WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

32ozgatorade

New Book: Colorado Trail Thru-hike

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
Cookerhiker, I'm curious whether you would choose to take a zero day in Silverton again or maybe zero in one of the other towns instead. I'm currently planning to take a zero day in Breckenridge, Salida, and Lake City. I've been planning to send a resupply package to the Molas Lake Campground but since Silverton is supposed to be an easy hitch maybe it is worth spending a night there or even taking a zero day if it looks like I'm running ahead of schedule. I definitely want to avoid spending more than one night in Durango before my scheduled flight because there seem to be few cheap lodging options in Durango especially since I'll be there at the start of Labor Day weekend.
Were I doing the hike again, I'd likely take the 2 zeros in the same 2 locales: Salida and Silverton. Both were cool towns with hostels and a good selection of restaurants. Salida is the nearest town to the CT's halfway point and a logical place for a zero. Silverton was a welcome respite after extensive high elevation up and down. You're right about Silverton being an easy hitch (which you've seen if you've gotten to page 159).

Another consideration is neros vs zeros. Our pace and camping locations were not conducive to a nero in Silverton but they were for neros in Breckenridge, Leadville and Creede. With a nero, you just hike a few miles and have sufficient time to shop, shower, do laundry, and rest.

Since you're into my book, you've already seen that I was pretty down on Buffalo Creek as a resupply stop. I would definitely not stop there again. At the time, we wanted to start with light packs and only a few days worth of meals, so we chose to resupply at both Buffalo Creek and Jefferson.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized