WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

aztarheel

Grand Teton National Park

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
All of my hiking experience has been on the AT, Kentucky, TN or Georgia. I decided today that I need to broaden my experience level to the west. I know nothing about it, but I know I have all the gear needed to do a trip to Grand Teton National Park.

If folks could ramble about anything from what time of year is best, to do you need a down puffy year round, a thick down or light down?

Tarptent Strato2 appropriate or do I need the Hilleberg with guy lines?

Daily mileages compared to enjoying 15-20 mile days on the AT?

Bear awareness, canisters (required or recommended)?

I am looking at the Grand Teton Crest Trail, I think it is 40 miles? but I would probably try and find a 20 mile loop to add to that The landscape looks like something you could most definitely do 8 miles a day and enjoy the views.

Just looking for an abundance of knowledge to educate myself

GOOD for you. Many ways to add on 20-60 miles to a Teton Crest Tr hike. You're in the midst of not only Grand Teton NP but also near Wind River Range, Yellowstone NP, Gros Venture Wilderness, Caribou-Targhee Nat Forest, etc. There are different ways to get up to the crest too, some requiring an additional 10 miles or so or maybe even none at all if you get up to the crest by taking the tram from Jackson Hole. So lots of ways to design your specific distance desired to hike. As Francis Tapon "The Onion" inspired me I too chose to add a Grand Teton NP onto a CDT SOBO thru. It's not difficult hiking from say Yellowstone NP around Shoshone Lake down the Bechler River TR(Lots of neet waterfalls, hot soaks) to Grassy Lake Rd(stopping by Union Falls, Y NP's highest waterfall) to get a canister a Flagg Ranch and picking up the Teton Crest Tr from the north side by hiking through Caribou Targhee Nat Forest to attain the crest.

Here's a map of the Teton Crest Trail system within GT NP. http://overlandundersea.com/travel-b...n-crest-trail/

Yes, can needed for the TCT. Remember this is Grizz country too. Cans can be rented at other GT NP Backcountry Offices( Jenny Lake, etc)

The Teton Crest Trail is alpine country meaning unpredictable weather. It has snowed on me in August.

I've pulled walk up permits for the Teton Crest Tr in late July and mid Aug(BUSY season) from Jenny Lake with little fanfare so don't let the naysayers say it's crowded or hard to get permits particularly if you're amendable to various campsite scenarios and adjusting your most desired agenda. Should go without saying but getting permits for the TCT should be approached by you having various alternate scenarios already researched BEFORE heading to get the permit.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized