WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Sailor Pete

Day 13 Franklin, NC Very nice Hiker friendly town!

Rate this Entry
Day 13 on the AT mile 109. AT&T connectivity has been very poor in the mountains, I will get these out as I can.

After a lovely stay in a hotel and a huge T-bone steak for dinner in Haiwasse with Stephanie, I was back on trail early Saturday morning. With new insoles in my boots I finally had some relief for my blisters and managed a 12 mile day. By afternoon the weather started to change with showers as I hiked into the clouds. By afternoon I'd reached the northern border of Georgia and crossed into North Carolina. One state down many to go.

There are a couple of photos taken at Bly Gap of an old oft photographed tree sitting on the trail, if you look closely, you can see the AT white blaze painted on it. These marks are what guide me on trail.

It started raining at sunset and rained through the night. I was warm and dry in tent. Next morning, we were still in the clouds with occasional showers. It was wet and slippery on the trail, with no views. Coming downhill into Rock Gap feeling a bit cold, wet, etc., I planned to stop an make a cup of coffee. Instead at the Gap trail magic struck again and I walked out of clouds and into the 16th annual Rock Gap Hiker Easter Omelet breakfast ! I as overwhelmed, as they handed me a menu to select my made to order omelet, plus they had a menu for sandwiches and fresh fruit to take with us for lunch. Just very nice people who spent a rainy holiday weekend to bring some cheer to us thru hikers. Even with the stop for a huge breakfast I manager 12.5 miles.

The sunrise on Monday and greeted us with cooler temps and wind as we started for Mt Albert. The fire tower at the top of the 5250' mountain is another AT icon and mark the 100 mile point on the trail. The last 300' to the is very steep, but the view from the top was fantastic. I was glad the storm had passed and it was a clear day.

After three nights on the trail, I arrived in Franklin, NC for a restock, hotel and for replacement gear from REI. Both my backpack and boots are giving me issues so I arranged for an express mail delivery on Friday with REI, unfortunately the items did't get shipped until Monday. So I have to take my first zero day. In theory, it will be here by 3 today, then I'll be back on the trail tomorrow morning in time for the next cold front.

On bright side, I'm feeling stronger on the trail and enjoying the all the people I'm meeting. Last night a group of us hungry hikers had dinner at a Chinese Buffet restaurant... I think they lost money on us.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	34350   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	520 
Size:	923.0 KB 
ID:	34351   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	553 
Size:	936.3 KB 
ID:	34352   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	34353  
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized