WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Alpine Bomber

It's raining and nasty here in Gatlinburg

Rate this Entry
Hitched into Gatlinburg yesterday after a beautiful sunset summit of clingman's dome the night before. The plan was to not stay in town today but the boardwalk-esque tourist trap ensnared us. We're sucking it up and hiking out tonight the three miles to the first shelter in the rain and possibly snow tonight. Here's to hoping the shelter isnt too full and we don't have to set up camp in the rain. Three nights from now I'

ll be in a hostel (so long as they don't have the plague there) and then hot springs after that. Unfortunately, the trail journals and gossip all seem to indicate that Norovirus has pread from Irwin all the way to Neels Gap, so I'm right in the center of it. I haven't seen anyone sick yet, but I'm terrified. I got it last year up in Bethel, Maine, and it was miserable enough that part of me wants to just hide in a hole until everyone is feeling better again. The most extraordinary news I've gotten recently is that a girlfriend of mine just got married, and another friend made it safely back stateside after an entirely too lengthy deployement. Not much else going on here. Hiding from the plague, enjoying the company of fellow hikers (we're all waiting out rain at the same motel here in Gatlinburg), and trying to convince my body and brain that I'm strong enopugh to start doing 20s. I'lllet you all kow how that last one goes...
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized