WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

smsinnh

4/1 Standing Bear Farm to Lemon Gap

Rate this Entry
April 1st: Standing Bear Farm to Lemon Gap 18.7 miles. 259.5 hiked so far, 1926.6 to go.
Jan and I had a great time in Hot Springs and after a hot breakfast at the local diner, Jan dropped me off at Davenport Gap on her way to the airport so I can do trail from Davenport gap back to Hot Springs. After another bittersweet goodbye, I made my way up the trail. The first 4 miles was a 2500 ft climb to the summit of Snowbird Mt. For the 1st time since leaving Springer Mt on March 4th, I was able to begin the day in short sleeves. Even the song birds, which have been conspicuously quiet seemed to be heralding the belated start of Spring.
One of the highlights of my day was Max Patch Summit. It is a huge bald which is basically open pasture on top of a mountain. The views of the farmland below was beyond beautiful (Got some great pics which I can't wait to post) On the way down from the bald, the trail cut through fields, a first on the AT, and several mountain streams. Because I got hung up on all the views and lost track of time, I ended up having to go off trail to set up camp. Found a nice mountain stream [the sound of running water draws me in every time] that offered level ground and relaxing sound effects. Overall another great day. Temps seemed more seasonable and I didn't encounter any snow. All of the locals I have talked to have told me they can't remember this much cold, snow and ice and although I am happy to have the worst of it behind me, I wouldn't change a thing. So far I have been able to manage through it all and I am pleased that it is all a part of my AT adventure.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

It is 60 in Iowa today and Im sure the nice weather is coming you way

Take Care