WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Alpine Bomber

Springer on the 27th.

Rate this Entry
Eight days ago my mom told me that either I have a job by the 27th, or I take her credit card, get the gear I need to replace the things that broke last year and be on the Appalachian Trail by then. So, completely unexpectedly, I find myself running around like a chicken with its head cut off (much like last year) trying to get everything set up for me to be able to leave my entire life (even my name) behind for 6 more months, all within 10 days. It痴 surprisingly easier to say goodbye this year. I guess I致e had one foot on the trail all winter, just missing the utopia that the trail can be if you let it. I couldn't seem to shake the uneasy feeling of a job left unfinished.
It痴 going to be a completely different experience this year, and I知 beyond ready to hit the mountain running. I値l be hiking alone this year, but surrounded by people because I知 going northbound. Last summer I southbounded with Deadfall and my puppy. Instead of tenting I値l be hammocking, and good thing, too, considering I知 supposed to expect to see at least 30 people every day in the beginning as a nobo. I知 not sure I can even name 30 sobos from last year. Last year I had all the wrong gear and almost no hiking experience. This year I知 going to be somewhat of a veteran- what Speed Demon and Trainwreck were to me and Deadfall last year- handing out tips about mayo and peanut butter in Rice Sides and snagging work-for-stays. I知 actually going to journal this year too. I bought a voice recorder so I can journal while I hike instead of pretending I値l have the energy to do anything except cook and sleep when I get to camp. I know what to expect this year, and I know what I知 doing. I have all the right gear this time. Same trail, different world.
Anyway, I知 starting at Springer, heading north to Vermont, and then where the LT and the AT split, I知 say some goodbyes and take the LT up to Canada. I値l have completed my section hike of the AT, and thru-hiked the LT. Time/weather permitting I値l hitch over to Katahdin and conquer the mountain that I barely summited last summer, and either flip-flop thru-hike or then hitch down to the Notch and just play there for a day. I知 hoping Deadfall will come up for Katahdin and the Notch. We both felt that we didn稚 own those two sections the first time around. He痴 drove up from richmond to say goodbye a few days ago. The bad goodbyes are all over except worst of all, my dog. He痴 staying with my parents this time around. I知 going to miss the **** out of that dog, but this is something I need to do for myself, and it痴 not going to happen if I bring him.

Today is my last day to get everything set. It's down to the nitty gritty: making some treats to go in the 5 mail drops I had time to plan, locating that missing camera battery in my room, some last minute modifications of my hammock, cleaning the jet boil one more time, typing up a gear list for some interested tumblr followers, stocking the ipod with new music, and re-learning to organize my pack with a hammock instead of a tent. Oh, and buying food for the first leg of the trip. I leave at 7 AM tomorrow to drive to Georgia. See y'all on the trail!
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good luck, will be reading your journals! Wicked
    Now THAT's a MOM! Best of luck on the trail!