WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Sully2013

Days 4 and 5

Rate this Entry
Day 4 was a zero day and we needed it. My youngest had a fever most of the day and we continued the benadryl with some motrin for her insect bite. Although I think some of her sickness was probably from sun exposure. It was pretty hot on day 3. The rest of us just stayed in bed most of the day including the dog.

Day 5 went wonderful! We had rain for a lot of the day which made our walk much nicer in the cooler weather. We made great time and did close to 13 miles. But 2.4 of those miles didn't count because we missed our turn. My feet are a continuing problem. I stopped to get some supplies at the store and accidentally ran over my middle toenail with the shopping cart. This is the same nail that is bruised from my shoe. It feels funny and loose especially after being in rain soaked shoes all day. I already had one blister on the side of my big toe that I covered with a band-aid which didn't do much good. As my socks and shoes were soaked I now have other blisters on my feet. I'm hoping my husband can find mole skin at CVS.

When we started this walk I questioned whether I could really learn much that would be applicable to the colder mountains of the A.T. I debated if doing this was worth the trouble. But I feel that it is worth it. I now know a lot of the problems people have on the trail pertain to the repeated wear and tear of getting up and walking hours on end with a pack.

Tomorrow will be our first day that my husband will not pick us up and bring us back home. We will be staying in hotels from now on until my father can pick us up further down the road.

-Sully
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized