WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Alpine Bomber

I'm awake way too late to be summiting tomorrow.

Rate this Entry
I can't believe I'm summiting Springer in the morning. I guess for most NOBOs it's exciting because it means they're actually starting their trip. For me, it's not only the beginning to another journey, but also a goal i walked towards for 648 miles last year. It wont be under the circumstances I had dreamed of last summer, but it's certainly still monumental for me.

My mom and I drove down from D.C. today, and I talked her into summiting with me, which cements the fact that I wont be doing the approach trail. Last summer my dad and one of my cousins summited Katahdin with me, so it's pretty cool that my mom will be with me for the other end. She's pretty freaked about the weather, so she wants to stick around in town another night just in case I need a rescue. Translation, my mom is slacking me tomorrow. Unfortunately with my couch-to-trail physique/endurance, I'm not totally sure where to have her pick me up. I'm aiming for 12 miles I think? Either way, I have a phenomenal mother (and you know she's great because I can say that even after spending 10 hours in car with her... always a tense situation).

Other notable moments of the day:
  • I had to say goodbye to my puppy. I think I understand how parents feel when they send their kid off to college. Except maybe worse because he was so clearly upset about it. Yeah, I cried. And he's growing up so fast. He started his first bag of Adult dog food this week. No longer technically a puppy. I miss him already.
  • We drove past a store names "Ingles," and they had 3 giant signs on the store that said "American Owned." I guess they really didn't think that name through...
  • I taught my mom how to use an ipod classic. She has an iphone. I really hadn't considered how different that technology is.
  • Got to hang out with Alex this morning. I thought he was still in Utah. I'm glad I got to say a proper goodbye.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Do that incredible mom of yours proud....have a fun and safe hike!
    Your Ingles comment cracked me up. They're all over the place down here. Good luck with your summit
    Liked the Ingles crack they're like two within five minutes of my house down here. Stay safe and enjoy the Georgia weather. Different on one side of the hill to the next.