WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

KingGator and Sons

Appalachian Trail Journal Entry #6 – Weight Loss / Health

Rate this Entry
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	270554_126449444172981_1090295418_n.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	19755

In my last journal entry,I ranted about some of the negative comments out there so far. Well,let me go ahead and speak a little bit more about my health and size.Before I do however, let me say the following: I am not scared ofthis trail and WILL NOT QUIT! Blind people and cancer patients havewalked this trail, so I am not going to let something small like alittle fat stop me because things are “uncomfortable”. With allof that being said, I will speak openly and honestly about my health,size, and how I think this trail will help or hurt me as a whole.

Now, in terms of size, Iam 6 foot tall and 265lbs. The truth is that I am perfectly awarethat this is fat. I am perfectly aware that this is much fatter thanI want to be. However, this has not stopped me from training andfighting mixed martial arts before and it will NOT stop me fromhiking the Appalachian Trail. Do I have time to lose the weightbefore the trail? No, I do not. I do NOT want to wait another yeareither, because chances are, I still won't lose the weight. I needsomething extreme and this is it. I have watched plenty of “fat”people walk the trail on youtube. Plenty of people have told me thatit is possible as well. To be honest, I do think I will finish and Ido think it will take 50-80lbs of my weight away.

Now, my weight is frombeer, not eating, so eating little will be no problem. I have doneprison time before and if you ever have done the same, then you knowhow VERY LITTLE you get to eat in there. I typically only eat onetime per day in my regular life. In terms of mentally dealing with“doing without”, that is not a problem for me. I am from veryurban areas in life, so doing without and having nothing is nothingnew to me to keep it real.

Now, in terms ofinexperience, that is the only thing that concerns me in terms ofhealth. I worry about whether I will make a deadly or horriblemistake on the trail. There is no way to really practice for this inadvance for me. I have no choice but to learn as I go.

Now, I know I may need toquit smoking. I am quitting smoking on March 1, 2013 hopefully forthe rest of my life. I have heard some people say that this isn't thebest time to quit, because having that “release” may bebeneficial to me on the trail since I already smoke. I am not so sureabout that one. I think the possibility of getting down to 200lbs andquitting smoking is something that I have dreamed about. I trulybelieve that the trail can do it for me.

I have beat being shot...Ihave beat being stabbed....I have beaten Staph Infections...Somethingtells me that I will survive “hiking fat”. I am slightlyconcerned, but I refuse to let this stop me. If I let this stop menow, it will stop me forever. If it stops me with the AT, it willstop me with everything else in life. The truth is that I am the mostmentally strong person that I know....I am an ALPHA. This will be nodifferent.

Don't get me wrong, I amnot a know it all. I do want advice. I do NEED advice.

I look forward to thischallenge!

KING

Comments

You can do it! You have a good attitude! If we all gave up because of our short fallings no one would be on the trail. Take care and good luck!! Wicked
    Thank you VERY MUCH Linder...I really appreciate it!
    Hey, I applaud people trying to lose weight. It is hard! Sounds to me like your boys are in for a blast. Speaking of smoking and hiking, I saw an AT DVD where these two brothers got ALL their gear from Marlboro cigarette company (or maybe Camel), and they were serious hikers. The one guy was hilarious about how many cigarettes he had to smoke to get the gear. (But I do hope you can quit....it will make the hiking more fun).
    Thanks Steve. I appreciate the support~! Yea, I do think the boys will have a ball. I do think I will lose weight and I know that smoking has to go. I have been waiting for the perfect motivation to stop smoking. For some reason, death wasn't enough. It took the Appalachian Trail idea.
    Good luck on your journey and your weight loss! I'm 6' and was 283 Jan 1st I'm now down to 257. Unfortunately I'm not planning a thru hike because of the time and money but would love to. Size doesn't stop me from doing section hiking and hiking locally. Keep with your plan and keep us informed! Happy hiking!!