WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

CedarKeyHiker

Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key 16

Rate this Entry
Alea iacta est "The die is cast" - Julius Caesar

There is a point in every endeavor when the abstract gives way to reality. That point where you have to "put your money where your mouth is." I reached that point last Friday when I began making travel plans for Calamity Jan to meet me on the Trail.

The only way to make it work is for her to fly to the closest airport then drive to predetermined points on predetermined dates. It's a logistical conundrum not unlike trying to rendezvous at a mail drop. Anyway, with non refundable flights in the balance, I've got to be high steppin' to be where I need to be.

The whole complexion of the journey has taken on a different tone. It's very real and has more of a feeling of inevitability and is less an attempt to fulfill a dream. There's no doubt I will be stepping off on April 3rd barring some unforeseen event or circumstance. That wasn't the case a week ago. The die is cast...I've got to haul my bacon on down the Trail so I can keep in touch with my heart. The goal of reaching the end of the Trail is far less important than making it to the next place I can see that beautiful, happy face...

Updated 02-15-2016 at 10:00 by CedarKeyHiker

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments