WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

JessNicole3608

Women Solo Hiking

Rate this Entry
I want to take a week and hike the rest of the GA section, but would be going alone. Have any ladies had issues hiking/hitchhiking alone in that area? I would be starting at Neel's Gap and going however far my legs will take me for 6-7 days.
Tags: 1'", 1ˤˢ Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I'm contemplating a solo journey through GA soon as well. Did you end up heading out? How was the experience going alone? As a woman, I just wonder what I need to think about or expect when not hiking with large numbers of people as one might during thru hiker season.
    Quote Originally Posted by brewcrew1514
    I'm contemplating a solo journey through GA soon as well. Did you end up heading out? How was the experience going alone? As a woman, I just wonder what I need to think about or expect when not hiking with large numbers of people as one might during thru hiker season.
    I did! It didn't go QUITE as expected but it was still a great time as always. I started at Neel's Gap and slept at the shelter that's really far off the trail (Whitley Gap I believe). I saw a bear on the way up so that was exciting/terrifying! The woods were so quiet, I think I saw one other person that whole day. I was the only one at the shelter which was a little spooky. Turns out.. I'm not a big fan of camping alone! I LOVE hiking by myself but nah... I got a shuttle from Hogpen that next morning back to Neel's Gap where I stayed that night and just relaxed in hopes of meeting someone to hike with the for the next couple of days. That worked! I met an awesome brother/sister duo from Jacksonville and a couple from Scotland! We all hung out and had a zero day in Helen. The next day I hiked to Low Gap Shelter from Hogpen (went and explored Dahlonega while they hiked Neel to Hogpen). Stayed one night there which was nice. It had a creek that ran right in front of the shelter where we found crawfish, snails, and salamanders. My bf (now husband) showed up the next morning so I went back to Hogpen, met him, drove to Unicoi and we spent the next couple of days hiking to Dick's Creek Gap.

All of that to say yes, I did go, but only spent one night on my own! I'm a baby. It was a random day during the week so I didn't see many people but if you get lonely, it's not hard to find someone to hike with once you're out there. Especially if you go to a hiker hostel!