crime and punishment of a well‐known deserter. Includes weapons firing demonstration. Lyceum Tent, Arsenal Square

3 pm “Feeding the War Machine: Soft Bread for Sheridan’s Army”
    See how 5,000 loaves of bread were made and baked in brick ovens. Meet at the large brick oven in backyard of Soldiers Rest Potomac Street.

3‐5 pm “A Grand Military and Citizen’s Ball”
    Join the 34th Massachusetts Officers and their wives as they host a Victorian Dance. Dance instruction by Victorian Dance Ensemble; period dance music by Wheaton’s Parlor Orchestra. Lyceum Tent Arsenal Square.

5 pm “Emerging from the Darkness: Christmas In the Depth of War”
    A Living History Lantern Light evening program. Join Ranger John Rudy at the Lyceum Tent, Arsenal Square. Pre‐ Register at the park information center at 304‐535‐6029.

9:30pm Last park shuttle
    Last park shuttle departs the lower town for Cavalier Heights entrance station parking.

The full press release and the schedule of about Sunday's events can be found at at www.nps.gov/hafe/parknews/newsreleases.htm.

We have free parking at ATC, and it's half a mile walk to downtown Harpers Ferry via Washington/High Street, about 1 mile via the blue-blazed side Trail and the A.T. Our parking lot will fill up early on S Saturday, but we can direct you to street parking nearby. The Independent Order of Odd Fellows also has offered their yard for parking tomorrow. They have asked that people park close to their yellow building, look for the areas where there is more gravel underneath. The strip of grass between the driveway and Storer College Place where the Civil War cannon is location is Harpers Ferry National Historical Park property--no parking there.

We just got the 2014 A.T. Data Book in house (the 36th edition). It is now available from the visitor center! It has a beautiful cover, and the new official mileage for the A.T. for 2014.

Sounds like a wonderful time! I'll get up there one of these years.

Default Christmas Parade Cancelled

Due to projected inclement weather, the Harpers Ferry Christmas parade will be cancelled. This just came from Chris Higdon, president of the Friendship Fire Company, who is organizing the event:

The Parade…Unfortunately and regrettably, we will be cancelling the parade on Saturday. The weather is not a good mix for marching bands, floats, Santa, or the onlookers. First time this has happened to us…so dare I complain.

++ New Posts ++