WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

bgood360

The North Face Cats Meow versus the Osprey Exos 46 (Part 2)

Rate this Entry
Thanks to all who offered via comments and PMs their comments, insight, and suggestions on my Cats Meow and issues with getting it stuffed into my Exos 46.

I ended up getting a mont-bell :: U.L.SUPER SPIRAL DOWN HUGGER #5 LONG from Village Outfitters here in W-S. Yes, I realize that the #5 is a 40° bag and the Cats Meow is a 20° bag, but I'm hoping that the tent, tent pad, sleeping pad, decent layering, hot water in a Nalgene bottle, and a little something to eat before tucking in will make up the difference. If not, y'all are welcome to pick through my gear and take what you want, just don't disturb the body.

Of course, being the dork that I am, I had to climb into the bag and try it out that night. The bag, indeed, is toasty warm (I went and tried it out on the front porch for about 15 minutes in 33 degree weather -- a far cry, I know, from sleeping eight hours in 20 degree temps, but what do you expect me to do? Go down to a local restaurant and ask if I can borrow their walk-in freezer for a few hours?) and allowed for all sorts of movement. I am typically a light sleeper (well, except when Jameson is involved, or a shot or two of Yadkin Valley's finest apple pie is involved), so I'm excited about being able to reposition while I sleep and not wake up because I feel constrained.

Coming in at 1 pound, 2 ounces, the Super Spiral is a bit lighter than my Cat's Meow, so that's good, too. Most impressive, though, given my original problem, was that the sleeping bag stuffs down to a package about the size of a Nerf football. I could never get my 12 year old Cat's Meow to compress any smaller than a wad about 14 inches by 12 inches. I'm sure the newer ones go smaller, but the older ones sure don't.

So, my Big Four are all settled on, weighed in, and trial packed. While I'm a little worried about the Super Spiral Down Hugger #5 only being rated down to 40 degrees, I suppose I can box up the Cat's Meow and have it mailed to me along the way if after a few nights I find the new bag inappropriate -- I can always figure out, if pressed, how to affix it to the outside of the Exos backpack, though I hope it doesn't come to that. I really like the idea of keeping my bag in my pack rather than outside, where it'd throw off the pack's balance.

Alright, I've rattled on long enough -- time to take out the dog again.

-- Hat, 2012 NOBO AT

Updated 02-08-2012 at 22:49 by bgood360

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments