WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Troll's 2010 AT Journal

02 May 2010

Rate this Entry
02 May 2010, Hughs Gap
We got dropped off at Iron Mountain Gap this morning. My pack felt very heavy this morning. As I was walking I was trying to think why it would feel so heavy. After some time of thinking I realized I never went through my food bag before I left and I have way too much food for three days of hiking. When I arrived at the Greasy Creek Friendly trail the rest of the group was there. I would like to think that they were waiting for me but Popcorn was there and they were talking to him. He was getting ready to head down to the Greasy Creek Friendly Hostel on the side trail. I went through me food bag while Popcorn was there and took out a roll of bagels, jar of peanut butter, tuna packages and he said he would take them down to the hostel and put them in the hiker box. After I repacked everything I could notice the difference right away.

We made it to Clyde Smith Shelter at 11:30 and ate a snack and contemplated what to do with the upcoming storm that was supposed to be coming in this after noon. I suggested that we hike to Hughes Gap and call the Greasy Creek Hostel for a ride then stay there and wait out the weather. If the weather was bad tomorrow we could take a zero day. We did not want to go over Roan Mountain in the rain and thunderstorms. Everyone agreed. I called and talked to CC and she said we had to make it to Hughes Gap within the next hour and a half because she had to make a run to Damascus.

Truth had decided to move on but came back just as we were making arrangements with the hostel. He said a higher voice had told him to come back. He did not want to come to the hostel with us, he stayed at the shelter.

While walking it dawned on me that CC had said she was going to Damascus. That was where Hopper was. I told Krispy Kritter, Limestone and Bismarck that I wanted to try to get into Damascus to see Hopper and I would move ahead to the road crossing to call CC. I picked up my pace and made it to the pickup point and called the hostel. I wanted to try and get in on the shuttle to Damascus to see Hopper. Once at the pickup point I called CC and let her know where were there. In reality I was the only one there but I wanted to assure she had not left for Damascus yet. About 1/2 hour later everyone else showed up. They all gave me a hard time. They said they had never seen anyone move so fast. They said I took off like a rocket. They said once I started moving I was a blur until I was out of sight. From that day one they would accuse me of pink blazing and I would never hear the end of it from them.

When I go to the hostel CC told me that she was making a run to Damascus to take a hiker there. I was excited because that was where Hopper was and I talked her and the other hiker into letting me tag along. I called Hopper and told her I was coming. When we arrived CC gave me ½ hour to have dinner with Hopper before we headed back. Hopper was not very nice to me while I was there. I thought she would be happy to see me. I felt like it was a wasted visit. When I got back to the Hostel Hopper called and apologized for not being in a good mood.

The hostel here is full tonight and some of the people here have been around for three or so days.

Here are the people I can remember or know: G-Hippie, Logos, Earthling, I-40, Bimbo, Draggin Tail, Sherpa, Rider,
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2407.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	721.4 KB 
ID:	11367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2408.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	721.4 KB 
ID:	11368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2409.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	610.6 KB 
ID:	11369   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2411.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	632.1 KB 
ID:	11949  
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
2010 thru hike

Comments