WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

AAhiker

Ahhhh!!!

Rate this Entry
Alright, so this happens every year, well for the past two years and this year is even worse. I am hitting the trail in 2015 but every year I start looking at trailjournal.com around this time. Since I set my start date last fall I have been aquiring things and thinking about the A.T. even more. But holy crap!!! I have never been this impatient. I feel like I am going to explode every time I read a new journal entry. I want to go this year soooo so very badly. I can't because I don't have things prepared and I don't have the fundage but still. It's like... "my mind is telling me no, but my body!!!! my body's tellin me yes!!! Every time I step on the trail now, where ever I go I can't help thinking I never want to turn around. By body I think, is in permanent survival mode. At work I am tired and sedentary, then i go home by body wakes up so I can run with the dogs and work out, shower, eat and then I am relaxed and even a little sleepy again already. When hiking, my body just finds the energy. Not a lot of it at times. I will admit that. And there have definately been days where I like sleep more than I like dinner even though I know I burnt a ton of calories. But never have I woken up the next day with a whole day of hiking in front of me and though "Man I don't' want to do this today". Never, not once. There was a hike once where I ended up pushing too far, got stopped by an un-fordable river wore the wrong boots, and forgot to cut my toenails( a month later my toenails started to fall off, all of them, they slowly pealed back during the hike, nice and slow so no blood flowed.) So yes, I woke up the next morning realizing I was going to have to bushwhack my way up and over a ridge from the valley I was in due to time constraints more or less directly with pretty painful feet, and still, I just thought "well, what ya gonna do?" And off I went. I certainly regretted the footwear,(NRS workboots) but never the hike. My dog and I had a hell of an adventure. I had a pretty uncomfortable night a few weeks ago up in Shenandoah, it was in the 20's with a hell of a windchill up at Rock Springs hut. It was so cold that even with 2 layers of socks in my hammock, I still ended up putting hand warmers in my toes to keep them from freezing. It was a test run for my gear and it failed a bit obviously, but all that night did was make me want to start my hike earlier the next day. And you know what, it was a gorgeous day that next day. I couldn't help thinking how I would feel if I was actually on the A.T. for the duration and I was looking at weeks of that freezing always cold weather and I the decision was, Hell yea! Just a chance to test myself. Anyway I finally finished the ADK 46 high peaks last year so now the A.T. is my only major goal. I have other ones like, I plan on hiking the Adirondack long trail this year to test out what it is like to go through towns and stuff on a hike and figure out mail drops or bounce boxes, and I plan on getting out as often as I can in between. Though living in Southern Maryland it is a substantial time and gas cost to get anywhere worth hiking. Alright I feel better no expressing my ellated frustration. If anyone reads this, have a great hike!!
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

It was nice to read about someone else whose hike is still years away. I'm planning mine for 2018. That's FIVE YEARS away but I decided to start recording the journey now on a blog. I want to go now soooo badly too but I have to wait. I will keep following your progress via your journal. Good luck!
    man you guys should consider yourselves LUCKY! Youu have the option to hike when ever you want.... i have 3 years to go until my contract for the USMC is over in November 2015 then shortly after that in march or april of 2016 I'm GONE off to the AT for as long as i feel like I'm looking at gear now and i feel your pain i wanna just pack up and leave tomorrow... hahaha good luck on your planning!
    -Devil_dog
    My hike is planned for 2017 and like you, ever since I set my date, my constant thought is "I'd rather be on the trail today". But I have a lot of equipment together and practicing to do. I've never done more than a day hike before so I have no idea what it's like to carry a "real" pack, set up a tent by myself, etc. I have no doubts I can do it, just haven't. I graduate from nursing school in May and my youngest graduates from high school in 2016. Gives me 4 years to put away some $$ and get some gear. Then I can spend 6 mos on the trail trying to figure out what life after 50 looks like. Can't wait!
    solunds great...I'm on target for my hike 3/21/2015. Been planning and saving since early 2011. Had to take care of 6 months of back home needs. (mortgage, utilities..insurance...etc, etc.) CAN'T WAIT!!!