WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

bgood360

I Can Boil Water!

Rate this Entry
Normally, this proclamation would either elicit a response of "Well, I would hope so; people have been doing it for years" or "Uh oh -- what have you been up to?"

In this case, it's simply a matter of my surprise that my Super Cat Alcohol Stove actually works. I know, I know -- hundreds of hikers if not more have punched holes in cat food cans, poured in some alcohol, and fixed themselves coffee, tea, or a hot meal without fanfare. But, we're talking about me here. We're talking about Me + Open Flame + 190 proof Everclear, not to mention poking holes in a can and whatnot all without setting my sweater on fire or piercing a major artery (well, technically, I suppose they're all major).

And, let's not forget the most important thing: Without over-thinking the whole endeavor. There were no attempts to optimize hole punch size, exactly calibrate the distance between holes, build some sort of multi-part ancillary pot stand, or otherwise muck with the sublime simplicity of the stove's design.

It just works.

How awesome is that? Such a simple design and it does what it's supposed to. Indeed, what I like most about such designs -- particularly the Super Cat Alcohol Stove and its brethren -- is that you're actually making something by starting with something else and removing stuff from it. That is, you take the can and you completely change the nature and purpose of the object -- nay, make it an even more interesting object -- by punching holes in it (removing bits of the metal).

Eh, forget the philosophy; I can now practically guarantee myself hot coffee every morning. Now we're talking.

On a more serious note, it was a fun project because I pulled Dad into it and we had a grand time torturing a handful of cans, dinking with makeshift windscreens, timing the boil and complete burn time, and figuring out the optimum amount of alcohol to use. There was probably a laundry list of things we should've been doing (for me, billable client hours and wrapping up my trail planning; for Dad, whatever was on his Honey Do list from Mom, maybe checking in on work at the office, and so on), but playing with that simple little stove was a good way to spend the afternoon. I'd say the Appalachian Trail is already paying off.

-- Hat, 2012 NOBO AT

Updated 02-17-2012 at 22:52 by bgood360

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

And, yes, I know there are more economical fuel choices than 190 proof Everclear, but this was in the name of experimentation!